Expanding Football Roster Has Title IX, Logistical Issues

Mavric

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'm failing to see how it matters that the new female athletes are walk ons. The added men are also walk ons. And most of the walk on football players don't get to play at all.

I think it's the part after noting they were walk-ons they they are trying to draw attention to.

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think it's the part after noting they were walk-ons they they are trying to draw attention to.

I addressed that too though, assuming you mean something in what you quoted. I can’t read the full article.

They practiced separately, I assume because there isn’t enough room, and played a shorter season.

But these new walk ons we’re adding to the football team are, by default of being the last players added, the least skilled. Most/all of them are not going to be playing at all. And it’s not quite the same, but I’m guessing the “last string” walk ons aren’t getting many reps with scholarship players unless they stand out against the other walk ons. 

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Maybe we find a few that can actually contribute

The logistics are the hard part even if they could, because they’d need a separate locker room.

I’d think there would be women out there who can kick field goals as well as men. Punting would be an issue because they have to help stop the punt returner.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:29 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Why not add about 25 more female players to the football team as walk ons ?    I am sure that would grab the headlines across the country and certainly shift the 'balance' of Title IX numbers dramatically.   

Who knows?   Maybe we find a few that can actually contribute and no doubt it will make recruiting the males a lot easier too.   LOL  And these days, with the lunacy of the transgender rules, it may be that there really isn't any male or female athletes or sports for that matter - or in other words, not sure if Title IX is even applicable anymore since there really isn't a male or female - just whatever you feel like you want to be that day.

21 hours ago, Salsa Red said:

We could have a bunch of walk ons say they identify themselves as females then, BOOM no more problems!

These takes are ignorant, offensive, and dumb.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I read the full article and came away with the following impressions:

1) Nebraska is 'meeting' Title IX requirements within what appears to be a realm of acceptability, but whether or not it would fully stand up in an arduous Title IX investigation is unclear.

2) To further qualify point one, it's unclear whether Nebraska (or, really, any number of schools) would stand up to an arduous Title IX investigation because investigations are mostly the result of a complaint/whistleblower system. Right now, nobody is really complaining at NU, and one of the swimmer walk-ons they quoted said they loved the experience.

3) It can be difficult (though not impossible) to prove roster padding. You'd essentially have to prove the rosters being padded are being done so at an uncommon rate compared to similar programs across the country. You'd also have to prove that the players being padded are of unequal value (in this case, to their football counterparts) and thus taking away opportunities from more deserving (in this case, female) athletes.

The one quote in this article that seems to explain the situation best is from Moos when he said they're the "uppermost diligent on compliance as we see it." They're probably not complying with Title IX to the exact letter of the law. But, they're also probably close enough to avoid provable Title IX violations. They're massaging the system like a lot of places would.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I read the full article and came away with the following impressions:

1) Nebraska is 'meeting' Title IX requirements within what appears to be a realm of acceptability, but whether or not it would fully stand up in an arduous Title IX investigation is unclear.

2) To further qualify point one, it's unclear whether Nebraska (or, really, any number of schools) would stand up to an arduous Title IX investigation because investigations are mostly the result of a complaint/whistleblower system. Right now, nobody is really complaining at NU, and one of the swimmer walk-ons they quoted said they loved the experience.

3) It can be difficult (though not impossible) to prove roster padding. You'd essentially have to prove the rosters being padded are being done so at an uncommon rate compared to similar programs across the country. You'd also have to prove that the players being padded are of unequal value (in this case, to their football counterparts) and thus taking away opportunities from more deserving (in this case, female) athletes.

The one quote in this article that seems to explain the situation best is from Moos when he said they're the "uppermost diligent on compliance as we see it." They're probably not complying with Title IX to the exact letter of the law. But, they're also probably close enough to avoid provable Title IX violations. They're massaging the system like a lot of places would.

Having not read the article, would it be accurate or inaccurate to say that the OWH is looking for a story where there isn't one? Or, looking for smoke where there is no fire? 

45 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Having not read the article, would it be accurate or inaccurate to say that the OWH is looking for a story where there isn't one? Or, looking for smoke where there is no fire? 

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being there's a full-on fire, 1 being a non-story) this is probably a 6-7. I wouldn't say it's pot-stirring.

As a former wrestler, it has pained me to see what Title IX has done to the sport on the national collegiate level. I believe that the decline in college wrestling programs has also greatly contributed to the global decline in wrestling (Olympics have actually considered cutting the sport, and did in fact do so.) as so few are now involved in the sport in the US that the worlds largest television market does not pay attention to the sport at the global level. 

That being said, wrestling may now be part of the solution. Women's wrestling clubs nationwide are taking off like crazy. If NU were to add a women's wrestling team, that would be approximately 25 new opportunities for female athletes. What's more wrestling is one of the cheapest sports to add. The only equipment necessary is a mat. 

• Plus1 4
19 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

That being said, wrestling may now be part of the solution. Women's wrestling clubs nationwide are taking off like crazy. If NU were to add a women's wrestling team, that would be approximately 25 new opportunities for female athletes. What's more wrestling is one of the cheapest sports to add. The only equipment necessary is a mat. 

The article sort of touches on this, though not wrestling explicitly. NU would also have to pay coaching salaries, facility upgrades (a women's locker room at the minimum), tuition, additional nutrition expenses, travel costs, etc. 

That said, Nebraska's athletic department would certainly be capable of this type of additional expense. The trouble is that adding onto an existing roster is significantly cheaper, and as long as a measurable effort is put into making it a valuable or "equal" athletic experience compared to other sports, then they're likely OK. Plus, women's wrestling isn't a revenue generating sport, and I'm pretty sure men's isn't either. So, from a bean counting perspective, adding a new women's sport would be a lot of effort and dollars for little reward.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

As a former wrestler, it has pained me to see what Title IX has done to the sport on the national collegiate level. I believe that the decline in college wrestling programs has also greatly contributed to the global decline in wrestling (Olympics have actually considered cutting the sport, and did in fact do so.) as so few are now involved in the sport in the US that the worlds largest television market does not pay attention to the sport at the global level. 

The decline of wrestling, or any sport for that matter, is unfortunate. However, it is not fair or accurate to blame Title IX.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I would say that's a fair question to ask.

Moos brought it up in the past when the topic has come up.  So it's not like they totally came up with this on their own.  So from that standpoint it's fair to say they were following up on the story.  But at the same time I'm not sure when they found out that the athletic department did in fact make some attempt to comply, I'm not sure it was really story-worthy.  My guess is that they thought it would get some people riled up enough to make it a story if they ran with it so they did.

• Plus1 2