Huskers looking to add grad transfer at QB?

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Vedrals experience in this offense is very helpful.  No question.  The point I’m trying to get at was he didn’t instantly become a major P5 QB just because he played in a few games at UCF.  We should just be cautiously optimistic about him and be happy if we have more depth at that position 

Agree 100% - glad to see the competition.

I think it is a fair assessment to make that Ohio State has better players than Nebraska.  It is also a fair assumption to believe that Ohio State has more talented players at the QB position for an offense that is very similar to what we will be running now at Nebraska.  If the competition is close between two players to be the starting QB at Ohio State, and the player that winds up in second place is eligible immediately with two years to play, then they are probably better suited compared to the current QBs here already to be a starter at Nebraska who has no players with experience in an offense of this type eligible right now.

However, I could also complete be on board if the coaching staff decides they like what they have for the future and do not bring him on board as I am sure that Burrow would be looking for a 2 year starter opportunity.  I don't see Frost making a deal like that before he even sees the kid practice.

Edited by In the Deed the Glory
  • Plus1 2
3 hours ago, alohaah said:

Sir,, the competition he is up against at OSU to be the starter is tougher than here right now. That may not be the case in a couple of years as Frost builds his own roster, but as of today it is harder to be the starter at OSU. Let's keep it real. 

I don't know.  I'm not ready to anoint Haskins as some great QB just yet (or Tua from Alabama for that matter) based off of results from playing part of a game.  I've seen that scene play out way too many times where the backup QB with a different skill set looks like the second coming because the defense doesn't know how to react and gets "brain freeze" because they game planned to handle the starting QB and his weaknesses.  I'll let them start for a season first before I see how they rate.

Also, right now it appears that the QB room has great chemistry.  I don't know if you want to take the risk of messing that up by bringing in a grad transfer.

1 minute ago, yort2000 said:

I don't know.  I'm not ready to anoint Haskins as some great QB just yet (or Tua from Alabama for that matter) based off of results from playing part of a game.  I've seen that scene play out way too many times where the backup QB with a different skill set looks like the second coming because the defense doesn't know how to react and gets "brain freeze" because they game planned to handle the starting QB and his weaknesses.  I'll let them start for a season first before I see how they rate.

Also, right now it appears that the QB room has great chemistry.  I don't know if you want to take the risk of messing that up by bringing in a grad transfer.

This. And the reason why you will not see Frost name a starter is that he will want the players to come to him to say they want x starting. Player driven. 

• 3 weeks later...