*** 2020 Recruiting ***

Mavric

14 minutes ago, QMany said:

We have out-recruited EVERY B1G West school EVERY YEAR since 2014 (Wisconsin 32nd, Nebraska 35th), yet we have finished T2, 4th, T2, 5th, 5th, T5.  :bang

Exactly.. Recruiting rankings mean nothing if you dont get players that fit your system and you can grow.

Wisconsin picks players that fit their system and they coach them up. 

That being said, if Nebraska can pick guys who fit the system and can coach them, I like our chances because the more talented players should exceed.

Nebraska has to do something with a top 20 recruiting class before I will get too excited.

The one thing I like is they seem to have kids who really want to be here and they are mixing in JUCO kids. 

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that this class won't solve all of the problems.  But, combining the last 3 classes, NU has a strong base to build the long-term success of the program.

I agree but more so the last 2 classes is what I think helps. 2018 was a crap shoot since he didnt get here till December and 2017 was a disaster. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Exactly.. Recruiting rankings mean nothing if you dont get players that fit your system and you can grow.

Wisconsin picks players that fit their system and they coach them up. 

That being said, if Nebraska can pick guys who fit the system and can coach them, I like our chances because the more talented players should exceed.

Nebraska has to do something with a top 20 recruiting class before I will get too excited.

The one thing I like is they seem to have kids who really want to be here and they are mixing in JUCO kids. 

Frost recruits towards fit and skill.  Riley chased stars without regard to fit in system.  Bo reached on way to many, was lazy which lead to 10-15 guys each cycle with questionable character or skill.  If you look at bos or MR classes kids that ended up making it here for camp turned most classes to 25-40 rated classes.  

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Mav, you can check my numbers but we are at 87.   This does not count Betts, Slusher or Gifford.   This means by fall practice, 5 players either need to transfer, graduate, not qualify or quit.  I have no idea who that will be!

I have us at 88 at the moment.  Counting Betts.  So yes.

But we only need to be down to 85 by fall.  Gifford won't count against that number.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I have us at 88 at the moment.  Counting Betts.  So yes.

But we only need to be down to 85 by fall.  Gifford won't count against that number.

Complete guess with no knowledge, but names I would be curious if we see on the team:

Pernell Jefferson

Tony Butler

Jaylin Bradley

Not super clued in, but curious what we do at TE as well....

10 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Complete guess with no knowledge, but names I would be curious if we see on the team:

Pernell Jefferson

Tony Butler

Jaylin Bradley

Not always fair to speculate about such thing.  But .... oh well...

There are often a couple would-be-fifth-year seniors who don't come back.  Butler and Jefferson would be two candidates.  As would Raridon.

My other question marks among older guys would be Bradley and McQuitty.

And it's not going to surprise me if a couple guys who redshirted this past year don't think they're getting a fair shot after spring ball.  Receivers jump out at me - if they couldn't get on the field this past year and we just signed five more, I would almost bet at least one leaves.  Always a surprise or two.

47 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Pernell Jefferson

Tony Butler

Jaylin Bradley

With Omar Manning signed, that gives NU the big-bodied WR that has been missing from the roster.  That should enable Chris Hickman to become a TE full-time.   The coaches are really high on Hickman, and liked the way he developed this past season, especially as a blocker.

EDIT:  I forgot about Travis Vokalek who sat out 2019 as a transfer.  He was offensive scout team player of the year, so he could be another good addition at tight end.