Abortion & Capital Punishment  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think abortion legal within limitations 

Capital punishment used as the ultimate punishment for especially heinous crimes . I think the  appeals process needs to be streamlined too so the punishment is carried out in a timely manner . No more death row for 30 years of seemingly endless appeals . 

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 1

These are not that related and I think you'll find the polling to reflect that. I can see why people's views on this can be decoupled. Maybe there's something else you can add here: war. I suspect a lot of people who feel that the state shouldn't carry out executions of its citizens are pretty OK with its military carrying out the bombing of another nation's people.

I think abortion should be legal until a point of viability outside of the womb (and in exceptions of life-threatening health risks afterwards), and I don't think capital punishment should be legal in any circumstance. I'm also anti-war, and even more anti any single civilian death at the hands of our military. 

• Plus1 2
22 hours ago, zoogs said:

These are not that related and I think you'll find the polling to reflect that. I can see why people's views on this can be decoupled. Maybe there's something else you can add here: war. I suspect a lot of people who feel that the state shouldn't carry out executions of its citizens are pretty OK with its military carrying out the bombing of another nation's people.

Yeah, I agree.  A more interesting thing to compare might be abortion legality vs. the funding of Planned Parenthood, which provides so many vital services to women and families with regard to PREVENTING unwanted pregnancies in the first place.

• Plus1 1

22 hours ago, zoogs said:

Even though I am way more anti capital punishment now than I used to be, I am perfectly fine with decoupling the two issues.

a)  A baby has no choice to be conceived.  

b)  Someone who murders multiple people had a choice to do so.

That said, I'm fairly anti capital punishment for various reasons.

42 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Yeah, I agree.  A more interesting thing to compare might be abortion legality vs. the funding of Planned Parenthood, which provides so many vital services to women and families with regard to PREVENTING unwanted pregnancies in the first place.

I should leave the polls to you Kiyoat!

Admittedly this was driven by some recent experiences i've had with folks being very anti abortion and very pro capital punishment.  

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Admittedly this was driven by some recent experiences i've had with folks being very anti abortion and very pro capital punishment.  

I'm against both, but the comparison doesn't really make sense to me.

One of them is being against the murder of babies (in their eyes)
The other is being for the murder of murderers.

Babies vs. Murderous adults. Maybe one's worth saving and the other is worth killing. Not a big stretch.

The reason I'm against capital punishment (but not strongly so), is I wouldn't be willing to kill those people, so I shouldn't ask someone else to do it. On the other hand, if someone purposely hurt one of my cats I would be capable of killing them, so maybe I should be for capital punishment. *shrug*

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2
4 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Ha!  Poll away, dear.  I like any and all opinion polls because they involve not just those that post frequently, but many that mostly just read, or post less.  I think it gives a good snapshot of the board community, even if we are a small subset of Husker Nation.  I am often surprised at the outcome of polls.  I go in expecting one thing, and BOOM!  ... something else.

Pretty dark topic, though.  I guess it's a breather from gun violence.

;)

Edited by Kiyoat Husker
  • Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'm against both, but the comparison doesn't really make sense to me.

One of them is being against the murder of babies (in their eyes)
The other is being for the murder of murderers.

Babies vs. Murderous adults. Maybe one's worth saving and the other is worth killing. Not a big stretch.

The reason I'm against capital punishment (but not strongly so), is I wouldn't be willing to kill those people, so I shouldn't ask someone else to do it. On the other hand, if someone purposely hurt one of my cats I would be capable of killing them, so maybe I should be for capital punishment. *shrug*

Not making any comparisons - just curious on peoples thoughts.