Nebrasketball Game #32- Big Ten Tournament Quarterfinals- Michigan (Friday, March 2- 1:30 BTN)

What will the game result be?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska win by single digits
    • Nebraska win by double digits
    • Michigan win by single digits
    • Michigan win by double digits

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/02/2018 at 07:45 PM

On the plus side we have some extra games to prep up for next year and most of the team possibly returns. If we lay a 2015 egg next year, it would be just flat out obvious we'd need to make some coaching changes. Miles seems to have at least grown this year and hopefully will find ways to be more creative and consistent on offense in the offseason. Here's to hoping for a successful NIT run at least.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Not arguing the fact Miles deserves his blame. I have been fairly tough on Miles and agree with most of what you said.

That being said, are you suggesting we fire Miles and get a new coach? Might be a hard thing to sell after winning 22 games.

While maybe his success this year was strictly because of an easy schedule he still broke the record for most conference wins in a season(I know i know we had more conference games then previous years).

This year was a good year. Not great but we won games we should have which with past Miles teams didnt happen.

Of course I would have liked to win a lot more games but honestly this team was way better than last year and if we keep the core hopefully we can be way better next year.

I know I sound like a Miles homer, not the point I just think blame can be shared across multiple facets.

No, I don't think we can fire Miles now.  He's "earned" another year.  Or we're stuck with him another year.  However you want to frame it.  :)  We should have gotten rid of him last year when we had the chance.

Miles two "good" years were very similar - get hot behind a great slashing scorer and a stretch 4 who is shooting well, take advantage of a weak conference schedule.  Big difference is the other good team had a couple really nice wins and this year we avoided a really bad loss.  I would think if we end up in the NIT we can at least get a post-season win this year.

If those two were his good years and the other four years were closer to .500 seasons with a couple NIT wins in the mix, I don't think that would be as bad.  But the fact that he's been historically bad in four years and still can't have us run any semblance of an offense in year six doesn't make me hopeful.

I didn't want to say anything lest I be accused of just looking for any reason to be negative.  But this year has the same feeling for me as 2016 under Riley.  The results SEEMED to be better to some people but we got a break with a soft schedule and played just well enough to win a decent amount of games.  But when you look closer you can still see the same problems lurking right under the surface.  And when you have a chance to look back on it may be more obvious that the "progress" made was only slight at best and when we revert to how things usually are we won't like it much.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

No, I don't think we can fire Miles now.  He's "earned" another year.  Or we're stuck with him another year.  However you want to frame it.  :)  We should have gotten rid of him last year when we had the chance.

Miles two "good" years were very similar - get hot behind a great slashing scorer and a stretch 4 who is shooting well, take advantage of a weak conference schedule.  Big difference is the other good team had a couple really nice wins and this year we avoided a really bad loss.  I would think if we end up in the NIT we can at least get a post-season win this year.

If those two were his good years and the other four years were closer to .500 seasons with a couple NIT wins in the mix, I don't think that would be as bad.  But the fact that he's been historically bad in four years and still can't have us run any semblance of an offense in year six doesn't make me hopeful.

I didn't want to say anything lest I be accused of just looking for any reason to be negative.  But this year has the same feeling for me as 2016 under Riley.  The results SEEMED to be better to some people but we got a break with a soft schedule and played just well enough to win a decent amount of games.  But when you look closer you can still see the same problems lurking right under the surface.  And when you have a chance to look back on it may be more obvious that the "progress" made was only slight at best and when we revert to how things usually are we won't like it much.

Cant disagree there.

The other issues is he has only been able to win with transfer guys. After next year the cupboard is pretty damn bare.

3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

The other issues is he has only been able to win with transfer guys. After next year the cupboard is pretty damn bare.

Yeah, this is the other thing that makes the success hard to sustain.  Instead of having to rebuild every 3-4 years, he's having to rebuild every 1-2 years.  And we haven't been THAT successful with transfers.  We've hit the jackpot a couple times with Petteway and Palmer and Copeland isn't that far behind.  Pitchford was decent as well plus White.  But only Petteway has been really good for more than one year. Gill and Taylor have been serviceable but not game-changers.  And we've struck out with several others (Abraham, Laws, Okeke).  And he's really been unable to get high school guys to work their way through.

We lose two of our main rotation guys (Yahlor and Gill) and it Palmer would leave as well we might be in trouble next year.

• Plus1 1

57 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Cant disagree there.

Yeah, I see the point of bringing in transfers the first few years when coaching a new team. This can give an immediate spark to jumpstart the program and to potentially get better recruits from the success. Then a slow transition away from that and onto more high school recruits. But yeah, to still be relying on transfers now seems a bit concerning. Seems the program has been mostly just pulsating and not really turning over.

Like I said at the start of the year (you can go back and check but I wouldn't because that is super dorky) NU got a GREAT conference schedule this year in terms of easy games.  

Illini:  Historically bad (and still should have beat NU twice)

Indiana:  Sooooo down right now

OSU:  Missed this one big time

NW:  Everyone knew they were done

NU did everything right...it just happens that it wasn't enough.  It was sort of good luck but bad luck.

2 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

One of the biggest things Nebraska had going for them was the eye test.  They hadn't been blown out in a game since Michigan State in December.  Even against good teams they were in it.  They could at least make the case that they had improved and could play with anybody...

Now... if everything falls perfectly for Nebraska, maybe they end up as the last team in the tournament, but extremely unlikely

The eye test today said this is not a tournament team and our eyes don’t have any idea what the strategy was.

Well, while y'all are bickering and sitting on your asses I've come up with a plan.

I'm gonna go cast the Imperius Curse on all of the committee members (as soon as I figure out their names and where they live) and I will MAKE them include Nebraska in the bracket.

Either that or I'll use Compulsion.

Depends on whether I'm in a Harry Potter or Wheel of Time mood.

You're welcome.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3

4 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Random question...

Does anyone know if the basketball team always practices on the same court?

It seems like switching venues really makes our offense suffer.  Now I understand most road games are tougher than normal, but it just seems to hurt us more than most teams.  I feel like if they switched up the practice facilities every once in a while they might be more used to a different setting.  I wouldn't want the team to suffer at home, but I'm just curious.

Spoiler

• Plus1 1