New Omaha World-Herald Subscription Plus

FYI to the Board:

The World-Herald has recently changed their subscription setup.  Previously, they allowed a user to read a certain number of articles over a period of time without needed a subscription.  Now some of their articles require a subscription to read any part of a given article.  Since they are not allowing any part of that article to be viewed without a subscription, we are not allowing any part of that article to be directly quoted on HuskerBoard.  

You may give a link to the article and give a quick, general summary of what it talked about but we cannot quote directly from the article.  We can continue with our own discussion but specific quotes will not be allowed.

Thanks for your cooperation.

• Plus1 2

It sounds like the OWH is seeking to prohibit use of their copyrighted comment beyond what U.S. copyright laws allow.  Copyright law allows a person to post enough of the material for comment (or parody) without permission from the owner.  LINK   

Whenever I start a thread based on an on-line article I post the title, author, source and a link, along with three or four sentences of the article.  I generally post just enough to give the gist of the article.  Since I include a link HB users can navigate to the site to read the full article if they want.  This style of posting material from an article conforms to copyright laws.  But it sounds like the OWH wants to prohibit such lawful use even further.  This leads me to conclude that the OWH is run by jackasses.    /jmho 

• Plus1 3

As far as I know, we've never allowed people to directly post what would be considered 'Premium' info. This is basically all the OWH is doing.

IMO, media outlets (particularly newspapers) have needed to do something for a long time about their online content. They've unintentionally helped enable the mindset that news on the internet should be free.

• Plus1 1