WR Wan'Dale Robinson [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

110 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Robinson Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

Guys like this make football a game of chess.  In a perfect offense you would have a QB that can run (remember the dorks that felt Tanner Lee could run enough to keep the D worried about him) and you have 5 skill guys that can run and catch.

My guess, and I am not a college coach, is that defenses are no longer reacting to personal packages (11, 21, 12, and so on) because most offenses do not really want a true TE, WR, RB anymore...FB/TE got changed to H-Back...and years ago a RB that could catch was a Halfback...QB's used to hate being called an "Athlete" but that is all changing.  

Again this is just my lame guess, but DC's are not subbing their guys based on the position that a guy is listed it...but they are basing it on what their guys on defense can do best.  So if you have 5 OL and a QB that can run...then you have Washington and Robinson in the game...JD (who can carry the ball or do WR screens)  as the DC, I want 3 DL, 3 LB's and 5 DBs.  I would rather give up 10 yards than 50...

I personally do not sub players based on who the other team puts in...I just change their depth...but I coach at a level where my best 11 guys are already on the field...that is not the case in D1 football.

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, GSG said:

The next Rondale Moore

THE Wandale Robinson 

Absolutely. 2 different players, 2 different positions. 

The appeal of Wandale is only partly in what he can do with the ball in his hands, it's also the fact we now have our hybrid hb/wr. That's a huge part of this offense missing from last year.

To give one of many examples, this is a scenario that happened often at UCF/Oregon:

Come out in 3 receivers, Wandale and Washington in split backs. What personnel does the defense choose?

That personnel suggests run, with the qb potentially representing 3 runners in the backfield. If you come out to match with two LBs and Wandale motions out, especially to something like trips, that's a huge mismatch. If you represent a weak box and Wandale stays as a back, you could be facing something like a triple option with either back as the dive. 

Having a guy like Wandale gives an offense the luxury of benefitting from both 1 back and 2 back systems at the same time. It opens up a new dimension to this offense.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

How's Wandale's top end speed?  That's what set DAT apart from other shifty guys.  Many times you get one o the other; rare to package quicks and speed.

I don't think Wandale has the top end speed of DAT, but I think he has better acceleration and lateral movement.  DAT was pretty thin and narrow, while Wandale has a thick, sturdy  frame.  The way Rahmir Johnson runs reminds me more of DAT than Wandale does.  

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

I don't think Wandale has the top end speed of DAT, but I think he has better acceleration and lateral movement.  DAT was pretty thin and narrow, while Wandale has a thick, sturdy  frame.  The way Rahmir Johnson runs reminds me more of DAT than Wandale does.  

I have been thinking the same thing since Johnson committed.

• Mavric changed the title to WR Wan'Dale Robinson [Nebraska - Signed LOI]