*** 2020 Recruiting ***

Mavric

8 hours ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

I know Green-Warren was expecting us tomorrow as well. Think the Michigan momentum keeps us from making the trip? Or we doing that on Friday?

I'm sure we still make the trip.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Where'd this narrative come from?  Is this still from 2 years ago about staying at UCF or going to UF over NU?

That was the story (from some)

• Plus1 1

Reports are the staff is still planning on 22-23 at this point.  Wants to hold a couple spots open for transfers.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LOGAN SMOTHERS
RB - 2 - SEVION MORRISONMARVIN SCOTT
WR - 4 - ZAVIER BETTSWILLIAM NIXONJUCO Omar ManningJustin Robinson*Marcus FlemingAlante Brown
TE - 0 - 
OT - 2 - TURNER CORCORANALEX CONN
OG/C - 0 - 

NT - 2 - NASH HUTMACHERJUCO Jordon Riley
DE - 1-2 - MARQUIS BLACKTuli TuipulotuNusi MalaniJUCO Julius Coates
ILB - 1-2 - JUCO ETEVA MAUGAKeyshawn Greene

OLB - 2-3 - BLAISE GUNNERSON, JUCO JUNIOR AHOKaden JohnsonJimari Butler

CB - 3-4 - TAMON LYNUMRONALD DELANCYDarion Green-WarrenMyles Slusher**Kendall Dennis
S - 0-1 - HENRY GRAYJaiden Francois

*-Current Georgia commit

**-Current Oregon commit

Early Enrollees - Smothers, Corcoran, Gray, Gunnerson, Lynum (maybe Morrison)

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is we are still trying to figure out if we want another OL or not. 

Does this concern/confuse anyone else?

We only have 2 OL commits and no others on the board. One of our persistent weak links in the last couple of decades has been the OL, as Nebraska purists we all know the importance of a strong OL, we all know that a 50% washout rate is not uncommon in each and every recruiting class, and we have often relied on walk-ons to fill spots on the line in many years...yet many years it seems like we bring in only 3-ish OL recruits, and this year we have 2. 

I'm not a recruiting expert, but...why? Can someone explain this to me?

4 minutes ago, Ulty said:

We only have 2 OL commits and no others on the board. One of our persistent weak links in the last couple of decades has been the OL, as Nebraska purists we all know the importance of a strong OL, we all know that a 50% washout rate is not uncommon in each and every recruiting class, and we have often relied on walk-ons to fill spots on the line in many years...yet many years it seems like we bring in only 3-ish OL recruits, and this year we have 2. 

Last year's class had six scholarship Olinemen. That is probably why this class is smaller. 

Jimmy F, Anderson, Lynn, Benhart, Banks & Piper

On 12/10/2019 at 1:07 PM, Mavric said:

People get pretty concerned because they can only see a small piece of what's going on.

I feel pretty confident that they'll be a string of good news starting soon.

I think the cause for concern comes from recruiting PTSD from previous coaching staffs.  How many times over the years have we thought "this class is going to be amazing" only to get burned in the end

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Going from 3 to 2 O line recruits doesn't concern me right now.  We have had a couple good classes of O line and we have some glaring problems at other positions like LB and WR.  So, I understand wanting to bring in maybe an extra LB or WR instead of an OL in this particular class.  Now, if we get into January and it appears that we aren't going to get any more good LBs or WRs interested, I could see them filling out with another OL recruit in February.

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Reports are the staff is still planning on 22-23 at this point.  Wants to hold a couple spots open for transfers.

Word is we are still trying to figure out if we want another OL or not.  With Piper and Banks moving to offense, we aren't in bad shape with young guys.  Considering a JUCO or a HS kid but also might pass on taking another in favor of another WR or OLB, which we have been hitting pretty hard with JUCO offers lately.

QB - 1 - LOGAN SMOTHERS
WR - 4 - ZAVIER BETTSWILLIAM NIXONThad JohnsonJUCO Omar ManningXavier HillJustin Robinson*Lavon Bunkley-SheltonMarcus Fleming
TE - 0-1 - 
OT - 2-3 - TURNER CORCORANALEX CONN
OG/C - 0 - 

NT - 2 - NASH HUTMACHERAlex Harrison
DE - 1-2 - MARQUIS BLACKJUCO JUNIOR AHOTuli TuipulotuNusi MalaniJUCO Julius Coates
ILB - 1-2 - JUCO ETEVA MAUGADesmond Tisdol

OLB - 2-3 - BLAISE GUNNERSON, Brennon ScottKaden JohnsonRegen TerryJared IveyLatarie Kinsler

CB - 3-4 - TAMON LYNUMRONALD DELANCYDarion Green-WarrenMyles Slusher**Kendall Dennis

*-Current Georgia commit

**-Current Oregon commit

Early Enrollees - Smothers, Corcoran, Gray, Gunnerson, Hodge, Lynum (maybe Morrison)

I am curious how many spots will truly be "open" after the first signing day.

Lets say we get 18 signatures and have 5-8 spots open for the second signing period.... I am excited about if they then try more of a "shoot for the stars" route or a "lets just fill some spots" mentality.

Always interesting to see what names come out of nowhere after that person decided not to sign in December and teams are trying to fill spots

11 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I should have taken that out.  I think we're pretty set with the two we have, considering how many we had in last year's class.  Pretty sure we're set on loading up on LBs at this point.

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is we are still trying to figure out if we want another OL or not.  With Piper and Banks moving to offense, we aren't in bad shape with young guys.  Considering a JUCO or a HS kid but also might pass on taking another in favor of another WR or OLB, which we have been hitting pretty hard with JUCO offers lately.

QB - 1 - LOGAN SMOTHERS
WR - 4 - ZAVIER BETTSWILLIAM NIXONThad JohnsonJUCO Omar ManningXavier HillJustin Robinson*Lavon Bunkley-SheltonMarcus Fleming
TE - 0-1 - 
OT - 2-3 - TURNER CORCORANALEX CONN
OG/C - 0 - 

NT - 2 - NASH HUTMACHERAlex Harrison
DE - 1-2 - MARQUIS BLACKJUCO JUNIOR AHOTuli TuipulotuNusi MalaniJUCO Julius Coates
ILB - 1-2 - JUCO ETEVA MAUGADesmond Tisdol

OLB - 2-3 - BLAISE GUNNERSON, Brennon ScottKaden JohnsonRegen TerryJared IveyLatarie Kinsler

*-Current Georgia commit

**-Current Oregon commit

Early Enrollees - Smothers, Corcoran, Gray, Gunnerson, Hodge, Lynum (maybe Morrison)

Mav, really appreciate the work you do on this so if you don't want to change it, don't. But here are a few updates that I think are more reflective of our actual board:

Hodge is still listed as EE. 

I think it's apparent we aren't taking another Oline. 

Add Bulter to OLB list.

Add Riley to D-line list.

Add Brown to WR list. Maybe Hester?

Delete Thad Johnson and Bunkley-Shelton from WR list.

Move Aho to OLB. 

Delete Ivey (or add committed to GT), Terry, Kinsler, Scott from OLB list. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Mav, really appreciate the work you do on this so if you don't want to change it, don't. But here are a few updates that I think are more reflective of our actual board:

Add Bulter to OLB list.

Move Aho to OLB. 

Come on man. Sandwich method. You led with a positive but then didn't end with one.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Add Bulter to OLB list.

Move Aho to OLB. 

Thanks for the help.  Made these changes except for Hester.  Not sure if the interest in reciprocal at this point.