Here's a completely new explanation for why 2017 sucked so bad that has never been brought up in this forum before - lack of accountability

On March 10, 2018 at 10:40 AM, OH HSKR FAN said:

Possibly squares trying to fit into triangular holes.   No fault on the player but maybe a player without a position?

Ben Miles is the first player that comes to mind.

Yet, here's what I know....if you can play, and you work hard, you'll find a place in Frost's system. They had a DT playing as a fullback last year a few times in goal line situations. A traditional fullback may not be a featured position in this offense, but that doesn't mean it can't situationally see the field.

Frost is exactly the kind of coach to suddenly switch gears if he feels the defense is keying on one thing too heavily.

• Plus1 1
On 3/10/2018 at 9:42 PM, Whistlepig said:

One could say at $50k a year they got a deal, i'd question that because I think his mediocrity is infectious, but who knows maybe its just a titular title they gave him and his real job is to massage groin injuries 

The bolded may have played a significant role but we shouldn't forget Mike Riley is still a pretty well-respected and well thought of coach, even if he has been a fairly mediocre head football coach. On the surface, I'd also say he could probably flourish as a position coach. We see things like that happen all time and the most notable example around here is Bill Callahan: a pretty mediocre to bad head coach but a great offensive line coach and really respected in the NFL.

• Plus1 4
On 3/9/2018 at 5:28 PM, Moiraine said:

I know it's been talked about a lot already but it's something I think about every time I read about strength training and/or accountability under the new coaches.

I think a combination of factors that I've read about various places (mostly here) may have made things especially bad.

a) Strength training coaches not being allowed by the football coaches to punish players for slacking off, showing up late, not showing up. - No punishment. E.g. starting players had no chance of having playing time taken away.

b) Riley's attitude that the players should know good decisions when they see them. This might be a good tactic for some people, but not all, and we're talking about 18-22 year olds. I know how immature I was at that age, even though I was an adult.

c) Using time off from workouts as a reward - what were they thinking? For one thing, time off from workouts shouldn't be seen as reward. It's part of how the players reach what their goals should be. It should be seen as a reward getting to be at Nebraska and working out to become a better player.

d) Not rotating players. This was the case on the OL but maybe some other places too (not sure on that). If you're a starter, and you're not looking over your shoulder, and you have no fear of ever losing your starting job once you gain it, I don't care how dedicated to the team you are. It's going to be harder to be motivated to be the best you can be. Competition is a great motivator.

All of those combined are a good recipe for crappy results. I think those things, way more than front squat vs. back squat (although it's still interesting to talk about) are very important.

You bring up some really great points here. And to add to that, coaches do not have to yell at players to punish them either. I think Riley/Eichorst didn't want coaches yelling at players too much for whatever reason, but you don't have to yell to tell a player to get on the line if they are late. It baffles my mind that lack of accountability takes place at a D1 program and yet many NAIA schools don't allow players to slack off like Riley let his players do last season. Not sure if it was a recruiting promise or what, but a new sheriff is in town and he is on a mission to get us back to where we need to be. Winning the right way and doing so with class, also wearing teams out and making them dread playing Nebraska, especially in Memorial Stadium.

• Plus1 1
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, Enhance said:

The bolded may have played a significant role but we shouldn't forget Mike Riley is still a pretty well-respected and well thought of coach, even if he has been a fairly mediocre head football coach. On the surface, I'd also say he could probably flourish as a position coach. We see things like that happen all time and the most notable example around here is Bill Callahan: a pretty mediocre to bad head coach but a great offensive line coach and really respected in the NFL.

Ya, a position coach doesn't have to be the heart of the team. Riley obviously doesn't have the necessary intensity or energy to be a HC anymore but I can see him doing solid work as a wr-coach.

On 3/13/2018 at 2:05 PM, HuskermanMike said:

You bring up some really great points here. And to add to that, coaches do not have to yell at players to punish them either. I think Riley/Eichorst didn't want coaches yelling at players too much for whatever reason, but you don't have to yell to tell a player to get on the line if they are late. It baffles my mind that lack of accountability takes place at a D1 program and yet many NAIA schools don't allow players to slack off like Riley let his players do last season. Not sure if it was a recruiting promise or what, but a new sheriff is in town and he is on a mission to get us back to where we need to be. Winning the right way and doing so with class, also wearing teams out and making them dread playing Nebraska, especially in Memorial Stadium.

Yeah man, Wiscy we are gonna wear you the hell out!

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, admo said:

Long thread title, but...

Run the ball!

I have a new motto, how about winning ball games. I don't care what it takes, throwing on 3 and 1 or running on 3rd and 30, put players in a position to succeed to win the game. No more of this offense that sputters and takes its times, we are stressing the defense out and making them confused on what we are doing. Basically, running circles around the defense and this offense will continuously evolve and will be hard to defend. 

19 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

I have a new motto, how about winning ball games. I don't care what it takes, throwing on 3 and 1 or running on 3rd and 30, put players in a position to succeed to win the game. No more of this offense that sputters and takes its times, we are stressing the defense out and making them confused on what we are doing. Basically, running circles around the defense and this offense will continuously evolve and will be hard to defend. 

I fully expect this board to blow up the first time Frost's offense throws it on 3rd and inches and doesn't get it.

They're going to fail plenty, but I can guarantee they'll succeed far more than the last staff.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I fully expect this board to blow up the first time Frost's offense throws it on 3rd and inches and doesn't get it.

They're going to fail plenty, but I can guarantee they'll succeed far more than the last staff.

People will give Frost the benefit of the doubt for awhile.