Driving for 6: Frost's fight against mediocrity; former Vols aide comes aboard; and 'be the corn'

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/driving-for-frost-s-fight-against-mediocrity-former-vols-aide/article_522d3fce-1b31-11e8-bbdf-43db1a6d9b09.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Frost said he’s a firm believer in morning practices, saying players will sleep in and miss class but won’t sleep in and miss practice. What’s more, he says, morning practices kick in everyone’s metabolism, meaning folks will stay more alert throughout the day.

This might not make a big impact, but one great thing I see about the morning practices is the early Saturday games. It seems like for as long as I can remember (mid 2000s, i'm only 25) the Huskers have started slow and been lethargic in the Saturday morning game slot. Maybe morning practices having kids used to being awake and moving will help knock off some of that!

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If Scott Frost is able to make the Athletic Department use the term Cornhuskers more than Huskers, I would be all for that!!!  I hate it when NU gets called the Nebraska Huskers.  It's the Nebraska CORN-huskers.

I agree.

Huskers is okay on it's own as a shortened version of Cornhuskers but if it's preceded by Nebraska then it needs to be Nebraska Cornhuskers every time. There's just something wrong with Nebraska Huskers.

• Plus1 4
12 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I agree.

Huskers is okay on it's own as a shortened version of Cornhuskers but if it's preceded by Nebraska then it needs to be Nebraska Cornhuskers every time. There's just something wrong with Nebraska Huskers.

It's like saying Tampa Bay Rays

31 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Bad example, because it is actually the Tampa Bay Rays now.  They dropped the Devil and the manta Ray a few years ago.

I would use the example of using Maryland Terps or North Carolina Heels. 

Yep. A big one down here is that the FSU fanbase has been using 'Noles as a shorthand for the Seminoles. It's either just "Noles" or "The Florida State Seminoles"

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, Treand3 said:

There's more benefit to morning practices than not. Frost is right, players are far less likely to sleep in and miss practice than class. A little accountability tactic.

John Chaney, when he was coaching at Temple, used to do 6am practices, maybe even 5am...he said those early practices made sure his players were in bed and not out getting in trouble.  

• Plus1 1

After getting into the routine of it I would bet even the players will like the AM practices. Getting going first thing in the morning really feels great and not only does it give the players more time in the afternoon, but they are going to be more energized and productive with their day as a whole. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

After getting into the routine of it I would bet even the players will like the AM practices. Getting going first thing in the morning really feels great and not only does it give the players more time in the afternoon, but they are going to be more energized and productive with their day as a whole. 

Plus, they can hit happy hour since they won't be at practice!

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If Scott Frost is able to make the Athletic Department use the term Cornhuskers more than Huskers, I would be all for that!!!  I hate it when NU gets called the Nebraska Huskers.  It's the Nebraska CORN-huskers.

Is the bolded correct?  If memory serves me correctly, $ Byrne changed the name from Cornhuskers to Huskers my senior year of college which was 1996.  He thought the name Cornhuskers was "tarnishing" the image of the University.  I remember it being kind of a big deal at the time, but I don't know for sure whether he actually officially got the name changed. 

7 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Is the bolded correct?  If memory serves me correctly, $ Byrne changed the name from Cornhuskers to Huskers my senior year of college which was 1996.  He thought the name Cornhuskers was "tarnishing" the image of the University.  I remember it being kind of a big deal at the time, but I don't know for sure whether he actually officially got the name changed. 

Here's a link to the style and brand guide for University of Nebraska Athletics.  It does show Cornhuskers in the style guide.

https://licensing.unl.edu/downloads/201709-unl-athletics-brand-guide.pdf

Here's another link to the specific licensing agreements.  It lists Cornhuskers and Huskers as school nicknames.

https://licensing.unl.edu/unl-branding

Here is also a link to the Origin of the Cornhuskers nickname from Huskers.com.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=2802

While Byrne was the first to try and phase out the use of the Cornhuskers moniker, I don't think he officially changed the nickname.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 1