Ben Stille's moved back to DL

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

When I was at UNL I thought the rumor was that "regular students" could eat at the training table too.

You can, you just have to make a reservation ahead of time.

I probably gained 20 pounds in about seven weeks while at UNL as well. I don't think it was all muscle though.

• Plus1 3
16 hours ago, Mavric said:

In my HS year book there is a picture of me (similar to this one) where I have 405 on the bar getting ready to squat.*

*Full disclosure: The photographer was a good friend and I just posed for the picture.  If I actually tried to squat 405 I would have blown out both my knees and my back.

Edited by Red Five

On 3/11/2018 at 3:53 AM, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Yes its outlandish to say the least.  Stille already looked pretty jacked too, so im just gonna take it as some posturing and see how it plays out in the fall. 

In the article Ben says he weighed 260lbs at the end of last season and he is at 278lbs now. 

On 3/10/2018 at 11:33 PM, Moiraine said:

Pretty sure 20 lbs of muscle in 2 months is unpossible.

Debbie-Downer-Negative-Nellies-Confront-

Not really, it is not only possible but can be done by a lot of guys.   Tristan Gebbia is not going to put on 20 lbs of muscle in 8-9 weeks, he doesn't have the body type. Big guys OL and DL guys can do it.  Besides you are assuming that from the end of football season, basically the last week of November till the start of winter condintioning, middle of January he was doing nothing,  which I very much doubt.  

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, teachercd said:

When I was at UNL I thought the rumor was that "regular students" could eat at the training table too.

22 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I heard that also but never tried to eat there.  I just assumed it was a myth.

When I was in school, you could eat there once a day, for lunch. Dinner was reserved for athletes. 

5 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Not really, it is not only possible but can be done by a lot of guys.   Tristan Gebbia is not going to put on 20 lbs of muscle in 8-9 weeks, he doesn't have the body type. Big guys OL and DL guys can do it.  Besides you are assuming that from the end of football season, basically the last week of November till the start of winter condintioning, middle of January he was doing nothing,  which I very much doubt.  

Unlikely, but let's say it's possible - that's the type of thing you hear about for new lifters. Stille isn't a new lifter.

Here's another bit of info from 2 days ago.

“I speak for myself especially, it’s definitely the strongest I’ve ever been in my life,” said the 6-foot-5 Stille, who added that he’s put on about 20 pounds and currently weighs about 280.

He's gained 20 total lbs. There's no way 100% of that is muscle.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Unlikely, but let's say it's possible - that's the type of thing you hear about for new lifters. Stille isn't a new lifter.

Maybe he also lost some fat?

10 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Maybe he also lost some fat?

I mean, it felt kinda dumb to bring it up in the first place because I think Duval's just trying to get them excited, but I'll keep going anyway. If he lost 10 lbs of fat then he would've gained 30 lbs of muscle. And from one of those articles it sounded like he was already an avid lifter. Admittedly 20lbs in 4 months isn't nearly as crazy sounding.

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I mean, it felt kinda dumb to bring it up in the first place because I think Duval's just trying to get them excited, but I'll keep going anyway. If he lost 10 lbs of fat then he would've gained 30 lbs of muscle. And from one of those articles it sounded like he was already an avid lifter. Admittedly 20lbs in 4 months isn't nearly as crazy sounding.

I read 20 lbs of lean muscle mass as plus 20 lbs of muscle. I assumed total weight gain was less than 20 lbs. In any case I prefer this to the previous regime that focused on producing skinny legs and  big bellies.

Edited by MichiganDad3
49 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Of coarse it is not 100% muscle.  That is impossible.  I think you are taking what Duval is saying a little too literally.  You are assuming that if he is gaining 20 lbs in 2 months than some of it has to be fat.  Their are a lot of other tissues in the human body besides fat and muscle.  

2 hours ago, caveman99 said:

In the article Ben says he weighed 260lbs at the end of last season and he is at 278lbs now. 

Yeah that puts the timeline a little longer than the 2 months in the post that I quoted.  I can easily see someone gaining 20 LBs after the season is over. I'm sure most players run lean during the season just because its a grueling process with playing and school, but there is no way that is 20 Lbs of muscle in that time. Gaining pure muscle weight takes a long time. Especially for someone who was already pretty jacked.