*** 2020 Recruiting ***

Mavric

I think 2020 will show the typical classes Frost can pull in before we start playing in/winning championships regularly, assuming we have a good season in 2019. The topic’s been beaten to death already but we were somewhat behind on the 2019 class and now it feels like we’re fully caught up with lots of offers out a full year before the next recruiting class’s signing day. 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I think 2020 will show the typical classes Frost can pull in before we start playing in/winning championships regularly, assuming we have a good season in 2019. The topic’s been beaten to death already but we were somewhat behind on the 2019 class and now it feels like we’re fully caught up with lots of offers out a full year before the next recruiting class’s signing day. 

FWIW Schaefer is extremely confident the 2020 class will be top 15 or better by this time next year. Lots of big names we are on.

Some of these 2020 kids already have a "first" impression of NU with the 4 wins.  The recruits should get a second impression of a much higher W # and a nice season turnaround in 2019.  Many programs already have a core group of "commits" for 2020.  It should be a great class thou.

I really think 2021 will be the first class where kids have a true 2 year feel of how NU will look going forward and we will be on an even recruiting slate with the top teams.

11 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Some of these 2020 kids already have a "first" impression of NU with the 4 wins.  The recruits should get a second impression of a much higher W # and a nice season turnaround in 2019.  Many programs already have a core group of "commits" for 2020.  It should be a great class thou.

I really think 2021 will be the first class where kids have a true 2 year feel of how NU will look going forward and we will be on an even recruiting slate with the top teams.

When you start thinking about the things that need to occur and how far off they are it's kind of discouraging.  Only a few players from '20 and '21 will contribute immediately so we're still looking at 2-3 years of development for most players.  I believe it's been pointed out several times that the playoff teams have recruiting classes with 4 year average in the top 10.  Assuming we aren't going to significantly defy the odds, you start wondering how long will it take for our on field success to improve to the point we could start pulling in top 10ish classes.  I believe we have brought in enough talent and have the coaching staff to be a solid top 25 team by '20 so is that enough to pull in a very good recruiting class?  I'm a little surprised how well this class has turned out so the coaches have done a good job selling their vision.  With continuous on field improvement each year recruits will keep buying into the vision and more talented recruits will take notice.  It seems like it will be a long process and at least 5 years from now before we are contenders again.  Sit back and enjoy the journey I guess.

3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Key part is So far...

5 spots left, I would assume we grow a bit and I dont know about you but I feel like this is a much better class than last years but i guess ratings never lie....

Here is what I would say

When comparing the top 6 rated players from the 2018 and 2019 classes, I think 2019 overall is better and will likely contribute more as a group than 2018.

4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Here is what I would say

When comparing the top 6 rated players from the 2018 and 2019 classes, I think 2019 overall is better and will likely contribute more as a group than 2018.

I am lazy, so can you give me the list of the two groups of top 6.

Just curious.

I think the biggest difference is scheme fit. I feel like last year they were trying to get bodies in. This year it seems more focused.

It also helped that the State of Nebraska had a really good group of guys that Frost and Co were able to close on.

Plenty of room for improvement. but they still were up against it. 2020 might be a better gauge. 

7 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I am lazy, so can you give me the list of the two groups of top 6.

Just curious.

I think the biggest difference is scheme fit. I feel like last year they were trying to get bodies in. This year it seems more focused.

It also helped that the State of Nebraska had a really good group of guys that Frost and Co were able to close on.

Plenty of room for improvement. but they still were up against it. 2020 might be a better gauge. 

2018:

Screenshot_20181220-124048_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4819e6063b47e27c9070b445943cbee8.jpgScreenshot_20181220-124059_Chrome.thumb.jpg.029a5d95ae5f64385b165b666ed751bc.jpg

2019:

Screenshot_20181220-124016_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4700b4bd38213852d3f85c11d024e43e.jpgScreenshot_20181220-124028_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a100412ff1cc35965e7a0e2897bc4185.jpg

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Here is what I would say

I don't know about 2019 compared to 2018.  However, I am pretty dang confident that the top players in both 2018 and 2019, will out perform the top players in the previous 10 classes.  THAT is a direct result of the staff and the culture they are building.  That is a huge part of what I'm excited about.  Way too often we have had our top players flame out and not contribute.  I feel that won't happen nearly as often.

I believe once top recruits start seeing that happen, we will start getting more of those top recruits and we will see a jump in our class rankings.

We desperately can use a good season next year to keep building excitement around the program.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't know about 2019 compared to 2018.  However, I am pretty dang confident that the top players in both 2018 and 2019, will out perform the top players in the previous 10 classes.  THAT is a direct result of the staff and the culture they are building.  That is a huge part of what I'm excited about.  Way too often we have had our top players flame out and not contribute.  I feel that won't happen nearly as often.

I believe once top recruits start seeing that happen, we will start getting more of those top recruits and we will see a jump in our class rankings.

We desperately can use a good season next year to keep building excitement around the program.

I agree that development and retention at the top of the classes is an absolute must