Expanding Football Roster Has Title IX, Logistical Issues

Mavric

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

While that's a noble opinion, I just don't think it will happen anytime soon.  With sports, most people want to see the best at each level of sport.  Men are superior athletes (that's not debatable) so if people are watching a sport where they want to see the best play in that sport, it's most likely going to be a men's sport.  Women's tennis and volleyball are the sports that are the closest to being more entertaining with women, compared to men (I would even say that those women's sports can be more entertaining than their men counterparts).

I am not trying to say that those women aren't great athletes in their own right, but they aren't the best.  The US Women's Soccer team is one of the top teams in the world, but it's still a far inferior product to men's soccer.  The U.S. Women's Soccer team will scrimmage against high school boys, as they prepare for their big tournaments, and the high school boys usually beat them.  

Great points. That’s actually true across sports, as a good male college tennis player would destroy Serena Williams, a good men’s high school basketball team (or maybe even junior high team) would destroy a WNBA All-Stat Team, etc. It’s crazy to hear people involved in sports proclaim someone like Serena as the “best tennis player of all time” when there are literally thousands of men who would take her apart. 

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It is debatable. For one thing, it matters how athleticism is defined. I don't think being able to lift a lot of weight means someone is athletic. I think there are very unathletic people who suck at sports other than static weight lifting.

Men are stronger and taller than women. Due to both they are also faster than women and can jump higher and further than women.

But I don't think strength = athleticism. You can be fast and suck at sports other than sprinting. I wonder how those high school boys compare to the women's soccer team when it comes to speed and leg strength.

Now that said, I prefer men's sports because I like to watch the strongest, fastest people on earth do athletic things.

One exception that I can think of which you already mentioned is volleyball. Women's volleyball requires more finesse and athleticism since it's harder to just hit the ball with all your might and score.

Unfortunate that so many men’s volleyball programs were eliminated due to Title IX. But rest assured that a men’s club team could be assembled on UNL’s campus very quickly which would absolutely decimate the women’s national champions.

55 minutes ago, zoogs said:

"Women who are into obscure sports can probably afford to pay their own way through college"

"SO MANY MEN would destroy Serena ha ha Serena"

"women are to blame for men's sports being cut"

lmao, how can you not see this

Each of those statements is absolutely true. Serena has freely acknowledged that any number of male players would completely crush her...as have numerous current and former male and female tennis players. Serena is bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic than any woman on tour...and probably in tennis history. But she would match up poorly with even average male players.

48 minutes ago, runningblind said:

giphy.gif

Give me my pick of intramural men’s volleyball players, basketball players, and football players, a few good volleyball coaches, and a couple of months to train them to play as a team and it would be no contest. There’s a reason college volleyball isn’t coed. It’s because if it was, there would only be a handful of female players who would make any team anywhere. The stars of the women’s game would be lucky to be benchwarmers if men were allowed to play.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Great points. That’s actually true across sports, as a good male college tennis player would destroy Serena Williams, a good men’s high school basketball team (or maybe even junior high team) would destroy a WNBA All-Stat Team, etc. It’s crazy to hear people involved in sports proclaim someone like Serena as the “best tennis player of all time” when there are literally thousands of men who would take her apart. 

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Each of those statements is absolutely true. Serena has freely acknowledged that any number of male players would completely crush her...as have numerous current and former male and female tennis players. Serena is bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic than any woman on tour...and probably in tennis history. But she would match up poorly with even average male players.

Didn't Billy Jean King defeat your argument almost 50 years ago?

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Serena is just being modest.  She'd match up incredibly well with most male tennis players.

And if you seriously think a rag tag group of UNL male students could be pulled together, train in volleyball for a few months and "crush" the womens UNL national champion team--you are even crazier than the Steve Harvey meme suggests.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I think Serena is just being modest.  She'd match up incredibly well with most male tennis players.

And if you seriously think a rag tag group of UNL male students could be pulled together, train in volleyball for a few months and "crush" the womens UNL national champion team--you are even crazier than the Steve Harvey meme suggests.

That's completely incorrect. This PC nonsense has made it tough for some here to see straight. Serena dominates the women's tour because she is bigger, faster, stronger, and more athletic than anyone she plays. That advantage disappears when she plays a male player, even a good high school player. Most tennis analysts think McEnroe would beat her and he's almost 60. Serena has played mediocre men before and been absolutely destroyed. She's even talked about how the men were easily returning what would have been clear winners against any female player.

6 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I'm talking about club volleyball players and athletes. And not only would we not drop a set, no set would even be close.

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm talking about club volleyball players and athletes. And not only would we not drop a set, no set would even be close.

This post must end with "Whoooo" or you're a complete fraud. You're a disgrace to Ric Flair. Delete your account.

• Plus1 2

How competitive would the UCONN women’s team be against high school boys?

http://www.omaha.com/sports/blogs/mad-chatter-could-the-uconn-women-beat-the-best-high/article_ce5675fe-f2d1-11e6-b2f3-f71a45f9030f.html

Quite possibly the worst college men’s team of all time would beat the best women’s team ever more than 71% of the time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/376048-could-the-uconn-women-beat-a-mens-team?share=other