Mavric

RB John Bivens

HuskerBoard Predictor  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Player: John Bivens

Hometown: Dayton, Ohio

School: Archbishop Alter

Position: Running Back

Height: 6-1

Weight: 205

40 Time

Offers: Cincinnati, Indiana, Iowa State, Kentucky, Louisville, Nebraska, Purdue, Toledo, USC, West Virginia

Visits: 4/21/18 - Spring Game; 1/19/19

Twitter

247 Composite: #401 Overall; #23 RB; .8884; :star:star:star 

Rivals: #27 RB; :star:star:star 
247: #342 Overall; #21 RB; :star:star:star:star 
ESPN

Hudl

I love this kid's film.

There is an attribute that I want people to watch when he runs. You'll see a subtle bounce when he's toting the rock. I know that sounds a little crazy because he is running, but if you train your eye to notice, you'll see it. It is an attribute that says a lot about the players agility and movement. Yes he is fast, but the other important part is that he has tremendous balance. This allows him to curve and change direction without it being obvious. It is a defenders nightmare.  

Edited by Vince R.
  • Plus1 4

On 3/22/2018 at 5:52 PM, Vince R. said:

I love this kid's film.

There is an attribute that I want people to watch when he runs. You'll see a subtle bounce when he's toting the rock. I know that sounds a little crazy because he is running, but if you train your eye to notice, you'll see it. It is an attribute that says a lot about the players agility and movement. Yes he is fast, but the other important part is that he has tremendous balance. This allows him to curve and change direction without it being obvious. It is a defenders nightmare.  

Film is pretty good and he is smooth with good burst and acceleration.  Seems to get good blocks out of the wishbone and gets through first level quick.  Intriguing prospect.  

• Plus1 2

11 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Film is pretty good and he is smooth with good burst and acceleration.  Seems to get good blocks out of the wishbone and gets through first level quick.  Intriguing prospect.  

I can watch his film all day. I want him in our class. 

• Plus1 1

Recovering from a knee injury and has academic concerns.

Wiltfong also thinks talent wise he might be the best back in the Midwest. 

• Plus1 3

18 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

He is the best I have seen at the RB position this cycle.

Gosh, I really hope those two issues will be resolved. I wonder what the severity of his injury is. If his grades are an issue, it makes sense then as to why Nebraska doesn't talk to him daily.

6 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Perfect second RB for a class

• Plus1 1

Excellent RB.   He blocks, runs quick, decisive, hard to get to his feet, doesn't run out of bounds and likes to cut back, makes people miss and out runs almost everybody.  Near perfect size already.  Can likely carry another 10 or even 15 pounds.   Reads the holes exceptionally well.  Good hands, etc.   He fits the bill for NU perfectly in my view.   Most of his highlights are runs to the right side but the few to the left, he holds ball in left hand instinctively well

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Unless he doesn't qualify

Thats the point though. We can take a risk for our second RB since we already have one locked down. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Weird how we hammered the last coach for going after a player with academic issues.  But now it’s okay.

Who exactly? Blades? It's different putting all your eggs in a single basket as opposed to having eggs in two baskets and dropping one basket. 

• Plus1 5

It sounds like WR and RB are very flexible in this system.  If we have a WR or RB that doesn't pan out it will be easy to gain depth from elsewhere

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Weird how we hammered the last coach for going after a player with academic issues.  But now it’s okay.

this staff isn't turning away other prospects that are of equal or better rating in order to recruit kids they know are academic risks. 

Blades is a great example of this but the worst example by far is Mapieu. His issues were known 2 years before his graduation date. 

You're choosing a hell of a hill to die on here.

• Plus1 5

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Who exactly? Blades? It's different putting all your eggs in a single basket as opposed to having eggs in two baskets and dropping one basket. 

Blades, Watts, Mapieu.  I am of the opinion that it is ill advised to consider academic risks this early in the recruiting process. 

If, in fact, he is an academic risk.

37 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Blades, Watts, Mapieu.  I am of the opinion that it is ill advised to consider academic risks this early in the recruiting process. 

Yep.  Every situation is exactly the same an no detailed circumstances should be considered in favor of making sweeping, blanket statements.

• Plus1 7

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I see no reason to not even consider him.

Do they need to do their due diligence and maybe hold off on accepting a commitment until he meets some milestones they set for him? Of course, but to just avoid him is assuring that they'll miss on a potentially great recruit.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Thats the point though. We can take a risk for our second RB since we already have one locked down. 

You can't afford to waste roster spots..

30 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

You can't afford to waste roster spots..

He has 2 summers and a full year to get things in order.  Recruit the heck out of the kid and don't stop recruiting others in the process.   If it gets closer to signing day and it doesn't look good with him qualifying then you can pull back.  You can not miss on a kid if they are a borderline qualification issue because you assume they won't make it.  

• Plus1 2

How fast is this kid?  Is he projecting like a bigger Killins (UCF)?  The offense will be dynamic so let's get this kid if he fits.  

• Plus1 1

Late in the process. Back up plan? Don't know what that'd be back up to.. Just waiting to see how academics go? Interesting. I like that he's got a bit more weight than the other backs we have in coming in besides Mills. Obviously talented so no complaints

9 minutes ago, ADS said:

Visiting that late usually means they’re a back up plan.

Yeah this.

I think he may be the best RB recruit since Abdulah assuming we can grab him.   I know Frost looks at Mr. Kentucky as the next Spiehlman and that is important but we need a RB of Bivens' caliber for the future.   He has all the right stuff - size, speed, agility, power, hands, etc.   He can be the icing on the cake in my view!.     

8 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Back up to whom?

That was my question too. It does really feel like a back up plan time frame but I don't see one of ours backing out or not making grades. Unless a few more of those are "Duck-R" or looking to be more receiver-ish. We definitely don't have a back of his stature in this class and that becomes even more noticeable if you only account for the ones who will be here more than 2 years. 

Besides Mills, is Bradley our only "bigger" back? Also, staff certainly doesn't mind recruiting kids coming back from serious injury.

30 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think he may be the best RB recruit since Abdulah assuming we can grab him.   I know Frost looks at Mr. Kentucky as the next Spiehlman and that is important but we need a RB of Bivens' caliber for the future.   He has all the right stuff - size, speed, agility, power, hands, etc.   He can be the icing on the cake in my view!.     

I 2nd this.  I like his mentality and toughness as well.

I'm intrigued by this kid. If they take him, give him a RS year and see where he fits in behind Washington, Johnson and Thompkins. 

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm intrigued by this kid. If they take him, give him a RS year and see where he fits in behind Washington, Johnson and Thompkins. 

I mean he's rated the same as Johnson and Thompkins. He may not be the one who needs a redshirt year.

• Upvote 1