Huskers Look to Revive Running Game

We need to see the yards per carry around 5.00 + and the number of carries around 40 per game minimum.   Even that is only 200 yards per game.  But if we get 200 rushing and 225 passing, while playing good defense, we should win 10 games.  Last year's RB yards of 150 plus whatever the QB got (I assume the QB yards are not incluced in those numbers shown) would be near the 200 mark.  

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The most important point to remember here is when Coach Frost says he's looking to revive the running game I know he's telling the truth and isn't a liar like .500 was.

I don't know what you mean. They had at least 3 or 4 running plays. What more could they have possibly done?

:sarcasm

In a 12 game regular season, getting a 1,000 yard rusher is actually not difficult.  That's only an average of 84 yards per game.  I think a good balance is having your #1 RB with ~1,200 - 1,400 yards, the #2 RB chipping in another 700-800 and the #3 about 200-300.

And while overall yards are important, average per carry is more important.  Nebraska needs to have a consistent, and at the minimum, 5 yards per carry average.

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

In a 12 game regular season, getting a 1,000 yard rusher is actually not difficult.  That's only an average of 84 yards per game.  I think a good balance is having your #1 RB with ~1,200 - 1,400 yards, the #2 RB chipping in another 700-800 and the #3 about 200-300.

And while overall yards are important, average per carry is more important.  Nebraska needs to have a consistent, and at the minimum, 5 yards per carry average.

I expect Frost to be looking for the #1 back this year, so we may not get a 1000 yard rusher, but it would not surprise me to see two 800 yard rushers or three 600 yard rushers.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, lo country said:

Think it was Held who said NU, needs that homerun  threat. Didn't say we didn't have that guy, but that's what makes the run game click.  

Who was Nebraska's last, true, "homerun" threat at RB?  I want to say Ahman Green back in 1997.  Have we had a legit homerun threat since then?  (Disclaimer: we may have, but I honestly cannot think of one.)

@RedDenver That first year with Frost at UCF is also a team that was 0-12 the year before. The talent on this NU squad is much better than the 4 wins they got last year.

UCF's talent returned....I don't know anything about but you have to either be a terrible terrible coach to go 0-12, or just not have the horses. I would think it was the lack of horses, considering O'Leary took them to a BCS bowl once.

6 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Who was Nebraska's last, true, "homerun" threat at RB?  I want to say Ahman Green back in 1997.  Have we had a legit homerun threat since then?  (Disclaimer: we may have, but I honestly cannot think of one.)

What's the definition of "homerun"? Speed? Speed+Agility? 

Great Scheme and execution and talented OL can give the appearance of homerun threat as well. Although I agree that Ahman was a homerun threat. I always felt Helu could have been that guy, but severely limited by anemic OL play.