The Modernization Of Basketball (The reason Miles should go in favor of a new coach)

So I came across this thread on Twitter today and thought I'd share. This is one of the biggest reasons I want to find a new coach, someone who is more modern in their approach to the game. Anyways, give it a read and gimme your reactions: 

Edited by seaofred92
  • Plus1 2

2 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Give me a Paul Westhead at Loyola Marymount type guy and system.  You know 1990s Hank Gathers ad Bo Kimble up and down the floor averaging 100+ a game.   I mean the he Miles defensive first mentality ain’t doing squat, so might as well make the games nonstop excitement 

:yeah

I wouldn't call it a referendum on UVA's style of play. UMBC was just a tough matchup and got hot, it happens. Duke and UNC both space the court and shoot 3s well. And UVA swept them this year, absolutely dominating arguably the best conference. "The scheme that UVA runs is fairly beatable with a simple approach." :lol: 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, QMany said:

I wouldn't call it a referendum on UVA's style of play. UMBC was just a tough matchup and got hot, it happens. Duke and UNC both space the court and shoot 3s well. And UVA swept them this year, absolutely dominating arguably the best conference. "The scheme that UVA runs is fairly beatable with a simple approach." :lol: 

I would call it a referendum on their style of play.  I have a good friend that I banter back on forth with about various teams during the season and we were both talking about how they were going to get knocked out early in the tournament like they pretty much always do because some team with a decent offense will outscore them.  And that's exactly what happened.  It's the same thing for UVA every year.  In case you didn't notice, they STRUGGLE hard on the offensive side of the ball and have all season.  UMBC did get somewhat hot but there's a lot of teams that if they used that game plan and executed it as well UMBC did, would end up winning that game.

I disagree that UVA struggles on offense.  Statistically, they were one of the most efficient teams on offense all season.  The reason people think they have a bad offense, is because they play slowly.  UVA  lost to UMBC because they were hitting shots which forced UVA to come out of their pack-the-lane defense, which then opened up driving lanes.  Then UVA started hurrying things on offense, and started taking very bad shots.  UMBC scored 50-some points in the second half.  It wasn't UVA's offense that was their main issue.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I disagree that UVA struggles on offense.  Statistically, they were one of the most efficient teams on offense all season.  The reason people think they have a bad offense, is because they play slowly.  UVA  lost to UMBC because they were hitting shots which forced UVA to come out of their pack-the-lane defense, which then opened up driving lanes.  Then UVA started hurrying things on offense, and started taking very bad shots.  UMBC scored 50-some points in the second half.  It wasn't UVA's offense that was their main issue.

They're 314th in the country in PPG...

I understand the mathematics around shooting the 3 and layups, and nothing in-between.  The only issue with that is that college players aren't as skilled as NBA players.  It's easy to say "we are going to load up on shooters and drivers" but it can be hard to find those types of players.  Syracuse's 2-3 zone works so well because teams don't shoot well and they don't know how to attack the zone when they have 2 days to prepare for them.

1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

They're 314th in the country in PPG...

I said OFFENSIVE EFFICIENCY.  They are low in PPG because of their tempo.  It's a huge difference.

In this ranking of offensive efficiency, Virginia is #52.  https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/offensive-efficiency

In this ranking of offensive efficiency, Virginia is in the mid-30s.  https://www.oddsshark.com/ncaab/offensive-stats

Now, I will say their pace of play allows teams to hang around with UVA, and they are susceptible to teams who are hot on the offensive end.  But, you are dead wrong when you say UVA's offense is the problem.

I also looked at UVA's defensive efficiency rankings, and they ranked 2nd in the country.  https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/defensive-efficiency

Tony Bennett obviously favors to play strong defense and slow the game down.  They pack in the paint on defense, and force teams to make shots on them.  It works great in the long-haul, but it does leave them vulnerable when a team is hitting shots.  UMBC hit 50% of their 3-pointers on Friday night, and 54% of overall field goals.  That is a defensive problem for Virginia.

Yes, UVA didn't hit the shots they usually do, but I also saw them taking numerous bad shots in the 2nd half, as they got down by 15+ points early in the 2nd half.  

This is BASKETBALL....anyone can get beat on a given night. 3 pointers can fall, 3 pointers can be missed. Kids can get in early foul trouble etc. Syracuse sucked the life out of the ball and slowed the tempo down and beat a WAY more talented Michigan State team who decided to chuck up 37 3's.  

The smaller schools more times than not aren't going to get equal athleticism and size. The equalizer is the 3P for most of those teams. You did see Marshall get completely waxed last night because Carter and Co. locked down Elmore and they fell apart. 

Loyola is a team I had in the S16 because they are a legit basketball team who are so fundamentally sound. Good veteran PG and move the ball very well - all 5 starters in double figures scoring this year. 

• Plus1 1