Driverless cars.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

And people have heart attacks, strokes, siezures, etc. It's not about attaining no risk, it's about reducing risk and autonomous vehicles can do that.

Exactly. People can what if this and what if that all day but the fact of the matter is self drving cars are safer period.

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

My car's a 2003. I can still parallel park all by myself and use my rearview mirror. I haven't even run 1 person over yet.

6000 pedestrians were killed by drivers last year alone. Its nice you are a good driver, but alot of people aren't.

20 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

And?

16 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

6000 pedestrians were killed by drivers last year alone. Its nice you are a good driver, but alot of people aren't.

Not everything has to be serious all the time, guys. Or even have a point.

Edited by Moiraine

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is an assumption or theory.  No way do we have enough data to prove that yet.

I'd agree we don't have enough data to make a strong conclusion yet, but the data that we do have shows autonomous vehicles are safer than human drivers (at least safer than the average human driver). It's just a matter of time of when enough autonomous vehicles have been on the roads for enough miles to draw stronger conclusions.

• Plus1 1

i believe they will be safer overall...but i also think there will be huge problems on a scale that we cant imagine if something does go wrong.  and knowing technology...something always goes wrong eventually.  i can only hope that when things go wrong it isn't a disaster event crashing cars all over the place at once.   i hope that safety protocols will shut the cars down and we are just stuck somewhere going wtf happened rather than screaming as we hurdle to our deaths.  lol

5 hours ago, commando said:

i believe they will be safer overall...but i also think there will be huge problems on a scale that we cant imagine if something does go wrong.  and knowing technology...something always goes wrong eventually.  i can only hope that when things go wrong it isn't a disaster event crashing cars all over the place at once.   i hope that safety protocols will shut the cars down and we are just stuck somewhere going wtf happened rather than screaming as we hurdle to our deaths.  lol

I'm sure there will be a few catastrophic failures, but it'll similar to if your brakes went out or a wheel came off a car with a human driver - catastrophic but extremely rare.

EDIT: Also, the computers used for things like aircraft and cars are much, MUCH more reliable than the ones consumers use.

Edited by RedDenver
6 hours ago, commando said:

it's a good thing computers never get any glitches in them.   never any blue screen shutdowns, bugs, hacked into, or otherwise compromised with any another problems.

Computers, with glitches accounted for, are much more reliable than human beings.

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is an assumption or theory.  No way do we have enough data to prove that yet.

It's not a comprehensive conclusion yet, but the data we do have thus far points overwhelmingly to autonomous vehicles being overwhelmingly safe. Tens of millions of miles driven by self-driving cars, and so far, one single fatality. That's bad data, though, as there is a huge swath of 'unsafe' that doesn't result in fatalities, and that's only a single data point. In Google's ~4 million miles driven by self-driving cars, they've been in less than 20 minor fender-benders, none of them the fault of the self-driving car.

The jury is out, kinda, but the writing is also on the wall.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Landlord said:

It's not a comprehensive conclusion yet, but the data we do have thus far points overwhelmingly to autonomous vehicles being overwhelmingly safe. Tens of millions of miles driven by self-driving cars, and so far, one single fatality. That's bad data, though, as there is a huge swath of 'unsafe' that doesn't result in fatalities, and that's only a single data point. In Google's ~4 million miles driven by self-driving cars, they've been in less than 20 minor fender-benders, none of them the fault of the self-driving car.

The jury is out, kinda, but the writing is also on the wall.

It looks like this is going to become a thing no matter if I think it's will work or not.

I just hope a disaster doesn't happen in the mean time while "working out the kinks".

As much as I fear artificial intelligence and man-kind's reliance on computers, I think autonomous/driver-less cars are a good idea, and should be continued to be developed.  Humans aren't good drivers, and the statistics show it.  I think with sophisticated, autonomous cars, there will be fewer accidents, less traffic, and riding in cars will be safer overall.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I just hope a disaster doesn't happen in the mean time while "working out the kinks".

I mean you do realize that google/uber/etc. have had their self-driving cars on normal driving roads, sharing the space with human-operated cars, for years now, right? 

If there was a time to be worried about that, it was in 2014. The system isn't perfect, but it's only going in the direction of being better and safer. 

Just now, Landlord said:

I mean you do realize that google/uber/etc. have had their self-driving cars on normal driving roads, sharing the space with human-operated cars, for years now, right? 

If there was a time to be worried about that, it was in 2014. The system isn't perfect, but it's only going in the direction of being better and safer. 

Like I said, it's going to happen no matter what my attitude is.  So, I'm perfectly fine being skeptical.  

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It looks like this is going to become a thing no matter if I think it's will work or not.

I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or worse but commercial passenger aircraft have had autopilots that can automated everything but taxiing since the late 1970's. You've flown most of your miles (including takeoff and landing) under autopilot control.

Edited by RedDenver
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or worse but commercial passenger aircraft have had autopilots that can automated everything but taxiing since the late 1970's. You've flown most of your miles (including takeoff and landing) under autopilot control.

My family has a very...interesting...history in aviation.  I'm well aware of that.  I do find flying a plane in a wide open air much different than driving a car or semi in heavy traffic.