Where is the Recruiting Momentum?

I’m basically Optimist Prime, but I have to say I’m really wondering where our recruiting momentum is at under Frost?

Don’t get pissed, but Riley instantly had it. This time 3 years ago is when all the Keyshawn Sr. Stuff started to unravel. Which led to commitments from KJJR, Gebbia, Dismuke, plus visits from Holmes, pittman(whose little brother has us in his top 10) etc.

Just wondering when it’s going to hit this spring. 

• Plus1 2

Didn't Frost say that he doesn't do spring official visits?  Seems like TO was never big on getting the early commit almost like he wanted them to wait and make sure that the kids were 100% sure - maybe SF has an approach that is similar.   Either way, as you are hinting towards, it would be really nice to see some momentum moving NU's way.

7 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Didn't Frost say that he doesn't do spring official visits?  Seems like TO was never big on getting the early commit almost like he wanted them to wait and make sure that the kids were 100% sure - maybe SF has an approach that is similar.   Either way, as you are hinting towards, it would be really nice to see some momentum moving NU's way.

EVERYONE is big on getting recruits to unofficially visit. Which is what i referred to. 

This is is the first year of spring officials, so it didn’t play a role for Riley.

Edited by ScottyIce
4 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

EVERYONE is big on getting recruits to unofficially visit. Which is what i referred to. 

This is is the first year of spring officials, so it didn’t play a role for Riley.

There are quite a few guys that have already said they'll be at the spring game, and I'm sure we'll hear about lots more as it gets closer. We haven't heard as much about them because I don't think any of them have famous parents.

36 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

There are quite a few guys that have already said they'll be at the spring game, and I'm sure we'll hear about lots more as it gets closer. We haven't heard as much about them because I don't think any of them have famous parents.

Check back the past couple years, I had a running list of Spring game attendees. Last year it was around 50 at this time.

Riley had one connection that got a lot of early pub.  They went from 0 to 100 pretty quickly based on that.  Didn't really end up meaning all that much (other than Gebbia) but it really helped them get going.

Frost and Co are a long ways behind for a lot of reasons.  First, they had a ton of work to do to fill the 2018 class.  Riley was fortunate that most of Pelini's recruits stayed on so they didn't have nearly as much work to do there.  Second, Frost was splitting time between recruiting for the 2018 class and coaching UCF.  They didn't have much time to get a jump start on 2019.  Third, when they finally did get the 2018 class signed they were so burned out from doing two jobs for two months that they took some time off - and deservedly so.  Now they're finally getting to where they can really get going on the 2019 class.  Finally, Riley could sell recruits on coming to one of the 4-5 schools who had won at least nine games the previous seven seasons.  Pretty easy to sell "we just need a few guys to get us over the top" in that scenario.  Frost is recovering from a dumpster fire.

It's unfortunate.  But it's the way it is.  We have ground to make up but I'm not worried.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Riley had one connection that got a lot of early pub.  They went from 0 to 100 pretty quickly based on that.  Didn't really end up meaning all that much (other than Gebbia) but it really helped them get going.

Frost and Co are a long ways behind for a lot of reasons.  First, they had a ton of work to do to fill the 2018 class.  Riley was fortunate that most of Pelini's recruits stayed on so they didn't have nearly as much work to do there.  Second, Frost was splitting time between recruiting for the 2018 class and coaching UCF.  They didn't have much time to get a jump start on 2019.  Third, when they finally did get the 2018 class signed they were so burned out from doing two jobs for two months that they took some time off - and deservedly so.  Now they're finally getting to where they can really get going on the 2019 class.  Finally, Riley could sell recruits on coming to one of the 4-5 schools who had won at least nine games the previous seven seasons.  Pretty easy to sell "we just need a few guys to get us over the top" in that scenario.  Frost is recovering from a dumpster fire.

It's unfortunate.  But it's the way it is.  We have ground to make up but I'm not worried.

Sounds like "the new coach is going to be so much better at recruiting than the old coach just wait and see" justification to me :P

• Plus1 2

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yep...and basically it's March.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Check back the past couple years, I had a running list of Spring game attendees. Last year it was around 50 at this time.

While I agree with @Mavric and he basically covered everything, I decided to look back at the past 3 years.

I know there were a lot of spring game visitors last year, but wouldn't the 2015 Spring Game be a better comparison since it was Riley's first year?

Looking at the numbers, I'd say we've already matched that year.

2015 had 9 class of '16 scholly players (2 that were committed), 4 class of '17 scholly players, and 16 others (mostly potential walk-ons)

2016 had 18 class of '17 scholly players, 3 class of '18 scholly players, and 14 others

2017 had 29 class of '18 scholly players, 12 class of '19 & '20 scholly players

2018 already has 9 class of '19 players that have said they're coming, and that doesn't even include the 3 commits

So 2016 had 13 (29 total), 2017 had 21 (35 total), and 2018 had 41 (non-scholly players weren't included)

A couple notes:

1. These numbers probably aren't exact, but they should be close and give us a good idea

2. These lists were of potential visitors, I didn't look at how many actually showed up

3. These lists were updated right up until the spring game - we're currently 33 days away from the spring game

4. Many kids don't make plans weeks in advance, I'm sure we'll hear about more

5. I'd be shocked if we didn't have at least 20 potential walk-on candidates at the spring game

2015:

2016:

2017:

Also, this looks familiar:

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

While I agree with @Mavric and he basically covered everything, I decided to look back at the past 3 years.

I know there were a lot of spring game visitors last year, but wouldn't the 2015 Spring Game be a better comparison since it was Riley's first year?

Looking at the numbers, I'd say we've already matched that year.

2015 had 9 class of '16 scholly players (2 that were committed), 4 class of '17 scholly players, and 16 others (mostly potential walk-ons)

2016 had 18 class of '17 scholly players, 3 class of '18 scholly players, and 14 others

2017 had 29 class of '18 scholly players, 12 class of '19 & '20 scholly players

2018 already has 9 class of '19 players that have said they're coming, and that doesn't even include the 3 commits

So 2016 had 13 (29 total), 2017 had 21 (35 total), and 2018 had 41 (non-scholly players weren't included)

A couple notes:

1. These numbers probably aren't exact, but they should be close and give us a good idea

2. These lists were of potential visitors, I didn't look at how many actually showed up

3. These lists were updated right up until the spring game - we're currently 33 days away from the spring game

4. Many kids don't make plans weeks in advance, I'm sure we'll hear about more

5. I'd be shocked if we didn't have at least 20 potential walk-on candidates at the spring game

2015:

2016:

2017:

Also, this looks familiar:

Fair, but the 2015 SPRING GAME visitors list wasn't that impressive, it was the actual visitors to practices and campus before hand. That's when the Keyshawn19 group or whatever came through. Only Keyshawn and maybe Darnay? came to the Spring game that year. 

PS, i'm impressed that you were able to dig up all those dinosaurs. Kudos! 

Also @Mavric I feel really comfortable in saying that the Keyshawn movement directly led to commitments from:

Dismuke, Keyshawn, Gebbia, Tyjon, McQuitty, POB and Avery Roberts. 

I realize Keyshawn is gone.

I realize none of those guys have done a whole lot yet.

I also realize you will argue about McQuitty, POB and Roberts, but the Keyshawn stuff set the ocean in motion for those commits. They were heavily peer recruited by Keyshawn Jr.