Verduzco on Quarterbacks

Verduzco said in the press conference today that Martinez has more zip on the ball now. Also said they gave McCaffrey some reps with the 1s yesterday and he did a good job (didn't sound to me like he was anointing him the backup, though).

My guess is McCaffrey and Vedral will be co #2 this season and if we have more than 1 blowout, they might take turns being the 2nd guy in.

I think the B1G coach that said we're thin at QB might be wrong. We were extremely thin last season but we now have Vedral and McCaffrey. Our backup QB last year for much of the season is likely our #4 QB right now. I wouldn't say we're deep, because they're all young, but I wouldn't call it thin.

• Plus1 2

14 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Verduzco said in the press conference today that Martinez has more zip on the ball now. Also said they gave McCaffrey some reps with the 1s yesterday and he did a good job (didn't sound to me like he was anointing him the backup, though).

My guess is McCaffrey and Vedral will be co #2 this season and if we have more than 1 blowout, they might take turns being the 2nd guy in.

I think the B1G coach that said we're thin at QB might be wrong. We were extremely thin last season but we now have Vedral and McCaffrey. Our backup QB last year for much of the season is likely our #4 QB right now. I wouldn't say we're deep, because they're all young, but I wouldn't call it thin.

I thought I had read coaches want to RS McCaffrey. Honestly for me that might mean not playing him in garbage time just in case he is needed for some real backup action. Seems @MyBloodIsRed16 might end up being right in McCaffrey being the true #2 but I think they will play Vedral over MCcaffrey in situations where a win isn't at stake. Just my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

I thought I had read coaches want to RS McCaffrey. Honestly for me that might mean not playing him in garbage time just in case he is needed for some real backup action. Seems @MyBloodIsRed16 might end up being right in McCaffrey being the true #2 but I think they will play Vedral over MCcaffrey in situations where a win isn't at stake. Just my 2 cents.

I think the coaches want to redshirt McCaffrey to get an extra year of eligibility between him and Martinez.  That doesn't mean McCaffrey won't play, but the coaching staff will limit it to 4 games, and go with Vedral as the "competent backup".  That plan would be thrown out the window if Martinez were to miss significant time and the coaching staff feels like McCaffrey would be the best choice at QB to win those games while Martinez is out.

• Plus1 5
36 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The QB situation is different now so it might not matter, but they player Vedral last year instead if Bunch once he was available and that was a redshirt year. That’s the only indicator I have that they might trade them, but I get your point that they might want to save the games for later.

54 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the coaches want to redshirt McCaffrey to get an extra year of eligibility between him and Martinez.  That doesn't mean McCaffrey won't play, but the coaching staff will limit it to 4 games, and go with Vedral as the "competent backup".  That plan would be thrown out the window if Martinez were to miss significant time and the coaching staff feels like McCaffrey would be the best choice at QB to win those games while Martinez is out.

Of course they will want McCaffrey to utilize the 4 game rule, but my question is if they think he is the legitimate backup if they will be more picky about the 4 games they use him in. Maybe try and save him for big situations ala Tua pinch hitting in the NC game even though that was before the rule.

Not saying our offense will need a spark other than Adrian, our situation would more likely be an injury.

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Of course they will want McCaffrey to utilize the 4 game rule, but my question is if they think he is the legitimate backup if they will be more picky about the 4 games they use him in. Maybe try and save him for big situations ala Tua pinch hitting in the NC game even though that was before the rule.

I thought I had brought this up before.  Even tho McCaffery is the better of the backups it will all depend on AM's health and the team's record.  If Am goes down for the season at mid way and the team is undefeated I think you throw caution to the wind and burn Mc's redshirt.  But if there have been a few losses already you probably just play him in the last 4 games if there is an opportunity.  I'm sure they have probably worked out the situation where they would have to burn it.  

55 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I can picture several different QB scenarios. It is great to have the flexibility of the 4 year rule. Even with AM's injury last year, backup QBs only appeared in 6 games (Bunch in 5, one for Vedral). Hopefully we have more situations this year where the backups can get in some mop-up duty, but even so, I don't know how picky the coaches will need to actually be about getting the backups playing time - enter them in when they have an opportunity, and limit McCaffrey to 4, if he even approaches that many.

Should McCaffrey need to play more than that due to an injury to AM, well, McCaffrey can play 4 games in 2020 and redshirt that season, assuming AM is healthy and still here (and a very deep QB bench that season as well).

What would be strange is if AM has a season ending injury (knock on wood) and only plays 4 games or less, and then next year AM and McCaffrey have the same class standing with Smothers only a year behind them.

10 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I can picture several different QB scenarios. It is great to have the flexibility of the 4 year rule. Even with AM's injury last year, backup QBs only appeared in 6 games (Bunch in 5, one for Vedral). Hopefully we have more situations this year where the backups can get in some mop-up duty, but even so, I don't know how picky the coaches will need to actually be about getting the backups playing time - enter them in when they have an opportunity, and limit McCaffrey to 4, if he even approaches that many.

Should McCaffrey need to play more than that due to an injury to AM, well, McCaffrey can play 4 games in 2020 and redshirt that season, assuming AM is healthy and still here (and a very deep QB bench that season as well).

What would be strange is if AM has a season ending injury (knock on wood) and only plays 4 games or less, and then next year AM and McCaffrey have the same class standing with Smothers only a year behind them.

He can't go pro until after the 2020 season. 

11 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He can't go pro until after the 2020 season. 

Yes that's right, but when I said assuming her is still here, in the back of my mind I was actually thinking about the inevitability of transfers once we have a deep bench of talented QBs. We all love Martinez, but if he goes down and McCaffrey manages to outshine him (a Hurts/Tua situation, perhaps), who knows what will happen. I think we all need to face the reality that the combination of Martinez/McCaffrey/Smothers are unlikely to all 3 serve out the entirety of their eligibility at NU. But as long as Frost and Verduzco keep bringing in and developing talent, and we get everyone ready as appropriate, we will be fine in the long run. There are tons of possible scenarios with QBs over the next few years.

58 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Yes that's right, but when I said assuming her is still here, in the back of my mind I was actually thinking about the inevitability of transfers once we have a deep bench of talented QBs. We all love Martinez, but if he goes down and McCaffrey manages to outshine him (a Hurts/Tua situation, perhaps), who knows what will happen. I think we all need to face the reality that the combination of Martinez/McCaffrey/Smothers are unlikely to all 3 serve out the entirety of their eligibility at NU. But as long as Frost and Verduzco keep bringing in and developing talent, and we get everyone ready as appropriate, we will be fine in the long run. There are tons of possible scenarios with QBs over the next few years.

I hear ya.  Good teams with depth will always have those issues.  Since Martinez is the first up, I think barring injury he is the guy as long as he wants.  After that we shall see like you said.

I am liking what I am hearing from Mario on McCaffrey's early progress. A redshirt year makes him a sophomore if Adrian leaves after 2020.

It's almost impossible to maintain a stable of Starter, Back-Up, and Next In Line QBs without someone burning eligibility or chafing on the bench or never getting his shot. But if Nebraska looks like a good place to be a quarterback, we will have a backlog of promising QBs and a Next Man Up philosophy that might screw up redshirts but win more games.

Not a bad problem to have.  

• Plus1 1