*** 2020 Recruiting ***

Mavric

Reports are the staff is still planning on 22-25 at this point.  

The Staff is definitely working on OLB and WR.  Other than that, CB would be my top priority.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LOGAN SMOTHERS
RB - 2 - SEVION MORRISONMARVIN SCOTT
WR - 3-4 - ZAVIER BETTSWILLIAM NIXONLawaun Powell, Logan Loya, Johnquai Lewis, Rico PowersThad JohnsonBrenden RiceJUCO Omar ManningXavier HillDonavon JohnsonRishard Densmore
TE - 1 - 
OT - 2-3 - TURNER CORCORAN, ALEX CONN
OG/C - 1-2 - Paula Vaipulu, Chandler Durham

NT - 2 - NASH HUTMACHER, Marquis Black, Alex Harrison
DE - 2 - Tuli Tuipulotu
ILB - 1-2 - Choe Bryant-StrotherDevyn CurtisMister WilliamsDerrick LewisCaleb McCulloughDesmond Tisdol

OLB - 2-3 - BLAISE GUNNERSON , Brennon Scott, Kaden Johnson, Regen Terry, Morven Joseph

CB - 2-3 - TAMON LYNUMChristopher TownselDarion Green-Warren, Kendrick Simpkins
S - 1-2 - Xavion Alford

ATH - Jalen SuggsJaquan Randolph

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Are we in on any Colorado recruits in this cycle that would be watching this game more intently?  I looked through the first two pages and didn't see any fro Colorado.  It surprised me.

We have been after several but haven't had much luck.  OT Reece Atteberry (Michigan), TE Kole Taylor (LSU), DT Aidan Keanaaina (Notre Dame) and C Carson Lee (Colorado) have all committed elsewhere.  OT Roger Rosengarten is probably going to Oregon.  OT Andrew Gentry looks to be the only one still on the board for 2020.

For 2021, OT Trey Zuhn is a target.  He was here last weekend and will be in Boulder tomorrow.  Coaches will be at his game tonight.  

For 2022, we are after WR Gavin Sawchuk (HS teammate of of McCaffrey).  Coaches will be at his game tonight.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We have been after several but haven't had much luck.  OT Reece Atteberry (Michigan), TE Kole Taylor (LSU), DT Aidan Keanaaina (Notre Dame) and C Carson Lee (Colorado) have all committed elsewhere.  OT Roger Rosengarten is probably going to Oregon.  OT Andrew Gentry looks to be the only one still on the board for 2020.

For 2021, OT Trey Zuhn is a target.  He was here last weekend and will be in Boulder tomorrow.  Coaches will be at his game tonight.  

For 2022, we are after WR Gavin Sawchuk (HS teammate of of McCaffrey).  Coaches will be at his game tonight.

It seems like Nebraska isn't in on as much 4* talent this cycle.

Topping 7-8 4* players, like we had last year, seems like a long shot.

Hopefully this changes. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Hopefully this changes. 

I'm not going to argue that it does feel a bit like that right at the moment.

We have two four-stars on the 247 Composite right now.  Gunnerson is right on the edge but 247 has him easily as a four-star so I think he'll end up there on the Composite after Rivals sees more of him (he was hurt last year).

So with 10 commits we (likely) have three.  If we take 22-23 we'd be on pace for 7.  We don't seem to be solidly in the lead for any others right at the moment.  But you could have probably said the same thing at this time last year and we ended up with Wan'Dale, NPG, Benhart and Ty Robinson.  Plus Chase and Houston who just missed being four-stars on the Composite.

So I don't know if I'd exactly call it a long shot at this point.  Definitely some work to do.  I think a lot of it will hinge on how we do on the field.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Hopefully this changes. 

I agree. Little disappointed right now because I thought recruiting would be up this year. But there is always a chance kids we are after or are currently committed could get a late bump. 

Wandale got big bumps at year end.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not going to argue that it does feel a bit like that right at the moment.

We have two four-stars on the 247 Composite right now.  Gunnerson is right on the edge but 247 has him easily as a four-star so I think he'll end up there on the Composite after Rivals sees more of him (he was hurt last year).

So with 10 commits we (likely) have three.  If we take 22-23 we'd be on pace for 7.  We don't seem to be solidly in the lead for any others right at the moment.  But you could have probably said the same thing at this time last year and we ended up with Wan'Dale, NPG, Benhart and Ty Robinson.  Plus Chase and Houston who just missed being four-stars on the Composite.

So I don't know if I'd exactly call it a long shot at this point.  Definitely some work to do.  I think a lot of it will hinge on how we do on the field.

Smothers is a 4 star on Rivals, so if he gets a bump by 247 from a good senior year he could jump up too. Plus this staff seems to have the ability to pull some players out that we've heard nothing about and then boom their committing. So, I'm being patient and hoping a good showing on the field helps.

6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree. Little disappointed right now because I thought recruiting would be up this year. But there is always a chance kids we are after or are currently committed could get a late bump. 

Wandale got big bumps at year end.

I think 4-8 last year is still hurting us. We need a good showing this year to help finish 2020 and set 2021 up to be an top class.

• Plus1 1
On 9/6/2019 at 11:28 AM, BigRedBuster said:

This is one reason why I was so disappointed in our offensive performance last weekend.  We really need some good football from the team for recruits to see.

Good point.

Today's loss hurt. What can we sell kids on now? It's hard to claim being part of something new, since this is the 3rd class.

And there are a lot of innovative offensive teams out there, so I'm not sure enough high end talent is going to fall for that. 

Nebraska needed a big jump in year 2, and it looks difficult right now. 

• Plus1 1

Get some lineman in here that are next level (that's NFL) talent.  Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Iowa are taking the OL guys that used to come here.  OL will make the 3 star skill guys look all-world.  We need guys that can block up front (been terrible for years) and guys that can get to the QB (seeing some improvement on DL).  

6 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I tell you what he looks able bodied for a big man as well.  He looks like he could be a heckuva target out there.

Was looking some stuff up on him. Last summer, 2018, he tore his patellar tendon while warming up at a Nebraska camp. I am assuming a FNL camp. That's crazy!