Unpopular Opinion

14 hours ago, NUinID said:

As I said earlier,  music is all about what you like.  I love Rush. They are probably in the top 5 of my favorite bands right now, though that is a fluid thing.  One of my regrets is  that I never saw Rush live and now they will never tour again.  

With that said, Rush for whatever reason is a very polarizing band.  People either love them or hate them.  A lot of it has to do with Geddy Lee's voice, which is understandable, but you can't never say they aren't great musicians.  

So what is some of the music that you do like?  

Count me as mostly indifferent...Coming from a family of drummers I did like following the performances of Neil Peart and I probably do have 4-5 of their albums because Progressive is one of the most fun genres to play along with...But I doubt I'd ever buy more of their stuff...I preferred Yes and Kansas back in the day...and now Tool for my prog fix. 

9 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Count me as mostly indifferent...Coming from a family of drummers I did like following the performances of Neil Peart and I probably do have 4-5 of their albums because Progressive is one of the most fun genres to play along with...But I doubt I'd ever buy more of their stuff...I preferred Yes and Kansas back in the day...and now Tool for my prog fix. 

If you own 4-5 Rush albums that doesn't sound indifferent to me.  Kansas IMO is the only true American Prog Rock  band of the era.  There first Album is great.  Journey from Mariabronn is a song I listen to a lot.  One group that I never got into was The Moody Blues.  Also a big ELP fan. 

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

My tastes vary...Some current bands I like:

Dead Sara--Vocalist Emily Armstrong is what you'd get if Bruce Dickinson and Janis Joplin had a love child.

Avenged Sevenfold--Heavy rock gods

Metallica--Rock legends and icons

Shinedown--So many great songs and their vocalist is an awesome person.

Ice Cube--The Original OG, Triple OG

Sevenfold is interesting, I almost think they are a band that is just in the wrong time period.  If they had be a late 80's early 90's rock band I think they could have been Metallica, Megadeth, AC/DC big...

Ice Cube is a boss!

I love Rush but I could see why people would not like them...now...if they came off as pretentious like Radiohead or Oasis I think even more people would hate them but since they seem like pretty nice, normal dudes with a good sense of humor it probably helps them out a bit.

Side note...

You know that ZZ Top and Jimmy Buffet were told by their parents "Give this up, get a job, cut your hair, come on now...you are never going to make it, I support you but you have to be realistic" yet they have made a bazillion dollars.

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I love Rush but I could see why people would not like them...now...if they came off as pretentious like Radiohead or Oasis I think even more people would hate them but since they seem like pretty nice, normal dudes with a good sense of humor it probably helps them out a bit.

Radiohead is a group that I really don't get the hype for. I agree they take themselves a little too seriously.   The guys in Rush, Geddy, Alex and Neal are very down to earth normal guys.  No rock star stuff in their lives for the most part.  Oasis had some good tunes.  I think the Gallager brothers are hilarious in how they don't get along and play it out in the public.  They have such heavy accents you can't even understand what they are saying.  They are worse than Ozzy.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Radiohead is a group that I really don't get the hype for. I agree they take themselves a little too seriously.   The guys in Rush, Geddy, Alex and Neal are very down to earth normal guys.  No rock star stuff in their lives for the most part.  Oasis had some good tunes.  I think the Gallager brothers are hilarious in how they don't get along and play it out in the public.  They have such heavy accents you can't even understand what they are saying.  They are worse than Ozzy.  

Dude, those guys have the thickest answers!

1 hour ago, NUinID said:

If you own 4-5 Rush albums that doesn't sound indifferent to me.  Kansas IMO is the only true American Prog Rock  band of the era.  There first Album is great.  Journey from Mariabronn is a song I listen to a lot.  One group that I never got into was The Moody Blues.  Also a big ELP fan. 

To be fair, Rush was a Canadian Prog Rock band. 

55 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

To be fair, Rush was a Canadian Prog Rock band. 

I never said they weren't?   

27 minutes ago, NUance said:

For a long time I thought The Cars first two albumsThe Cars and Candy-Owere the best two albums evar.  I don't care for any Cars music after Candy-O.  

This I completely agree with.  

• Plus1 1

I actually liked Avenged Sevenfold's screamo albums.  Which was strange since I typically hated that type of music, back when it was a thing.   Then I heard that Bat Country song.  Nails on a chalkboard to me.  That's when they lost me.  Now they're basically just a Metallica/Iron Maiden parody.

3 hours ago, NUinID said:

I've tried Radiohead countless times and just can't do it. They have some songs I like but, overall, it just doesn't fit my tastes.

That's also how I feel about Rush - talented musicians and some good songs but I just can't listen to them for extended periods of time.

17 hours ago, NUinID said:

It might be closer to 2-3...Some are probably duplicates ($1 cds to get my Son to hear them in my car rather than take the time/effort to clean my old vinyl LP and crank up the Bang & Olufsen) I did watch their interview a month? ago with Dan Rather on AXStv, so I don't hate them...I've just heard so many of their songs that still get overplayed to the point of scanning to the next spot on the dial whenever I hear one of their songs.  My Son gave me a Tool CD I didn't know I didn't already have for my birthday so I've been playing that the last couple of weeks...And Wishing Maynerd would ignore his grapes in Sedona and release the new album..

Side note...I have Willie Dixon's ''I Am The Blues''..First talked into buying it on cassette in 1986? at Pickles in Lincoln by one of the cutest Blondes I'd ever seen while I was talking to Broderick Thomas...I wanted something different but never bought pre-recorded cassettes..She told me the guy was great but that it was only available on cassette...I loved it...Found it on vinyl a year or two later and then being told it probably wouldn't ever make it to CD...Found a master recording on CD a couple of years later and bought another couple of copies of it on CD a few years apart after seeing them in  $5 bins.   Bad enough I have around 400 LPs but I probably have around triple that number of CDs