Expanding Football Roster Has Title IX, Logistical Issues

Mavric

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yes. I argue that it shouldn't matter because the additional players are paying their own way....

For what it's worth, if they're adding a Women's team, I hope they choose Hockey.

But they aren't paying their own way except for the education part. Walk Ons cost a lot of $. Read Mavric's post. $450,000 for 20 players. If they do these they need to add 20 female walk ons to other programs or make a new team.

Also, people arguing that this will make the team better are missing the point. I think we can all agree it will make the team better and we want that, so it's pointless to discuss that part of it. Discussing it is a way of implying that someone in the discussion doesn't understand this fact. We all want the football team to be good. I care more about football than any female sport UNL has to offer.

I also think people should look into what Title IX did. I wouldn't want anything about it to be reduced in any way. 1 out of 27 girls played high school athletics before it was implemented.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

But they aren't paying their own way except for the education part. Walk Ons cost a lot of $. Read Mavric's post. $450,000 for 20 players. If they do these they need to add 20 female walk ons to other programs or make a new team.

Also, people arguing that this will make the team better are missing the point. I think we can all agree it will make the team better and we want that, so it's pointless to discuss that part of it. Discussing it is a way of implying that someone in the discussion doesn't understand this fact. We all want the football team to be good. I care more about football than any female sport UNL has to offer.

I also think people should look into what Title IX did. I wouldn't want anything about it to be reduced in any way. 1 out of 27 girls played high school athletics before it was implemented.

In no way was I trying to diminish Title lX, or it's importance.

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

In no way was I trying to diminish Title lX, or it's importance.

Everything after "Also, people" was not directed at you. The board merged my replies so I just kept it that way. And several people have argued about the advantages of adding 20 people as if anyone's arguing against that, so I wasn't gonna quote everyone :P

Edited by Moiraine

One factor in favor of Women's Crew/Rowing is the rosters can be much larger than most other women's sports. 

I used to see women's crew practice on the Mississippi River when I lived in Minneapolis, and I think UMN's roster is in the high 30s or low 40s.   I just moved to Tuscaloosa and Alabama's women's crew team is actually pretty popular.  I don't know what sort of revenue it brings in, but there are close to 60 women on the roster with only 4 coaches: http://rolltide.com/roster.aspx?path=wrow

7 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

How is adding 20 walk-ons to the FOOTBALL team taking away opportunity from women?

If someone did that without adding corresponding women's sports, it would be denying an opportunity to ~20 some more potential women who should/could have a chance at playing college athletics, is all.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Lots of good discussion here...

Back in the day there used to be a JV team where the walkons, freshman, and other non-regular players/contributors played, usually on Friday afternoon/evening.  Let's start that again, but make it for the ladies and create a women's football team.  #OpenTryouts

Lingerie football

• Plus1 1

Ha, ha, can’t the University devote a lion’s share of its offered resources and opportunity to men’s athletics, the ones that matter, and get away with it by pretending to care about women’s sports?

There’s probably a measure of this going on already. But balance should be assertive and genuine.

The lingerie comment is telling. Women do not matter, and to the extent that they do they’re most useful or relevant as sex symbols for our consumption. It’s a joke but then it’s not really a joke, and it reflects pretty fairly there way the world works, and the resistance to efforts like Title IX to keep things balanced.

Title IX is a good thing.  It provides opportunities to women that the money generated from a football program can afford.  I dont think many would argue that.

I just dont understand why we need to create more women scholarship athletes in order to add more men non-scholarship athletes.  I understand opportunities need to be created, but couldnt that be achieved by creating more women non-scholarship athletes.  There's got to be 10 women's programs that could add 2 walk-ons each.

• Plus1 2