Unpopular Opinion

I think what pissed me off most about the whole Keller lawsuit is him and the players still didn't get diddly.  You have a massive lawsuit and you still barely got paid.  Hardly even worth it IMO and you ruined a good thing for a lot of people.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sn-ncaa-lawsuit-videogames-settlement-20140601-story.html

According to the filing, a pool of money will be available to players after attorneys take 33% of the proposed settlement and up to $2.5 million in expenses. Named plaintiffs like O'Bannon and Keller will receive $15,000, while others who joined the suit later would get $2,500 or $5,000.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I think what pissed me off most about the whole Keller lawsuit is him and the players still didn't get diddly.  You have a massive lawsuit and you still barely got paid.  Hardly even worth it IMO and you ruined a good thing for a lot of people.

If by the bold you mean the gamers ruined things for amateur college players, I agree.

If you're saying the gamers, who used something that didn't belong to them and didn't pay the people for that use, then 100% disagree.

Again, there's no scenario here where the players are at fault.  Being mad that you can't play a game isn't the players' fault, it's the game manufacturers' fault.  Stop blaming the players for doing the right thing.

• Plus1 3
50 minutes ago, sho said:

Rolling Stones are WAY over rated.

The World Cup is the greatest sporting event, better than March Madness and the Superbowl.

I wouldn't say that they are way overrated, I do like quite a few of their songs, but they haven't put out anything really good since Exile on Main St and that was in 1972.  Which is what, 46 years ago?  Even saying that I like 10 or so of their songs I still have never had a desire to see them in concert.  Oh and Satisfaction which Rolling Stone Magazine considers the quintessential rock song is way down on my list of good Rolling Stone songs.   

I agree that the World Cup is one of the greatest sporting events, it is just that most Americans think Fute Ball is stupid and boring to watch.  

Edited by NUinID

Unpopular opinion?   I'm hardly ever in favor of firing a coach.  IMHO, The cost of firing a coach is huge compared to the odds of them turning the corner given another year.  That is, the buyout cost, the cost of losing a year's recruiting class and the time it takes to implement a whole new scheme.  At the time I was against both Callahan and Pelini getting fired.  (Even though I didn't particularly care for Pelini's antics.  lol)  I thought they should be given another year or so.  With Riley though, I think we made a good decision to fire him.  Riley had already lost the 2018 recruiting class and an opportunity to grab a hot young coach like Frost doesn't come around too often.   That, and Riley's salary wasn't terribly high so the buyout costs are not going to be outrageous.  Also, all the talk of firing Miles earlier this year was just plain silly.  Even now, after a pretty damned amazing win streak this past month, there are still people who want to see him fired.  I find this incomprehensible.  /shakes head 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If by the bold you mean the gamers ruined things for amateur college players, I agree.

If you're saying the gamers, who used something that didn't belong to them and didn't pay the people for that use, then 100% disagree.

Again, there's no scenario here where the players are at fault.  Being mad that you can't play a game isn't the players' fault, it's the game manufacturers' fault.  Stop blaming the players for doing the right thing.

I guess I’m missing the part where gamers ruined anything for college players.  

All i I know is, if all I get out of a $40 million lawsuit is $15k (and it was the largest payout), I’m still pissed, I’ve been drug through the mud in a lawsuit and nothing has changed, other than I’m 15k richer and there’s a whole lot of pissed off people bc of it.  Not sure that’d be worth it IMO. 

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If by gamers you mean game designers.  Gamers usually means people who play games, and people who play games can't be at fault here.  And game designers didn't pay college athletes, because that isn't allowed.  So it's the NCAA's fault really.

That said, I dislike Sam Kellers involvement in it because he came across rather douchey....in my unpopular opinion.

Edited by Redux
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Exploiting their likeness for your entertainment without recompensing them is the whole point of that lawsuit. 

How is that the consumers fault?  You say that like they have any control over that.  

The whole lawsuit was about the “get me paid” attitude and IMO, for what they got, they still didn’t get paid.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Redux said:

If by gamers you mean game designers.  Gamers usually means people who play gsmes, and people who play games can't be at fault here.  And game designers didn't pay college athletes, because that isn't allowed.  So it's the NCAA's fault really.

The gamers purchased the games, and thus have culpability.  Of course I agree that the primary responsibility lies with the gaming industry, but then the gaming industry aren't the ones dragging Keller through the mud years later, that's the gamers.

That said, I dislike Sam Kellers involvement in it because he came across rather douchey....in my unpopular opinion.

This is a perception born largely out of the fact that you're mad at Keller (and not, apparently, the gaming industry) for the fact that you can't play a game.  That's a misplaced anger, and the ongoing flak given to Keller by gamers lends credence to the statement, "...gamers ruined things for amateur college players..."

• Plus1 1
Just now, RedSavage said:

How is that the consumers fault?  You say that like they have any control over that.  

The whole lawsuit was about the “get me paid” attitude and IMO, for what they got, they still didn’t get paid.  

The lawsuit was about not allowing someone else to profit from your work and likeness. There are thousands of such lawsuits every year.

It is -partly- the consumer's fault because they purchased the games.  It is not wholly their fault, but it is wholly not the fault of the players that the gamers continue to drag through the mud.

Just now, knapplc said:

The gamers purchased the games, and thus have culpability.  Of course I agree that the primary responsibility lies with the gaming industry, but then the gaming industry aren't the ones dragging Keller through the mud years later, that's the gamers.

This is a perception born largely out of the fact that you're mad at Keller (and not, apparently, the gaming industry) for the fact that you can't play a game.  That's a misplaced anger, and the ongoing flak given to Keller by gamers lends credence to the statement, "...gamers ruined things for amateur college players..."

That's a pretty thin argumentative point.  Keller knew what he was getting himself into, he got paid.  People griping is a pretty unimportant side effect for getting paid.

And no, my perception of Keller is largely from a video I watched of him during the case.  He came across as douchey.  Gamers are not the ones to blame.