DE Mosai Newsom [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

53 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Newsom Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Vince R. said:

He needs to get in the weight room and transform his body now. I don't think Nebraska can afford to bring in developmental guys at that position. 

You're talking to the staff who took in a dude with one hand and turned him into an All-American draft pick LB. 

I'll give them some leeway on "development" of players. 

• Plus1 7
18 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

You're talking to the staff who took in a dude with one hand and turned him into an All-American draft pick LB. 

I'll give them some leeway on "development" of players. 

I didn't say they couldn't develop him. I know they can. His body is underdeveloped, and because the position is filled mostly with Jr's and Srs, I think Nebraska should be looking to sign guys who look and can play like D1 players now. 

I know Nebraska gets labeled as a "developmental program" but I think that is overblown. Nebraska can get high caliber D-lineman yearly. 

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I didn't say they couldn't develop him. I know they can. His body is underdeveloped, and because the position is filled mostly with Jr's and Srs, I think Nebraska should be looking to sign guys who look and can play like D1 players now. 

I know Nebraska gets labeled as a "developmental program" but I think that is overblown. Nebraska can get high caliber D-lineman yearly. 

I'm not seeing the immediate need. The Davises have another year. Stille is just a soph. We have four other young schollie DE's in Thomas. Wildman, Walker,  and Rogers developing. Seems fairly typical. Plus now we have great JUCO contacts to work if we see need for immediate help. Passing on Newsom on the hope that we can get somebody more ready to play now would be a mistake IMO.

Id rather not pass on a kid like this just because he’s slightly under developed in his junior year of HS. If Iowa, Minnesota and NW think he’s good enough for their front seven then he’s good enough for ours.

Imo

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

I hope we get him. 

And this? We gotta move past this line of thinking if we want to get back where we wanna be. 

Not even Scott Frost could go from s#!t to national championship in a year. Which speaks to the fact that it is a gradual process, with steps to be taken in between. 

If steps in between means mirroring 3 teams who all happened to be more successful than we were last year... I think that makes sense? 

18 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

Not even Scott Frost could go from s#!t to national championship in a year. Which speaks to the fact that it is a gradual process, with steps to be taken in between. 

If steps in between means mirroring 3 teams who all happened to be more successful than we were last year... I think that makes sense? 

I know there’s no championship coming this year. Northern Illinois was more successful than we were last year. Doesn’t mean I want kids they want.

I’m just saying set the bar higher in our minds. Something like if he’s good enough for Michigan, Oregon and A&M than he’s good enough for us.

All that being said, I want this kid to commit. 

20 minutes ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

I know there’s no championship coming this year. Northern Illinois was more successful than we were last year. Doesn’t mean I want kids they want.

I’m just saying set the bar higher in our minds. Something like if he’s good enough for Michigan, Oregon and A&M than he’s good enough for us.

All that being said, I want this kid to commit. 

I would rather use Iowa and NW as a bar for recruiting DL than Oregon and A&M.  This kid is a good prospect, has a great frame, and shows some versatility to play inside or outside on the line.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

I would rather use Iowa and NW as a bar for recruiting DL than Oregon and A&M.  This kid is a good prospect, has a great frame, and shows some versatility to play inside or outside on the line.  

You may be right but I think the point is that if we are going to say, "If he's good enough for non-championship winning, middle of the pack in the B1G teams, then he's he's good enough for Nebraska", then we deserve to not be in national discussions.

Having said that, I'm sure he is a good prospect and would do well at Nebraska.  I just think the argument that if Northwestern wants him, that should be all the evidence we need is extremely weak.

• Plus1 6
58 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

You may be right but I think the point is that if we are going to say, "If he's good enough for non-championship winning, middle of the pack in the B1G teams, then he's he's good enough for Nebraska", then we deserve to not be in national discussions.

Having said that, I'm sure he is a good prospect and would do well at Nebraska.  I just think the argument that if Northwestern wants him, that should be all the evidence we need is extremely weak.

Agree completely. 

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I would take a Stanford quality OL and OK state and WVU caliber WR, and Wisconsin caliber LB's.  None of those teams are winning championship but they have very high caliber of players for certain positions.  

• Mavric changed the title to DE Mosai Newsom [Nebraska - Signed LOI]
  • Mavric pinned this topic