Expanding Football Roster Has Title IX, Logistical Issues

Mavric

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Rather than comparing men’s scholarships to women’s scholarships, we should evaluate sports based on whether they generate revenue.

Guess that would have sucked for the most successful team on campus, up until a couple of years ago. 

• Plus1 2
18 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The irony is, with Title IX...it is invariably political.  You literally cannot discuss this topic without being political.  That being said, moving a few of the post is a-okay because I don't really feel the need to say anything further.  This post notwithstanding.  ;)

To be clear, there's a tangible difference between discussing something involving sports and politics and taking pot shots at certain political affiliations. That should've been made clear based on one of the posts that was moved and those that weren't.

• Plus1 1

You know, Ric's idea might not be half bad.

Maybe UNL should be the pioneer in this. Let's get rid of all sports that don't turn a profit, so we're left with only football, men's basketball, and volleyball.

I bet it won't have any effect on fundraising, attendance, or number of students, or on the ability of people with a UNL degree to get jobs.

Edited by Moiraine

I see nothing wrong with adding more sports, both men and women, and increasing the number of participants in both.   With the budget the Athletic Department has, there is no doubt there are plenty of areas of waste, spillage, etc.   Some of the 'benefits' numbers referenced in this discussion of as much as 20,000 a year of 'cost' to bring a single walk on player into the program, seem quite overstated.  If in fact they are spending the kind of money on those 'benefits', they are being wasteful with the money.   Adding another 100 walk ons or even 20 walk on football players and 20 scholarship woment, should not be much more than $500,000 total.  Another player's uniform, food, etc can't be that high.  We don't have to hire a bunch of coaches or add a bunch of new locker rooms, etc. for the FB players certainly.  Another women's sport will cost for coaches, facilities, etc. no doubt but surely if there is enough interest by the women to participate, then they can find ways to attract some fans, money, etc. to off set some of the costs.  In the end, there should be thoughtful ways to find room in a department for this (a 2% of the budget allocation ought to be doable).  The revenue generated by the spring game ticket sales this year alone is basically 'lost and found' money.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I see nothing wrong with adding more sports, both men and women, and increasing the number of participants in both.   With the budget the Athletic Department has, there is no doubt there are plenty of areas of waste, spillage, etc.   Some of the 'benefits' numbers referenced in this discussion of as much as 20,000 a year of 'cost' to bring a single walk on player into the program, seem quite overstated.  If in fact they are spending the kind of money on those 'benefits', they are being wasteful with the money.   Adding another 100 walk ons or even 20 walk on football players and 20 scholarship woment, should not be much more than $500,000 total.  Another player's uniform, food, etc can't be that high.  We don't have to hire a bunch of coaches or add a bunch of new locker rooms, etc. for the FB players certainly.  Another women's sport will cost for coaches, facilities, etc. no doubt but surely if there is enough interest by the women to participate, then they can find ways to attract some fans, money, etc. to off set some of the costs.  In the end, there should be thoughtful ways to find room in a department for this (a 2% of the budget allocation ought to be doable).  The revenue generated by the spring game ticket sales this year alone is basically 'lost and found' money.

Serious question:  Do you read James Joyce, Faulkner Woolf and TS Elliot?

Quote from Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying"

Because I said If you wouldn't keep on sawing and nailing at it until a man cant sleep even and her hands laying on the quilt like two of them roots dug up and tried to wash and you couldn't get them clean. I can see the fan and Dewey Dell's arm. I said if you'd just let her alone. Sawing and knocking, and keeping the air always moving so fast on her face that when you're tired you cant breathe it, and that goddamn adze going One lick less. One lick less. One lick less until everybody that passes in the road will have to stop and see it and say what a fine carpenter he is. If it had just been me when Cash fell off of that church and if it had just been me when pa laid sick with that load of wood fell on him, it would not be happening with every bastard in the county coming in to stare at her because if there is a God what the hell is He for. It would just be me and her on a high hill and me rolling the rocks down the hill faces and teeth and all by God until she was quiet and not that goddamn adze going One lick less. One lick less and we could be quiet.

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

$500k for 100 people?

I'm guessing their food alone would cost more than $500k. We're talking a bunch of athletes who lift weights regularly. They eat more food than the average person, and some of it is and should be very healthy food that can cost more. And they are being told they have to eat at the training table for 3 meals a day. I'm guessing they'll be eating there at least 340 days per year. That's over 1,000 meals. If the meals are $5 each we're already over $500k.

Let's go with your 40 people. I would put the food (not counting preparation) at $5,000/year. That's already half the budget at $240k. 

40 people would also require additions to the dietary staff, kitchen staff, tutoring staff, maybe an extra GA or 2. I think you are really underestimating the cost here. Then you say 20 should be scholarship women. That's putting it quite a bit over $500k.

Edited by Moiraine
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

$500k for 100 people?

I'm guessing their food alone would cost more than $500k. We're talking a bunch of athletes who lift weights regularly. They eat more food than the average person, and some of it is and should be very healthy food that can cost more. And they are being told they have to eat at the training table for 3 meals a day. I'm guessing they'll be eating there at least 340 days per year. That's over 1,000 meals. If the meals are $5 each we're already over $500k.

Let's go with your 40 people. I would put the food (not counting preparation) at $5,000/year. That's already half the budget at $240k. 

40 people would also require additions to the dietary staff, kitchen staff, tutoring staff, maybe an extra GA or 2. I think you are really underestimating the cost here. Then you say 20 should be scholarship women. That's putting it quite a bit over $500k.

Surely they don't feed them 7 meals a week all year round - perhaps 2 per day during the school year.

Tuition books and fees surely not over 12K per year for an undergrad X 20 = $240,000.   40 students X  14 meals X 45 weeks X $5 per meal (cost) = 126000.  Uniforms, supplies, etc surely not over $2000 each (much of this is likely furnished dirt cheap or free by Adidas) = $80000.  A couple grad assistants (they work for almost nothing I believe).  $20,000.  Little or no travel or other expenses as they aren't on trips, except the bowls or playoffs times which are reimbursed by the event I believe.  I'm just guessing on these numbers but they have to be somewhat reasonable.  Still way below my top of the head number.  Even if it is doubled, they still ought to be able to find a million out of a 100 million budget (1%).???

13 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Surely they don't feed them 7 meals a week all year round - perhaps 2 per day during the school year.

Tuition books and fees surely not over 12K per year for an undergrad X 20 = $240,000.   40 students X  14 meals X 45 weeks X $5 per meal (cost) = 126000.  Uniforms, supplies, etc surely not over $2000 each (much of this is likely furnished dirt cheap or free by Adidas) = $80000.  A couple grad assistants (they work for almost nothing I believe).  $20,000.  Little or no travel or other expenses as they aren't on trips, except the bowls or playoffs times which are reimbursed by the event I believe.  I'm just guessing on these numbers but they have to be somewhat reasonable.  Still way below my top of the head number.  Even if it is doubled, they still ought to be able to find a million out of a 100 million budget (1%).???

Your numbers don't have to be somewhat reasonable.

For one thing, I just told you in the very post you're quoting that the football players eat at the training table 3 times per day. This has been reported as a new requirement by Frost. I also used 340 days for my calculation. Not 365. That might be a little high, so call it 330. But I also think $5/meal is a little low for an athlete. I don't know what the coaches require for female athletes, but I doubt they're only eating there once a day. It's food that's already been paid for.

Edited by Moiraine
48 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If we're going to add more kids coming to school for free, I'd prefer to add kids from poor families, first generation college kids, academic stars, disabled kids who gave overcome a lot, etc. rather that someone who's good at an obscure sport no one cares about.

I'm sure a university like unl already does have those kind of scholarships. Are you the booster responsible for paying for all these cost increases? 

32 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I'm sure a university like unl already does have those kind of scholarships. Are you the booster responsible for paying for all these cost increases? 

I’m pretty sure most of the boosters want to see their money going to football and basketball...not women’s bowling or rifle shooting. So if the discussion is now about what the donors want done with their money, that’s fine.

48 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I’m pretty sure most of the boosters want to see their money going to football and basketball...not women’s bowling or rifle shooting. So if the discussion is now about what the donors want done with their money, that’s fine.

Can't you just sell some of your rolex watches or private jets nature boy and raise the money that way

• Plus1 1