*** 2020 Recruiting ***

Mavric

13 minutes ago, Decked said:

Smothers is criminally underrated. I think he gets bumped up to a four star while Betts becomes either a low 4 (he’s too high IMO), or a high 3. 

I agree on Smothers. Not sure if I fully agree on Betts- 1620 was saying he doesnt have much of a QB to get him the ball and his SPARQ score from the opening is pretty awesome. 4th highest at the camp. Overall score of 122

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, is this more 25-28 now?

Without Bland, we are at 72 for 2020 right now.  That's 3 current commits and 13 open so that's still only 16 total spots in this class.  There will probably be a couple more departures this year and plan to over-sign by a couple so I still think 22-25 is pretty accurate.  I'm sure they were planning on some attrition.

26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Dunno. I just looked through 2019 at Mavric's posts (before I thought about the fact I could just look at the dates on rivals - although those don't include recruits who decommited).

That is what I did but I couldnt find the 5th..  You are right, it must have been a recruit that decommitted. 

I am wondering if there is a thread or discussion somewhere in the various topics on the board as to the general methods and processes and approaches taken by Frost and Co in recruiting?    By this I mean to ask how are they approaching these prospects, etc.   

I seem to recall Frost saying something to the effect that he really doesn't want kids to 'commit' too early as in before they have fully visited and experienced games, looked over campus, etc etc.   He has also said basically that he wants to be sure the kids they recruit want to be Huskers and know what they are getting into and are fully committed to football and working as hard as possible to be successful and contribute to the team goals.  I realize these are in some ways rather generic and kind of 'obvious' types of things as it would make no sense to recruit or sign scholarship guys who are lazy and or not interested in coming to Nebraska to school etc.

But, I wonder how and why we have apparently made around 500 'offers' based on the names and profiles shown for Classes '20 and '21 when we can only honor around 50 or so?

Surely they could not have already done the background work and verified the apparent interest in being Huskers and desire and etc for all of these guys?    Or maybe we have?

But if so, then can we infer based on the offer dates that those offered first were the ones we are most interested in and those offered later are the 'seconds, thirds, fourths and fifths?

Also, can we also infer that since we have seen little or no response to the early offers,  most of them have no interest and we have moved on?

Or, is our recruiting approach more aptly described as a shotgun approach and we are basically just offering about everybody who is anybody in hopes of finding some interest out there kind of like radiowave signals being beamed out into deep space in search of life beyond our solar system?

I am not beig negative - rather I am just trying to get a feel for what the challenge and process is really like.  I am pleased the Coaches and staff are out there beating the bushes trying to get the talent we so desperately need to compete for championships.   I am just looking to get a better understanding of how they are actually going about doin  it?  

For those on the board who have some knowledge and insight into this, point me to the right places or maybe this will stimulate a discussion of relevance and interest to many as there seems very little of late to be going on ? 

48 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I am wondering if there is a thread or discussion somewhere in the various topics on the board as to the general methods and processes and approaches taken by Frost and Co in recruiting?    By this I mean to ask how are they approaching these prospects, etc.   

I seem to recall Frost saying something to the effect that he really doesn't want kids to 'commit' too early as in before they have fully visited and experienced games, looked over campus, etc etc.   He has also said basically that he wants to be sure the kids they recruit want to be Huskers and know what they are getting into and are fully committed to football and working as hard as possible to be successful and contribute to the team goals.  I realize these are in some ways rather generic and kind of 'obvious' types of things as it would make no sense to recruit or sign scholarship guys who are lazy and or not interested in coming to Nebraska to school etc.

But, I wonder how and why we have apparently made around 500 'offers' based on the names and profiles shown for Classes '20 and '21 when we can only honor around 50 or so?

Surely they could not have already done the background work and verified the apparent interest in being Huskers and desire and etc for all of these guys?    Or maybe we have?

But if so, then can we infer based on the offer dates that those offered first were the ones we are most interested in and those offered later are the 'seconds, thirds, fourths and fifths?

Also, can we also infer that since we have seen little or no response to the early offers,  most of them have no interest and we have moved on?

Or, is our recruiting approach more aptly described as a shotgun approach and we are basically just offering about everybody who is anybody in hopes of finding some interest out there kind of like radiowave signals being beamed out into deep space in search of life beyond our solar system?

I am not beig negative - rather I am just trying to get a feel for what the challenge and process is really like.  I am pleased the Coaches and staff are out there beating the bushes trying to get the talent we so desperately need to compete for championships.   I am just looking to get a better understanding of how they are actually going about doin  it?  

For those on the board who have some knowledge and insight into this, point me to the right places or maybe this will stimulate a discussion of relevance and interest to many as there seems very little of late to be going on ? 

Didn't even have to look at the name to know who wrote this. :P

As to the many offers, I think our staff is using their extensive connections and offering kids that are recommended and who they like their film and measurables.  I think the offers are more of a "we are interested, let's get to know each other better" type of situation.

I would also not say just because recruits aren't putting stuff all over social media that they aren't interested.  I know we got at least a few commits out of the blue last cycle.  Less "rah rah, look at me" type approach and more "let's get to work" type approach.

• Thanks 1
On 4/25/2019 at 11:27 PM, Mavric said:

Without Bland, we are at 72 for 2020 right now.  That's 3 current commits and 13 open so that's still only 16 total spots in this class.  There will probably be a couple more departures this year and plan to over-sign by a couple so I still think 22-25 is pretty accurate.  I'm sure they were planning on some attrition.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/2016-huskeronline-com-scholarship-distribution-chart

24/7 shows us at 81 of 85 currently with 14 seniors, so 67ish. Are we just going to fill those 4 scholarships with walkons for the Fall or are we trying to add more 2019 contributors? 

15 minutes ago, theknife said:

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/2016-huskeronline-com-scholarship-distribution-chart

24/7 shows us at 81 of 85 currently with 14 seniors, so 67ish. Are we just going to fill those 4 scholarships with walkons for the Fall or are we trying to add more 2019 contributors? 

We are apparently still looking at a couple 2019 guys but I'd guess maybe one at the most.  Might be in the market for a grad transfer or two.  The others will go to walk-ons, with Warner and Armstrong at the top of the list.