Unpopular Opinion

On 3/8/2018 at 7:30 AM, Comfortably Numb said:

Well to be fair, it probably is a fairly popular opinion. But I knew it would be unpopular with a small handful here on HB. Worst sport ever is a reach but there really is nothing I like about it. Way too much running around with no action. When little kids play it it's just magnet ball and then one kid gets it and will dominate. It's like hockey except all the good stuff has been removed. It's never intrigued me at all except wondering how the crowds can get so large and violent. The best part about soccer is the vuvuzela.

You are just like countless other Americans who only see the lack of scoring and say it is boring.  We didn't grow up watching it so we don't understand the game.  It is the most popular sport in the world though.  It really is a game, at the premier level, that is played by very highly skilled athletes. 

I don't watch fute ball all that often,  but I do watch the World Cup with a passing interest.  With the US not making the finals this year I probably will not be as interested.  

There are other sports that are very popular around the world that don't make a dent in the USA.  F-1 racing is probably only 2nd to soccer in popularity around the world.  Track and Field is actually a spectator sport in most of Europe.  Cricket is a huge sport in about 30% of the world population.   

Just like we don't get the draw of soccer most non Americans don't get the draw of American Football.  

31 minutes ago, NUinID said:

You are just like countless other Americans who only see the lack of scoring and say it is boring.  We didn't grow up watching it so we don't understand the game.  It is the most popular sport in the world though.  It really is a game, at the premier level, that is played by very highly skilled athletes. 

I don't watch fute ball all that often,  but I do watch the World Cup with a passing interest.  With the US not making the finals this year I probably will not be as interested.  

There are other sports that are very popular around the world that don't make a dent in the USA.  F-1 racing is probably only 2nd to soccer in popularity around the world.  Track and Field is actually a spectator sport in most of Europe.  Cricket is a huge sport in about 30% of the world population.   

Just like we don't get the draw of soccer most non Americans don't get the draw of American Football.  

Yeah...I get that it is the most popular sport in the world but more of that has to do with the ease and cost.  You literally just need a ball, that is it.

Baseball is expensive and you need a decent amount of people to play, you need gloves (or makeshift gloves) and a bat (or makeshift bat).

Football you can get away with just having a ball but playing tackle football is not something most people do after the age of like 18.  

Basketball you can just have the ball but you still need hoops and basketball, if you have a 10 foot hoop, is not as kid friendly.  Much easier to kick a ball into a garage for a kid than it is to make jumpers.

Lets face it...if race cars were accessible to everyone in the world...it would be the most popular sport. 

• Plus1 4
On 3/8/2018 at 8:30 AM, Comfortably Numb said:

Well to be fair, it probably is a fairly popular opinion. But I knew it would be unpopular with a small handful here on HB. Worst sport ever is a reach but there really is nothing I like about it. Way too much running around with no action. When little kids play it it's just magnet ball and then one kid gets it and will dominate. It's like hockey except all the good stuff has been removed. It's never intrigued me at all except wondering how the crowds can get so large and violent. The best part about soccer is the vuvuzela.

Vuvuzela is like this to me ...

:blink:

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah...I get that it is the most popular sport in the world but more of that has to do with the ease and cost.  You literally just need a ball, that is it.

Baseball is expensive and you need a decent amount of people to play, you need gloves (or makeshift gloves) and a bat (or makeshift bat).

Football you can get away with just having a ball but playing tackle football is not something most people do after the age of like 18.  

Basketball you can just have the ball but you still need hoops and basketball, if you have a 10 foot hoop, is not as kid friendly.  Much easier to kick a ball into a garage for a kid than it is to make jumpers.

Lets face it...if race cars were accessible to everyone in the world...it would be the most popular sport. 

All of what you say is  true, Soccer is a very simple game at its heart and only requires a ball which allows very poor people to play.   That doesn't explain why it never took hold in the US like it did around the world in the early 20th century.   I think that has more to do with America being more of an isolationist country at the time and the idea that we want to play our own games.  Football, Baseball and Basketball are completely American games that really don't hold any allegiance to other sports around the world.   

15 minutes ago, NUinID said:

All of what you say is  true, Soccer is a very simple game at its heart and only requires a ball which allows very poor people to play.   That doesn't explain why it never took hold in the US like it did around the world in the early 20th century.   I think that has more to do with America being more of an isolationist country at the time and the idea that we want to play our own games.  Football, Baseball and Basketball are completely American games that really don't hold any allegiance to other sports around the world.   

I think there is a lot of truth to the US being isolationist.  Plus...by the time we sort of really got "our feet under us" baseball had started.

Soccer has done an amazing job at two things...

1.  They have decided to totally alienate themselves from other sports and built their own community of "with us" or "against us" people.  That was a smart move and it needed to be done.

2.  They realized they didn't need "adults" but they needed kids.  Micro-midget-mini soccer is their gold mine.  Soccer is great for young kids (I personally think they need to use more of a beach ball type ball for the real little kids but that is not the point) and it is great for parents because most parents don't know the game and don't give a crap about the game...so they can go, watch, have their coffee at 8am when the game is going on and hang out.  They don't have to worry about being roped in to coach and all that crap.

2b.  Camps/select...Soccer has done an AMAZING job at getting into parents wallets and as someone that has run many many many different football camps and a 3 on 3 tourney that used to bring in major cash for little work (just for me!) that is a skill.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think there is a lot of truth to the US being isolationist.  Plus...by the time we sort of really got "our feet under us" baseball had started.

Soccer has done an amazing job at two things...

1.  They have decided to totally alienate themselves from other sports and built their own community of "with us" or "against us" people.  That was a smart move and it needed to be done.

2.  They realized they didn't need "adults" but they needed kids.  Micro-midget-mini soccer is their gold mine.  Soccer is great for young kids (I personally think they need to use more of a beach ball type ball for the real little kids but that is not the point) and it is great for parents because most parents don't know the game and don't give a crap about the game...so they can go, watch, have their coffee at 8am when the game is going on and hang out.  They don't have to worry about being roped in to coach and all that crap.

2b.  Camps/select...Soccer has done an AMAZING job at getting into parents wallets and as someone that has run many many many different football camps and a 3 on 3 tourney that used to bring in major cash for little work (just for me!) that is a skill.

Again, all of what you say is true, but I am not sure what it has to do with the popularity of soccer in America as a spectator sport.   Soccer isn't the only sport that does these things. Baseball/softball all have the select teams.  Softball is a serious sport for girls in this country.  BBall has the AAU thing as well as select type teams.  

Soccer is way more popular in the US than it ever has been.  It has really taken hold over the last 25 years or so.  It will still never be as popular of a spectator sport as the big 3 in the US.  The other 3 sports have at least a 100 year head start on it.  

4 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Again, all of what you say is true, but I am not sure what it has to do with the popularity of soccer in America as a spectator sport.   Soccer isn't the only sport that does these things. Baseball/softball all have the select teams.  Softball is a serious sport for girls in this country.  BBall has the AAU thing as well as select type teams.  

Soccer is way more popular in the US than it ever has been.  It has really taken hold over the last 25 years or so.  It will still never be as popular of a spectator sport as the big 3 in the US.  The other 3 sports have at least a 100 year head start on it.  

Simple...it is more popular because it is an excuse to drink, party and gamble.  Last WC (I can't stand soccer) me and some friends ended up at an Irish bar here in Omaha...It was so packed with fake fans of soccer that were all cheering on the US vs Germany...it was a blast, loved it, had a great time.  I drank a ton and I bet on the "match"

Those kids that were playing it 20 years ago have kids of their own that are playing...so now there is an excuse to get some wings and beers and watch.

That is just my guess, but I think it is a solid one.

Edited by teachercd

I THINK THE PROBLEM WITH SOCCER FOR THE AVERAGE AMERICAN IS THAT IT DOESN'T SEEM LIKE THE TEAMS ARE TRYING TO SCORE. SO MUCH OF IT IS SETUP AND MOST PEOPLE WANT TO SEE ATTACKING OFFENSE.

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO CONVINCE MY GF TO MAKE A YEARLY TRIP TO VEGAS TO WATCH THE RUGBY SEVENS. I'M HOPING IT BECOMES MORE POPULAR BECAUSE IT'S FUN TO WATCH AND THE GAMES ARE PRETTY SHORT.

SOME HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE VEGAS SERIES (WHICH THE US FINALLY WON!):

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Simple...it is more popular because it is an excuse to drink, party and gamble.  Last WC (I can't stand soccer) me and some friends ended up at an Irish bar here in Omaha...It was so packed with fake fans of soccer that were all cheering on the US vs Germany...it was a blast, loved it, had a great time.  I drank a ton and I bet on the "match"

Those kids that were playing it 20 years ago have kids of their own that are playing...so now there is an excuse to get some wings and beers and watch.

That is just my guess, but I think it is a solid one.

No actually if I have read enough of your post over the last couple of years it is an excuse for you to drink, party and gamble. :D  Americans are complete amateurs when it comes to drinking and gambling.   People in the UK and in most of Asia will bet on anything and they will drink us all under the table. 

Edited by NUinID
  • Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, GSG said:

I THINK THE PROBLEM WITH SOCCER FOR THE AVERAGE AMERICAN IS THAT IT DOESN'T SEEM LIKE THE TEAMS ARE TRYING TO SCORE. SO MUCH OF IT IS SETUP AND MOST PEOPLE WANT TO SEE ATTACKING OFFENSE.

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO CONVINCE MY GF TO MAKE A YEARLY TRIP TO VEGAS TO WATCH THE RUGBY SEVENS. I'M HOPING IT BECOMES MORE POPULAR BECAUSE IT'S FUN TO WATCH AND THE GAMES ARE PRETTY SHORT.

SOME HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE VEGAS SERIES (WHICH THE US FINALLY WON!):

Rugby is fun to watch and Rugby Sevens is like a gateway drug to the sport.  

1 hour ago, NUinID said:

No actually if I have read enough of your post over the last couple of years it is an excuse for you to drink, party and gamble. :D  Americans are complete amateurs when it comes to drinking and gambling.   People in the UK and in most of Asia will bet on anything and they will drink us all under the table. 

Ha!

Those dudes LOVE betting!