The Murphinator

DE Ethan Piper [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

To Which School Will Piper Commit?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Player: Ethan Piper

Hometown: Norfolk, Nebraska

School: Norfolk Catholic

Position: Defensive End

Height: 6-4

Weight: 280

40 Time

Offers: Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio, South Dakota State

Visits: 6/22/18 - Friday Night Lights; 9/15/18 vs. Troy; 9/29/18 vs. Purdue; 12/1/18

O8n7o.png

Twitter

247 Composite: #1224 Overall; #76 DT; .8410; :star:star:star 

Rivals:star:star:star
247: #74 DT; :star:star:star 
ESPN: #73 DT; :star:star:star 

Hudl

• Plus1 2

He has an Iowa offer and was visiting there soon, sounds like we're trying to head them off. Apparently we're looking at him for defense but I think he'd be a hell of a pulling guard.

He’s visiting Iowa this weekend.  He wants to keep his word and go, but he’ll be N by next week imo

• Plus1 2

Sign this kid up.  Love this kids motor.  Not often you find a DT/OG prospect that runs down a guy 60 yards downfield from the backside and covers kicks.  Get him on campus and find a spot for this kid to go to work. 

• Plus1 2

46 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I love the work on the profiles but can you hook a brother up with the links for 247 and Rivals? 

Hell I'll settle for a link to ESPN at this point. 

Edited by jassman24
  • Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Sign this kid up.  Love this kids motor.  Not often you find a DT/OG prospect that runs down a guy 60 yards downfield from the backside and covers kicks.  Get him on campus and find a spot for this kid to go to work. 

This! Watched him run down Aquinas backs time after time last year. Kid hustles and he ain’t slow 

• Plus1 1

Sam is right: this is probably the best overall class in Nebraska in years. Gotta close on Henrich and Hickman now. 

• Plus1 3

Glad this staff understands that these are the type of kids we cannot let go to Iowa.  Very nice get!

• Plus1 1

Nebraska

The Murphinator,swmohusker,NUance,HuskerzFanatik,Young Grand Island Husker,Husker_luver,ADS,KazLongDrives300,CMT1525,Touchdown Tommie,Warrior10,HS_Coach_C,Husker from Kansas,Treand3,HuskerNBigD,Minnesota_husker,Throw Dem Bones,LumberJackSker,yort2000,3-N-OUT,TheGainfulHusker,Xmas32,SkerLover95,sho,seaofred92,Scott Tenorman,Judoka,husker_fan_from_sweden,Snowbird,DirtySanchezButtFumbler,Wunderkind,Mavric,bugeater17,gorp512,Roger Dorn,jsneb83,obert1,Hedley Lamarr,huskersrule95,Redux

CRIMSON! CRIMSON! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! WE SHOULD REVOKE HIS SCHOLARSHIP OFFER! OMG!

In all seriousness, some people on twitter need to quit chirping to a kid that just committed. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, HuskerNBigD said:

CRIMSON! CRIMSON! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! WE SHOULD REVOKE HIS SCHOLARSHIP OFFER! OMG!

In all seriousness, some people on twitter need to quit chirping to a kid that just committed. 

Are people really making a fuss? I made a TiC comment, but this is on the low end of the scale of Things to be Concerned About

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Are people really making a fuss? I made a TiC comment, but this is on the low end of the scale of Things to be Concerned About

Ed Ventura, the first response on his twitter post, seemed to take it quite personal. There were a couple more that I scrolled through and saw, but looks like some might have been deleted. Then there are other that seem to just be poking a bit of fun, which isn't a huge deal. I just can't stand when I see people like Ed rip on an 18 year old. Let the kid be, haha.

Edit: I wasn't referencing or negatively speaking about your status update! I took that as a joke.

Edited by HuskerNBigD

Piper is super athletic for his size. He runs about as well as any 280-pound player you'll see. He's also very explosive. He gets off the ball very well and has even been able to dunk a basketball since his eighth-grade year. It's not often you see a 280-pound kid with a 31-inch vertical jump.

He carries a 3.96 GPA in the classroom and was recently seeing interest from schools such as Stanford and Princeton.

Shouldn't be an academic risk :D

• Plus1 6

11 hours ago, ADS said:

Glad this staff understands that these are the type of kids we cannot let go to Iowa.  Very nice get!

Seems like each guy they get out of Nebraska is at least a decent starter,  Fant and Ott turned out to be pretty damn good. Piper seems like a solid get. Definitely athletic for his size, with a good motor and brains. Also like that he could play on either side of the ball. 

Ethan strikes me as someone who will have a similar start like Ben Stille. A full year of muscle development and conditioning, and he will push to play. He literally has everything you want out of a 3-4 DE. 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

If that 31 inch vertical is legit...at 280 pounds...this kid is going to be a superstar.

At FNL he had showed the 31-inch vertical and 4.8 40yd were legit. I'd imagine he squats even more than 550 now.  Kid is an athlete, think if he was on the recruiting camp circuit rather than having shut it down early he'd be rated higher. 

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Chadhusker said:

Why does some services have him rated at defensive tackle ? Is that what he plays at high school ? 

He would likely project to a DT in a 4-3 but a DE in a 3-4.

• Plus1 3

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

He would likely project to a DT in a 4-3 but a DE in a 3-4.

Yes,  in this scheme he fits the mold of a DE. Personally, I think he'd be a nasty pulling-guard. 

• Plus1 1

I’m as excited about this kid as Nick Henrich. We have found a diamond in the rough here. I love that Frost recognizes talent. You wonder if Riley would had ignored him, and he went to Iowa. I suspect Noah Fant would had been N with Frost and staff. That was a big miss. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

His 247 composite is up to .8410 from .8333

It wouldn’t surprise me if all these commitments stick, there will be some threes changing to fours, meaning a higher ranking. By the way, Smothers committed.