Verduzco on Quarterbacks

I would love to turn into Ohio States issue of starting QB got hurt in preseason so the backup is great and starts all year, but at the end he gets hurt and third stringer just plays lights out and wins us a national title. The next year, you’re looking at should be starter (talent), dedicated starter from the previous year, and national title winner all wanting to play. Those are the problems I dream of at Nebraska.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Or adjust for the help the got from their own coaches.

Or lack thereof. Never understood why, for the most important position on the team, you wouldn't have an actual, dedicated QB coach. It's one thing to have your OC also coaching WRs or something, but I would think QBs would be first in line for a dedicated position coach.

11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Has someone done an analysis that shows it helps? Because a quarterback improving from one season to another doesn't show that.

Amen...

For every Trevor Lawrence they work with...they work with 100 other dudes that you have never heard of and never will hear of...they work with tons of HS kids that will never earn a scholarship or even play in college and they work with a lot of 6th and 7th graders that will never start for their HS team.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Toe said:

Or lack thereof. Never understood why, for the most important position on the team, you wouldn't have an actual, dedicated QB coach. It's one thing to have your OC also coaching WRs or something, but I would think QBs would be first in line for a dedicated position coach.

What are you considering a "dedicated QB coach"?  QB Coach is his only job responsibility or does OC/QB coach count?

I would say we're probably in a fairly small minority right now with one guy who is solely the QB coach.  There just are enough spots to go around to have one unless you have some special situation (like we do now where Frost is really the OC).  

On 8/8/2019 at 8:58 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the coaches want to redshirt McCaffrey to get an extra year of eligibility between him and Martinez.  That doesn't mean McCaffrey won't play, but the coaching staff will limit it to 4 games, and go with Vedral as the "competent backup".  That plan would be thrown out the window if Martinez were to miss significant time and the coaching staff feels like McCaffrey would be the best choice at QB to win those games while Martinez is out.

I wonder if they don't want to NOT redshirt him to give a year (or two) between he and Logan Smothers

For a team that is low on depth and is projected to continue to improve over the next half dozen years - Redshirting should be a last resort.  If the freshman is good enough to be #2 - YOU DO NOT REDSHIRT HIM.  SF and staff have went on record on several occasions stating that the recruiting goal is to out recruit the previous class to promote competition.

1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

If the freshman is good enough to be #2 - YOU DO NOT REDSHIRT HIM.  

A #2 QB will redshirt simply due to lack of playing opportunities in all but long term injury scenarios or where a coach has decided to go with a 2 QB system due to the 4 game rule.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, brophog said:

A #2 QB will redshirt simply due to lack of playing opportunities in all but long term injury scenarios or where a coach has decided to go with a 2 QB system due to the 4 game rule.

Your right with the QB position the opportunities can be limited - just think if the opportunities occur it is best to go with him and burn the RS if he is truly the #2 guy. 4 game rule really is nice even more so for QB's

35 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Your right with the QB position the opportunities can be limited - just think if the opportunities occur it is best to go with him and burn the RS if he is truly the #2 guy. 4 game rule really is nice even more so for QB's

If McCaffrey is head and shoulders the #2 guy then yeah, they should play him and not worry about the redshirt. But, if there isn’t a huge separation between Vedral and McCaffrey, then I would lean towards Vedral being the #2 guy and trying to preserve McCaffrey’s redshirt. I agree that you shouldn’t worry about burning guys’ redshirt because you should be able to recruit replacements, but QB is a little different, especially since Martinez is the entrenched starter. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If McCaffrey is head and shoulders the #2 guy then yeah, they should play him and not worry about the redshirt. But, if there isn’t a huge separation between Vedral and McCaffrey, then I would lean towards Vedral being the #2 guy and trying to preserve McCaffrey’s redshirt. I agree that you shouldn’t worry about burning guys’ redshirt because you should be able to recruit replacements, but QB is a little different, especially since Martinez is the entrenched starter. 

I'm with you and the fact that the culture at NU is good helps- just always worry about young kids that like to live in the "now" not going 100% in the growth because they know that they are one more year away.  Again with different staff I would be more concerned - SF and company will make it easier for me to sleep tonight....

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

For a team that is low on depth and is projected to continue to improve over the next half dozen years - Redshirting should be a last resort.  If the freshman is good enough to be #2 - YOU DO NOT REDSHIRT HIM.  SF and staff have went on record on several occasions stating that the recruiting goal is to out recruit the previous class to promote competition.

You absolutely do.  The only way McCaffrey doesn't redshirt is if Martinez gets hurt.

Burning his redshirt would be stupid unless something bad happens (I'm tired of people talking about the bad thing so I'm not going to say it). If the bad thing happens and it's early in the season, and McCaffrey is the clear #2, you burn his redshirt. If he's barely #2, you don't. In no other circumstances* should his redshirt be burned. If he's the clear #2 and the bad thing doesn't happen, you don't burn it because you don't need to. He's just the back up, and you have up to 4 games to get him experience. That's 4 more games than he would've gotten to play in with previous rules. It's plenty. If we manage to blow out 5 teams, you don't waste it just to get him 10 more minutes of game experience.

*Except if we're in a conference championship game or the playoffs

I happen to think McCaffrey will be the clear #2 at some point this fall, and he'll still redshirt. Next year he'll be the #2, and if Martinez kicks a$$ enough and leaves early, we'll have a 3 way battle between McCaffrey, Smothers, and 2021 guy in 2021.

• Plus1 1