Mavric

*** 2020 Recruiting ***

53 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

This kind of goes for all your updates lately.. can you please post these tweets in these kids respective threads instead of here? 

They all have an area for these types of updates. Thank you!

• Plus1 4
  • Eyeroll 1

Thanks for the tips.  I'm doing this pretty quickly either at work or home but also not every single offer has a profile thread made at the time their offer is tweeted.  Anyway sorry to  be a bother as far as where a post should go...

• Thanks 1

Numbers are a bit fluid until the 2019 class is finished and see who leaves after this semester.  But reports are the staff is still planning on 22-25 at this point.  Numbers for each position are just my guess right now based on need and current roster.  We'll get a better idea what the staff is looking for in the coming months.

Just a reminder that my criteria for this list is to try to keep it to guys who seem to be legitimately interested in Nebraska, which in my book mainly means setting up a visit or having us in their Top 5/10/whatever list.  There are a ton of guys who say they're interested who never end up even visiting.  So the list is pretty small right now but there are a few guys who have put out a favorites list and we'll start to see more as guys visit this spring.

I'm sure I've missed a few so let me know if you notice someone.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LOGAN SMOTHERS
RB - 1-2 - Teriyon Cooper, Reggie Love, Deondre Jackson, Teriyon Cooper
WR - 3-4 - Zavier BettsXavier Watts, Lawaun Powell, Troy Omeire
TE - 1 - 
OT - 2-3 - Reece Atteberry, Turner Corcoran, Jalen St. JohnJeffrey Persi
OG/C - 1-2 -

NT - 1-2 - Kevon Billingsley, Nash Hutmacher, Aidan Keanaaina
DE - 1-2 - 
ILB - 2-3 - 

OLB - 2-3 - Brennon Scott

CB - 2-3 - Dontae Manning
S - 1-2 - Antinio Johnson, Xavion Alford

ATH - Quin Bright

Edited by Mavric
Updated

RB/ATH out of the New York City area. 

ATH from Ft. Myers FL - Jadarious McKnight

WR from the Houston area.  

Another Houston area offer. Strong Side DE.

• Plus1 2

I bet we take a couple OTs in this class also.   When we have players like Corcoran,  Atteberry,  Mills,  Gentry and Raym who are all big time OTs and close by,  you can't ignore them.  I am sure some of them can play inside and perhaps will.  

23 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I bet we take a couple OTs in this class also.   When we have players like Corcoran,  Atteberry,  Mills,  Gentry and Raym who are all big time OTs and close by,  you can't ignore them.  I am sure some of them can play inside and perhaps will.  

If the NFL has taught us anything, it's that half of good CFB OT's are really just tall guards.

How many schollies do you guys think we will offer in-state kids? I think only 3 are deserving at this point, and I'd guess 1-2 more by the end of the year. 

23 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

How many schollies do you guys think we will offer in-state kids? I think only 3 are deserving at this point, and I'd guess 1-2 more by the end of the year. 

Looks like 5 with ratings at this point, who are you thinking? I don't know enough about them beyond the top two WR. The Bellevue RB surprised me by being almost a .86

16 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Looks like 5 with ratings at this point, who are you thinking? I don't know enough about them beyond the top two WR. The Bellevue RB surprised me by being almost a .86

Betts and Watts for sure and I think Miko will end up getting one. He would make a good Nickel defender or WR for us given his athelticism. He reminds me a little of Domann in HS with more speed. Ducker is a possability but I don't believe he will get one, at this point. 

57 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Betts and Watts for sure and I think Miko will end up getting one. He would make a good Nickel defender or WR for us given his athelticism. He reminds me a little of Domann in HS with more speed. Ducker is a possability but I don't believe he will get one, at this point. 

Younger Gifford might be hard pressed to get one too 

4 hours ago, spurs1990 said:

Younger Gifford might be hard pressed to get one too 

Speculation is he'll have one by next fall. 

• Plus1 1

So, now that the spring game is sold out and the atmosphere will be as awesome as a practice can be, I’m jopeing we can get some studs here to see it. 

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, now that the spring game is sold out and the atmosphere will be as awesome as a practice can be, I’m jopeing we can get some studs here to see it. 

I'm guessing it's still Frost's philosophy to do official visits in the fall, but maybe some will make unofficials.

27 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm guessing it's still Frost's philosophy to do official visits in the fall, but maybe some will make unofficials.

I agree with the reason he wants to, but he has to push up that schedule considering we will probably see close to 90% early signees next year. Nebraska can sell an atmosphere that is unrivaled amongst spring games and can be a useful substitute.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Absolutely. Frost has about 10 unused OV’s that expire this summer so they will use them on high priority kids that want to commit before senior year. Spring game environment at UNL is likely as good as about 20 other P5 schools true game day environment.

8 hours ago, brophog said:

I agree with the reason he wants to, but he has to push up that schedule considering we will probably see close to 90% early signees next year. Nebraska can sell an atmosphere that is unrivaled amongst spring games and can be a useful substitute.

This staff is still a few months behind in this cycle so Spring Game 2019 may not be used that much, however starting in 2020 I like your idea of going full court for the SG.  There are probably 30 programs that can sell a great game day atmosphere, however only about 5 that can say the same about the SG. 

1 hour ago, Billsantosa said:

Absolutely. Frost has about 10 unused OV’s that expire this summer so they will use them on high priority kids that want to commit before senior year. Spring game environment at UNL is likely as good as about 20 other P5 schools true game day environment.

I think you're underestimating the # of P5 schools with crappy game day environments.

12 hours ago, brophog said:

I mean, no one in the country plays a home game after the early signing day.... so there really isn't any "moving up" of the schedule if your goal was to get them here for a game in the first place. 

If we win the 9-10 games this year that we should.... this class could be pretty loaded. 

So is this the year that selling out the spring game and the home game atmosphere is finally going to pay dividends with recruiting?

• Eyeroll 2

4 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

So is this the year that selling out the spring game and the home game atmosphere is finally going to pay dividends with recruiting?

Why do you assume it hasn't paid dividends with recruiting? You don't know where our recruiting would be without it.

• Plus1 3

16 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Why do you assume it hasn't paid dividends with recruiting? You don't know where our recruiting would be without it.

You’re right.  Should have phrased it differently. 

• Eyeroll 8

53 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

You’re right.  Should have phrased it differently. 

Sure would like to know why this is getting eyeTrolls.  

• Eyeroll 10

If 2019 was the year of the Garretts, 2020 is the year of the Jalens.  We currently have eight offers out to Jalens for this class.

I wonder if we re-offer Dominick Watt barring academics. GCCC rarely ever threw the ball, but he can be a solid option still IMO 

Love this staff, love the 2019 class.

With that said, all I hear is about how much momentum there is for the 2020 class. However, I don’t see it. If there was so much momentum and the relationships were so much better than the 18 or 19 classes wouldn’t we have more than 1 commit?

31 minutes ago, Sker4Ever said:

Love this staff, love the 2019 class.

With that said, all I hear is about how much momentum there is for the 2020 class. However, I don’t see it. If there was so much momentum and the relationships were so much better than the 18 or 19 classes wouldn’t we have more than 1 commit?

I hear ya. Will show more concern if we haven’t ramped up commitment list by May, until then it’s looking quite good. 

Need to lock down Betts, Watts, Concoran and Hutmacher and it’s all downhill from there.

9 hours ago, Billsantosa said:

I hear ya. Will show more concern if we haven’t ramped up commitment list by May, until then it’s looking quite good. 

Need to lock down Betts, Watts, Concoran and Hutmacher and it’s all downhill from there.

I’m not concerned about them being able to bring in classes like the kart two. 

But, if they are going to improve on them, this is the year to start. 

To get a lot better, they are going to have to show much improvement on the field. So, I don’t expect a big jump in top recruits to commit till the season is underway. 

We we will have some over the summer, but I don’t expect those to be much different recruits than we are used to. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m not concerned about them being able to bring in classes like the kart two. 

But, if they are going to improve on them, this is the year to start. 

To get a lot better, they are going to have to show much improvement on the field. So, I don’t expect a big jump in top recruits to commit till the season is underway. 

We we will have some over the summer, but I don’t expect those to be much different recruits than we are used to. 

I guess I'm just afraid of what might be if we miss on the big fish like Corcoran, Watts, Betts, Hutmacher, etc. I fear the blow we could take if someone like Watts goes to ND. Could stall some momentum from the last classes. But then again, I wouldn't trust anyone more than Scott to keep those guys close to home.

40 minutes ago, Sker4Ever said:

I guess I'm just afraid of what might be if we miss on the big fish like Corcoran, Watts, Betts, Hutmacher, etc. I fear the blow we could take if someone like Watts goes to ND. Could stall some momentum from the last classes. But then again, I wouldn't trust anyone more than Scott to keep those guys close to home.

I think we have a great shot to lock up corcoran, betts and hutmacher. Watts IDK. But honestly i would not consider watts a big fish. He is rated like .85 at the moment. Yes he is local. But if he was from anywhere other than Nebraska we would all be saying who cares he is .85.

51 minutes ago, Sker4Ever said:

If someone like Watts goes to ND...it's a loss of a player we would like to have, but not the end of the world.