*** 2020 Recruiting ***

Mavric

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Word is we can count 1 back so our number is 26.  Probably holding three spots for transfers.  So looking for 23 incoming freshmen.

Any idea position they may target for transfers? Seems like a transfer could maybe plug holes at OLB, OL and WR/RB. 

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Any idea position they may target for transfers? Seems like a transfer could maybe plug holes at OLB, OL and WR/RB. 

Looks like DE will be an emphasis. I wouldn’t be that surprised if we target 2 grad/JUCO transfers on the DLine if there’s room. I’d say WR for sure. But then we just offered a JUCO DB which confuses me because I like where we stand there for next year.

Some of it will depend on attrition. I’m sure they have some expected ones already, but unexpected attrition always happens too. We will be waiting until May anyway when it comes to grad transfers so it might be somewhat fluid through spring.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

So with all of these juco LB offers going out, is that a sign of attrition, coaches don't like the older guys they have now, or just trying to add upper classmen to the depth of those groups? 

Yes..? To maybe all of those.

To me it feels like a mixture of things. First and foremost, they recognize they need wins and some immediate success and they need it now. This has changed the focus from building with long term pieces out of high school to trying to find plug and play depth and competition. 

The second part of it feels like they missed on a lot of those long term players they liked out of high school so instead of reaching on guys out of high school that'll never play they are attempting to plug holes with juco guys. Obviously this juco route wasn't in the game plan all year or there wouldn't be a huge title wave of these offers now.

I don't mind it because I think the kids out of high school that are in this 2020 class are going to be great and also see the value in trying to get to a dang bowl game next year.

• Plus1 3

Yeah, I’d say maybe a bit of everything. Probably also a sign that they don’t *love* where we stand with some prep recruits currently. Someone as good as Kaden Johnson probably wouldn’t commit to us if we took a JUCO, and we probably don’t need to take a JUCO if he’s committing to us. Just as an example.

OLB needs better class balance and to find some kind of immediate spark. Taking a JUCO there makes a ton of sense. At ILB, we lose Barry. But Honas and Miller aren’t exactly bonafide starters in my opinion. Should be an open competition for both starting spots next year. Grabbing a JUCO should add to the overall competition.

The problem is, it’s not like we have endless spots available. The more JUCOs we take, the more likely it is that we will have to keep taking them down the road.