Russia

33 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

A Russian economist has some bad news for the Russian people. They are not far away from a cratering economy. 

Here's the whole thread, translated:

Many people ask me to comment on the sanctions.

In short, my scientific conclusion as a professor of finance, doctor of the University of Chicago is f#&%ED.

And double f#&%ed up that the inhabitants of Russia, even the educated, for the most part do not understand what awaits them. I explain on...

.. fingers.

Very soon, the Russians will face a shortage of basic products. I'm not talking about all kinds of iPhones, the import of which has already been banned, but about food, clothes, cars, household appliances, etc.

Russia is very strongly integrated into world trade. And already the largest operators refuse ...

...send containers to Russia. But even if a miracle happens and Russia finds someone who is ready to send containers to Russia for three meters, the question is how to pay for it? Export earnings will decrease significantly, as all buyers will try to abandon Russian ...

..goods. We see that even non-sanctioned oil companies cannot find buyers for their oil. Gazprom, the main exporter of gas, is already under sanctions, that is, it is generally unclear how it will receive foreign exchange earnings. The Russian Central Bank has accumulated a huge money-box, 650 billion ...

.. dollars. Only more than half of these reserves have already been arrested, and what to do with gold is also not very clear. Few banks in the world will want to buy it from the Russian Central Bank, so as not to fall under sanctions or huge fines themselves. Many people think that Russia over the past years ...

.. built a bunch of factories, only all these factories - automobile, aviation, household appliances, etc. actively use imported components. That is, in the coming months, we will face the shutdown of entire industries with all the ensuing consequences - a shortage of goods, mass...

... unemployment, respectively, a fall in tax collection and, as a result, problems with the payment of salaries to state employees.

Planes, even inside Russia, will also soon stop flying. After all, almost all of them are imported, and the West has already been banned from supplying spare parts. Therefore, we will soon see a massive...

.. decommissioning of aircraft.

The Internet as we knew it will also be shut down. They have already blocked a bunch of information sites, one of these days they are going to block Wikipedia. Twitter and Facebook are already slowing down. Going to shut down YouTube. About agriculture. Are you aware that..

..in Russia, the share of imported seeds is almost 40%? And for potatoes, the share of imported seeds is 90%? That is, of course, farmers will come up with something over time, but at least in the short term, we should expect a shortage of basic agricultural products and a sharp rise in prices. And that's not all either..

..Everyone who can leave the country will start to leave. Already actively felled. The government understands this, which is why they introduced a bunch of measures today to keep IT people. Only they won't work. Therefore, it is very likely that exit visas will soon be introduced for certain categories or completely ...

... will close the country.

The only plus from this story is that those who are nostalgic for the USSR will be able to feel all its delights in their own skin. And it will not be a relatively herbivorous USSR like Khrushchev-Brezhnev-Gorbachev, but a USSR headed by a crazy dictator.

P.S. Here is today's news, illustrating the scenario described in the thread. Avtovaz has already stopped. And it seemed that it should not depend on imports at all Avtovaz will suspend the assembly of cars due to a shortage of electronic components. Work was stopped for four days

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Hopefully something can be worked out. This seems way more reasonable. 

I think any agreement should involve Russia financing the rebuild of what they have destroyed.  Of course, sanctions will affect their ability to do so but perhaps any reductions in sanctions can be tied to rebuilding Ukraine. Russia needs to be held responsible for their aggression

Russia also has occupied the land between the 2 breakaway providences and Crimea - creating a land bridge to Crimea.  That land needs to go back to Ukraine.     

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Hopefully something can be worked out. This seems way more reasonable. 

I disagree.  This is like letting the bully keep some of the lunch money because he got a little blood on his shirt.

I guess it's up to Ukraine, but screw Putin and his demands.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I disagree.  This is like letting the bully keep some of the lunch money because he got a little blood on his shirt.

I guess it's up to Ukraine, but screw Putin and his demands.  

Theres a lot to consider. I wish it was as easy as 'We need to punish Putin', but we have to acknowledge Putin holds bargaining chips too. Theres the continuing loss of life if the war rages on, on top of that Russia holds the keys to lessening the blow of skyrocketing fuel, energy and food costs that are gonna be felt everywhere - even places that can't afford it. 

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

Theres a lot to consider. I wish it was as easy as 'We need to punish Putin', but we have to acknowledge Putin holds bargaining chips too. Theres the continuing loss of life if the war rages on, on top of that Russia holds the keys to lessening the blow of skyrocketing fuel, energy and food costs that are gonna be felt everywhere - even places that can't afford it. 

I know.  It just really pisses me off.

He'll most likely get what he wants and in a few years everyone will have just moved on, me included...

30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There's zero good exit strategy for Putin on this. He's absolutely showing his a$$ here.

This gives me heavy American revolution vibes with the guerilla militias hiding in forests when the proud British would march in line with drums and bright red coats.

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

He'll most likely get what he wants and in a few years everyone will have just moved on, me included...

Some things will be around for a very long time. 

A more united and committed EU for one. The commitments to energy independence will continue. No state is going to want to depend so heavily on Russia for oil or gas. Military spending by NATO members will increase, especially by Germany and Baltic states.

So while the general public will no doubt move on shortly, the political environment, especially in Europe has turned against Russia in a way that will take them far longer to recover from. 

The ultimate irony is that in 15 years, Ukraine is pretty likely to deepen their ties with the West and their economy will grow and prosperity. Russia, increasingly isolated and demand for oil and gas low, will be poorer and worse off.

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Side note, if we want to bring it home to American politics. Republicans are gonna clean house on upcoming elections. The not dumb ones are going hard after Putin, so they look tough on Russia. And when food and fuel prices go through the roof this year they'll pin it all on Dems owning all 3 branches. 

7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Side note, if we want to bring it home to American politics. Republicans are gonna clean house on upcoming elections. The not dumb ones are going hard after Putin, so they look tough on Russia. And when food and fuel prices go through the roof this year they'll pin it all on Dems owning all 3 branches. 

They can only win two branches. But I agree, it's extremely likely Republicans take the House and the Senate.

After the 2024 election, where the Senate map is heavily favored by the GOP, Republicans will be pushing 56-58 Senate seats despite their Senators receiving millions of fewer votes. It's likely more than a decade before Democrats have a chance to win the chamber back, if not longer. 

• Plus1 1