JUCO RB Dedrick Mills [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

To say not paying a speeding ticket (by itself) is a deal killer, is over reacting. 

However, to say everything is perfectly great with this recruit is ignoring reality. 

If it were just the speeding ticket, he would be already signed. Fact is, the kid has been kicked off of one team already. His offer would already be on a short leash. Obviously there is a reason he hasn’t signed and it’s possible (speculation alert) that Frost has given him an ultimatum to clean up his act. 

Maybe frost needed to see what his punishment was going to be before he lets him sign. 

The kid needs to start proving he has some maturity to be able to be brought in and contribute. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
10 hours ago, SECHusker said:

Yes, we all know players being arrested isnt a character flaw as long as we are winning...

63065065.jpg

10 hours ago, Huskinator said:

Does this have to be a standard for how we run our program now????  Different times in the internet age bub.  Things are held to a higher standard with the wealth of information at our fingertips. 

You both have, rather hilariously, missed the point. The kid didn't commit a violent felony; he missed a court date. For speeding tickets. Don't clutch your pearls so tightly, you'll lose circulation. 

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

So to you  someone being an addict is bad but someone who repeatedly does something they shouldn't be doing to the point they get kicked off the team is "zero issue"?

How many times did Paul catch Dedrick smoking a joint? How many times has Randy been caught smoking a joint? Now compare the two and tell me the difference. 

8 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

You both have, rather hilariously, missed the point. The kid didn't commit a violent felony; he missed a court date. For speeding tickets. Don't clutch your pearls so tightly, you'll lose circulation. 

First, Happy New Year to you. Second, he wasn't arrested for speeding tickets. It appears he committed the criminal offense of driving while license suspended, and his speeding gave probable cause for the stop. He was arrested for failure to appear for a court date. Third, we don't know why his license was suspended, it could have been an accumulation of unpaid tickets or something more serious. Lastly, my point is if this kid did not take a criminal offense seriously, regardless of the severity of the offense, that is an issue; and compounded with totality of everything else makes me want to move on.

Like it or not he will be the oldest and likely leader of the RB room, and it is more important that he gives a good example of how to do things the right way to the younger guys, than his physical attributes on the playing field.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 3
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

How many times did Paul catch Dedrick smoking a joint? How many times has Randy been caught smoking a joint? Now compare the two and tell me the difference. 

The difference is more than once is not zero.

Not getting caught is not the same as not having a problem.

Plus I'm pretty sure you have no idea what the actual number is for either.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, SECHusker said:

First, Happy New Year to you. Second, he wasn't arrested for speeding tickets. It appears he committed the criminal offense of driving while license suspended, and his speeding gave probable cause for the stop. He was arrested for failure to appear for a court date. Third, we don't know why his license was suspended, it could have been an accumulation of unpaid tickets or something more serious. Lastly, my point is if this kid did not take a criminal offense seriously, regardless of the severity of the offense, that is an issue; and compounded with totality of everything else makes me want to move on.

*Sigh*

This is correctible behavior, particularly by a staff the caliber of Frost and company. Also, if this is the level of behavior that you're going to "draw the line at", you're not only going to restrict the level and amount of kids you're going to recruit, but you're also going to have to parse through the roster and remove a few kids. 

"Like it or not he will be the oldest and likely leader of the RB room, and it is more important that he gives a good example of how to do things the right way to the younger guys, than his physical attributes on the playing field."

No. Mazour and Washington will be the leaders of the RB room. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

*Sigh*

This is correctible behavior, particularly by a staff the caliber of Frost and company. Also, if this is the level of behavior that you're going to "draw the line at", you're not only going to restrict the level and amount of kids you're going to recruit, but you're also going to have to parse through the roster and remove a few kids. 

No. Mazour and Washington will be the leaders of the RB room. 

I get it. You have a win at all costs mentality. But Frost has previously told recruits that we won't recruit them if they have objectionable material on their social media, and here you have kid on criminal probation. Let that sink in. Cri-min-al pro-ba-tion. Where if he slips up in the slightest he can go to jail. It's not a question of what this staff can handle, 'but why?' I for one don't believe we should risk having a kid on campus than get picked up on a warrant for his arrest; and when you couple that with everything else I say we move on.  Also I don't know what neighborhoods you live in, but I believe it is easy to find a talented kid that has not been arrested. And still this kid has multiple red flags and he hasn't stepped foot on campus.

Lets be real, I like Mazour but he hasn't started a game; has fewer than 15 career carries; and hasn't broken 100 rushing yards in his four years here. It's hard to lead from the back, and I believe the staff sees Mills as a potential starter. As for Washington, he is still young and only been on campus for less than 6 months. You may be asking too much of him to step in and lead.

As for me continuing this conversation, I'm done and I hope the staff makes the right choice.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • Mavric changed the title to JUCO RB Dedrick Mills [Nebraska - Signed LOI]