Huskers looking to add grad transfer at QB?

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You don’t think Vedral’s experience of being in Frost’s offense for a season, seeing it played in games last year, and leading that offense in a number of games last year is valuable?  To me, if Vedral were eligible for 2018, that would mean a lot in a competition against the other 3 NU QB’s who haven’t played in Frost’s system yet. 

I don’t think he’s taken enough snaps in games that would make me change my mind

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

We can drop it but I just want to make sure I understand.  

You dont think hes he’s in a 2 horse race at OSU and would be in a 3-4 horse race at Nebraska to be a starter?

Burrow is in a 4 horse race at Ohio State as well, it just so happens that 3 of the 4 horses are named Dwayne Haskins.

I really don't understand the opposition to Burrow.  Assuming Vedral doesn't receive a waiver, our current QB group is a redshirt freshman that was recruited for a different offense, a true freshman that didn't play his senior year of high school, and a walk-on that didn't receive any major offers out of high school or juco.  Burrow has ties to Nebraska and appears to be holding his own in a tough QB competition at an elite program.  If Frost believes Burrow is a good fit and provides a potential upgrade to our QB group and Burrow is willing to come in and compete for the job, than I think he'd be a good addition.

• Plus1 1

There are a lot of high level optics to consider with this situation if Frost and Co. are actually interested, as well.

There's no beating around the bush that a grad transfer player will be seen as someone the coaches expect to start, and said grad transfer would have to spend the whole summer learning a playbook without any of Verduzco's help while simultaneously attempting to gain the respect/trust of the teammates he didn't go through a pretty tough spring with. It would also have an impact on the general makeup of the QB room which means, statistically speaking, either Gebbia or Martinez would likely transfer at some point if a grad transfer like Burrow took the starting job and didn't let go for two years.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

We can drop it but I just want to make sure I understand.  

You dont think hes he’s in a 2 horse race at OSU and would be in a 3-4 horse race at Nebraska to be a starter?

I still want to drop it. I think the horses are better at OSU, at least for this season. 

1. Burrow

2. Haskins

3. Gebbia

4. Martell

5. Bunch/AMart/Baldwin

My opinion, and you're going to disagree and this will continue going nowhere. 

Edited by Warrior10
  • Plus1 1

This thread is cringe worthy. We don't even know who Urban will announce as the starter, let alone if Frost even wants to bring in a grad transfer. Frost is really smart and knows what he is doing. None of us know how well the QB's are picking things up and are able to execute the offense. There is a chance Frost is ready to roll with what he has on the roster and go with 2 QB's out of high school for this cycle. 

If I put money on the table for what Frost will do, he will bring in 2 high school QB's. 

Edited by alohaah
  • Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, alohaah said:

This thread is cringe worthy. We don't even know who Urban will announce as the starter, let alone if Frost even wants to bring in a grad transfer. Frost is really smart and knows what he is doing. None of us know how well the QB's are picking things up and are able to execute the offense. There is a chance Frost is ready to roll with what he has on the roster and go with 2 QB's out of high school for this cycle. 

If I put money on the table for what Frost will do, he will bring in 2 high school QB's.

We're talking about adding grad transfers. If he doesn't do that, we can probably all agree he'll bring in 2 high school QBs. This is a hypothetical conversation about a potential legacy player.

Edited by Moiraine
3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I’d argue at Ohio St he has a 50% chance of being the starter.  At Nebraska he would have a 25%.  Seems he should be more confident where he is

LMAO. This is truly hilarious. So in your reality, our QB’s are better than tOSU’s right now? Lol. Man, you should do stand up!

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

LMAO. This is truly hilarious. So in your reality, our QB’s are better than tOSU’s right now? Lol. Man, you should do stand up!

True that!  Probably has a 33% chance to start for that Patriots next year. its just math guys.  I might try to make an  NFL roster this year.  

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Even if Vedral gets a waiver it doesn’t mean anything to me.  He played sparingly against teams in the AAC.  He, in my opinion, has no more advantage than the other QB’s.

He could be the greatest Nebraska QB ever.  No one knows.  His experience at UCF doesn’t make me lean either way.  Now if he had come in and started due to Milton being injured and had more games behind him, I might have a different opinion.

Wasn't really referring to game experience - as you stated he doesn't have much and even less when it mattered.  I'm thinking he just has a leg up of hours spent with the staff.  Doesn't mean his boat is any faster or better - just that he has a different perspective then the others.  It's just nice to have some options that could pan out nicely.

50 minutes ago, alohaah said:

Man you are way to logical for this thread and many others - Thxs for the solid insight over the past several days.

7 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

What?  My reality is that a guy that has sat the bench at Ohio St and has done virtually nothing in his career has shown nothing to prove he is better than the QB’s the Huskers have.  How is that difficult to understand?

Im not saying he’s isn’t.  I’m not saying our guys are better.  I’m saying there is nothing he’s done other than garbage time minutes that could make people believe he’s better.  

Husker fans need to just pump the brakes on this guy.  I know he has Nebraska ties and people are still smarting that Bo went for him in a last ditch effort but that doesn’t mean he’d immediately be the best QB in the room.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Wasn't really referring to game experience - as you stated he doesn't have much and even less when it mattered.  I'm thinking he just has a leg up of hours spent with the staff.  Doesn't mean his boat is any faster or better - just that he has a different perspective then the others.  It's just nice to have some options that could pan out nicely.

Vedrals experience in this offense is very helpful.  No question.  The point I’m trying to get at was he didn’t instantly become a major P5 QB just because he played in a few games at UCF.  We should just be cautiously optimistic about him and be happy if we have more depth at that position 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, swmohusker said:

True that!  Probably has a 33% chance to start for that Patriots next year. its just math guys.  I might try to make an  NFL roster this year.  

Burrow is battling Haskins to be the starter.  No one else is in the race.  That’s a 50% chance.

IF Burrow were to transfer to Nebraska, he would be competing, as it is right now, against 3 other QB’s to be starter.  That’s a 25% chance. 

I dont get why this is a difficult concept for some of you.