*** 2020 Recruiting ***

Mavric

Just now, Landlord said:

If you are using the metric of standing/team ranking over a three year period, then no, you are not right lmao

Whatever man. I was talking about back to back top 20 classes in another thread and how it was the first time we have done that and decided to bring that excitement over here. Be nitpicky if you want to but I'm standing by my statement this is the best 3 year recruiting run since TO

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

I know your rule of not including players unless they have legitimately shown interest.  But, I guess I would have included both Robinson and Slusher even though they are both committed elsewhere.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know your rule of not including players unless they have legitimately shown interest.  But, I guess I would have included both Robinson and Slusher even though they are both committed elsewhere.

Yeah, I've been going back and forth on those two.  They should probably be included since they visited after they committed elsewhere.  I usually take guys out if they commit elsewhere but when the order is reversed they should probably be included.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:32 PM, Mavric said:

I remain cautiously worried about DE.

52 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The HOL guys have speculated a few times that Gunnerson has a big enough frame that he will probably grow into a DE.  For whatever that is worth.

Hope we get at least 3 OLB targets. DE is somewhere I’m actually currently comfortable for future. Stille will be a senior with his 3 year of S&C as such, and I think he’s played better than the twins. Thomas will be a junior. Jackson will be in his 4th year (I just wanna see him develop into getting on the field). Newsom and Robinson will both be in their second years. Rogers will be in his 3rd year? And Wildeman will be in his 3rd year.

I like a lot of these guys and the athleticism/size they bring as DEs, mainly because I think the twins are out of position and are true 4-3 DTs

DT is another thing though 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Treand3 said:

I think we'll hit on at least one of the two targets listed. Currently we have 4 roster spots occupied by RS/True Freshmen.

Rogers, Wildeman, Robinson, Newsome correct?

I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers pr Robinson was mainly an NT. We need bodies there next year. 

We only took two Dline guys each of last two years once you factor in Piper and Banks moving. We need bodies. 

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

The HOL guys have speculated a few times that Gunnerson has a big enough frame that he will probably grow into a DE.  For whatever that is worth.

I wondered if he'd take the Stille route. I think that would be like ripping the bandaid off one hole (OLB) to fix another.... unless you hit it big at OLB this class. 

49 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I wondered if he'd take the Stille route. I think that would be like ripping the bandaid off one hole (OLB) to fix another.... unless you hit it big at OLB this class. 

And now in the chat today they all said OLB... :dunno

But if he's already 255, I still think that's likely.  But I'd sure like to find a couple legit edge rushers.  I'm not as worried about DL.  Their first job is eating blockers.  Edge rushers are a different level of athlete that is tough to find.

We have at least two DL in each "class" right now - true frosh, RS frosh, Soph and Jr.  Need to find a younger DT but I think someone can grow into that.  We have Damion, Deontre and Rogers that have already seen action as underclassmen.  So between Robinson, Wildeman, Newsom and Chris Walker, we need probably three more guys to be ready two years from now and that would carry us for another year or two past that.

Still need to keep reloading but I think we're in a pretty good spot right now.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And now in the chat today they all said OLB... :dunno

But if he's already 255, I still think that's likely.  But I'd sure like to find a couple legit edge rushers.  I'm not as worried about DL.  Their first job is eating blockers.  Edge rushers are a different level of athlete that is tough to find.

We have at least two DL in each "class" right now - true frosh, RS frosh, Soph and Jr.  Need to find a younger DT but I think someone can grow into that.  We have Damion, Deontre and Rogers that have already seen action as underclassmen.  So between Robinson, Wildeman, Newsom and Chris Walker, we need probably three more guys to be ready two years from now and that would carry us for another year or two past that.

Still need to keep reloading but I think we're in a pretty good spot right now.

I hope Gunnerson can stay at OLB, we need edge rushers in a bad way. 

I think we are both seeing the picture at DE the same, we need roughly 3 bodies new bodies this class to have ready in a couple years. My concern comes from we only have two legit DE targets right now and one is heavily favored to stay West. The sky isn't falling for me by any means,  I just continue to wait for new names to pop up and so far they aren't.

Joe Moore was mentioned a couple wks ago, wonder if he's still in play. 

3 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I hope Gunnerson can stay at OLB, we need edge rushers in a bad way. 

I think we are both seeing the picture at DE the same, we need roughly 3 bodies new bodies this class to have ready in a couple years. My concern comes from we only have two legit DE targets right now and one is heavily favored to stay West. The sky isn't falling for me by any means,  I just continue to wait for new names to pop up and so far they aren't.

Joe Moore was mentioned a couple wks ago, wonder if he's still in play. 

Yeah, I agree that we don't seem to have much traction in this class. Unless Gunnerson moves which I also agree wouldn't be great because we also need OLB.

Moore was said to be out of the picture a couple months ago but now we're back in the mix.  After that, not really sure.

2 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Rogers, Wildeman, Robinson, Newsome correct?

I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers pr Robinson was mainly an NT. We need bodies there next year. 

We only took two Dline guys each of last two years once you factor in Piper and Banks moving. We need bodies. 

We'll get a DE or two. Not worried

I’m definitely more concerned about OLB than D-line. As someone mentioned earlier, OLB talent/ athleticism is harder to find and is highly sought after.

Frost has taken 3 grad transfer or JUCO D-lineman in the last 2 classes (if I’m not mistaken) and I think that is something we will continue to do. I would love to get another D-lineman or 2 in this class but if we don’t I won’t be as concerned.

I am very concerned about our OLB talent and depth. That’s something to keep an eye on.