Post-Practice Presser - March 16

3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

^ we're due for another national championship in 2018 or 2020 depending on how you read the pattern. There are probably others I don't see. But I'm going with 2020.

Going to be tough but it clearly states: 2018 2019 2021 2022.   Going to have to be patient from 2023-2041 - hope i can live until 2048 to see 5 in 7 years

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

Going to be tough but it clearly states: 2018 2019 2021 2022.   Going to have to be patient from 2023-2041 - hope i can live until 2048 to see 5 in 7 years

Well, what I meant is the first one will be 2018 or 2020. Then, obviously, the next would be either

2019, 2021 and 2022

or

2021, 2023 and 2024

These days, I'm just hoping we don't set a new record for longest stretch without a conference championship. I believe the previous worst stretch was 22 seasons without a championship, between Biff Jones winning it in 1940 and Devaney in 1963.

1 minute ago, Toe said:

These days, I'm just hoping we don't set a new record for longest stretch without a conference championship. I believe the previous worst stretch was 22 seasons without a championship, between Biff Jones winning it in 1940 and Devaney in 1963.

Ya we're approaching that pretty quick. I'm fine with that goal, although if we're competing for a conference championship there's a decent chance we're in the hunt for the playoffs too.

16 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Well, what I meant is the first one will be 2018 or 2020. Then, obviously, the next would be either

2019, 2021 and 2022

or

2021, 2023 and 2024

I got what you were thinking - just thinking what would be the best!!!

However, your prediction has a much better chance to become part of history....

Edited by GBRFAN

My optimism is we will quickly see us become competitive in all games.  Then a division crown, conference and playoffs. Frost has "it".  The staff is unified in vision, scheme and method.  This isnt some staff composed of a hold over from former regimes.  Guys the administration said to keep or guys who havent known each other.  They went to an 0-12 team in 2015 and in 2017 were 13-0........They know how to rebuild.  They knof how to change the culture.  Seems like half the staff played here and knows the culture and what it takes to win at NU (I count 4 guys from NU, 5 with Duval)  UCF was a dumpster of issues when Frost took over.  Much more so than NU is now.  

The staff is saying, but more importantly, are doing (appear) what needs to be done to fix this ship.  

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

My optimism is we will quickly see us become competitive in all games.  Then a division crown, conference and playoffs. Frost has "it".  The staff is unified in vision, scheme and method.  This isnt some staff composed of a hold over from former regimes.  Guys the administration said to keep or guys who havent known each other.  They went to an 0-12 team in 2015 and in 2017 were 13-0........They know how to rebuild.  They knof how to change the culture.  Seems like half the staff played here and knows the culture and what it takes to win at NU (I count 4 guys from NU, 5 with Duval)  UCF was a dumpster of issues when Frost took over.  Much more so than NU is now.  

The staff is saying, but more importantly, are doing (appear) what needs to be done to fix this ship.  

Everything you hear from the staff just shows you they know what it takes to win at a high level. There is a level of insight when they talk about the culture and leadership they want to see. It really feels like these guys could do this anywhere, but it will really be a home run here because of the staffs connection to N. I know we have waited and waited looking through rose colored glasses every offseason for years, but it sure seems we finally have a can't miss coaching staff. 

• Plus1 1

Thus far, from the early reports, many of the players are working extra hard in the conditioning and strength programs to get into better shape and more physically ready to compete in games.   Of course, it is a long long time until September so they have a long way to go in this process.   If they work just as hard in the meetings and on the practice fields we should see improvement in the game performances.   Does that mean a much better team in terms of wins and losses?    That depends on a bunch of individual players and their work product.  For example, if we get improved QB and O line play, it is highly likely we will win more games.  If we have a defense that doesn't get tired and pushed around, we should see fewer points scored on us.  If we find somebody ready, willing and able to field and return punts, perhaps we will improve field position by another 50 yards a game.  

With the new 'fair catch' rule on kick offs, we may see more short squib kicks and other gimmickry in order to try to create turnovers and so on or maybe not have much impact at all.  

On the other hand, we've heard pretty much all the same coach speak and the 'buy in' and the working harder than ever and so on practically every year since Devaney arrived so there really is only one way to know for sure.  We'll know by mid way through the third quarter of the first game maybe.  We're either physically transformed or we're not.