** 2018 Opponent Previews: Akron (Game 1) **

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There hasn’t been much talk about our upcoming opponent.

I’ve always liked Coach Terry Bowden, has some early success at Auburn, enjoyed his commentary on ABC, and interesting how he landed at North Alabama and now Akron. 

Not sure what their style of football is and they seem to be a mid level  MAC team who will probably struggle at Nebraska.  

So there’s my contribution to the conversation ..  

• Plus1 1

Akron was terrible last year. 7-7 but -1.1 ypp and a pythagorean win expectation of 5-9. 3 of 7 wins were by a FG or less.

That's a lot of red flags. They liked to run a bit more than pass, except they were terrible at that, too. 3.2 ypc but only 3 games above 4 ypc and 7 games below 3 ypc.

It is one of those games where if our defense doesn't look good it's cause for concern but if our defense does look good it may mean nothing. Akron is just that bad on offense. Instead of production, focus on the things Chinander preaches. If there's a lot of energy and gang tackling, it's a good sign.

Offensively, I expect big things. We have a massive talent advantage. Akron surrendered 6 ypc or more 6 times and allowed 64% passing or more 7 times. It should be nothing short of a coming out party for Martinez. Who emerges out of the running backs should be interesting as everyone should be popping big runs.

Akron lost a lot on offense and is, in general, expected to be even worse this year. Ideal starting opponent of a new era.

• Plus1 1