Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this was already posted.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/chinander-fisher-touch-on-new-defensive-culture-we-re-trying/article_c0fef3de-4f10-5d51-bdbf-8a4734d666eb.html

"I went and pushed the biggest button in the room. Lamar Jackson, I pushed his button," Fisher said with a smile. "I said, 'No, you're not going to the NFL.' I don't know if your last coaching staff told you that, but, 'No, you're not good enough.' There were some guys that looked up like, 'Woo.' But that's what I had to do to get guys to understand that you have a lot more inside of you. It's just hidden. You don't want to bring it out because you're so used to even-keel. And there's no such thing as even-keel in football."

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

It takes a very special type of leader/coach to be able to flat out say that and motivate with it instead of demoralize and push away the other person.  Obviously, what Jackson was doing before, wasn't working for him or the team so the risk was worth it.  From what I've gathered, he was able to motivate Jackson to get better.

I'm somewhat surprised he made that conversation public.  But, he must feel that he now has a good enough relationship with Jackson to do that.

I remember when Bo told Suh that he needed to get better before going to the NFL, which is a major reason Suh returned for his senior season.

It worked on Suh and he had one of the most dominant seasons of any player in NCAA history in 2009.  Maybe it'll light a fire under Jackson.

• Plus1 5

14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It takes a very special type of leader/coach to be able to flat out say that and motivate with it instead of demoralize and push away the other person.  Obviously, what Jackson was doing before, wasn't working for him or the team so the risk was worth it.  From what I've gathered, he was able to motivate Jackson to get better.

I'm somewhat surprised he made that conversation public.  But, he must feel that he now has a good enough relationship with Jackson to do that.

That's an awesome mentality i love it ! Many times there's a fine line between the starter, and the rest. Good coaching, hard work, and flat out wanting it more, are often the difference. Jackson in particular IMO,  has the size and physical ability to be a star. I  hope he responds and realizes his potential. Our team will be better off if he does.

22 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That, and/or he may still be looking for ways to push Jackson beyond what he's already done. Coaches are often methodical when they make statements like that to the public, particularly when they know media members are around.

• Plus1 1