The Murphinator

QB Luke McCaffrey [Nebraska Commit]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Player: Luke McCaffrey

Hometown: Littleton, Colorado

School: Valor Christian

Position: Quarterback, Athlete

Height: 6-3

Weight: 185

40 Time: 4.64

Offers: Colorado, Colorado State, Michigan, Duke, Ohio State, Virginia, Ole Miss, Washington, Western Kentucky, Nebraska

Visits: 4/7/18 - Junior Day; 9/8/18 vs. Colorado

Twitter

247 Composite: #262 Overall; #11 ATH; .9069; :star:star:star:star

Rivals: #38 ATH; :star:star:star
247: #24 ATH; :star:star:star
ESPN: #142 Overall; #5 QB-DT; :star:star:star:star

Hudl

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Isn't this the 3rd McCaffrey to come out of Valor Christian? Did the first two both go to Stanford?

One went to Stanford.  One is at Michigan

• Plus1 3

Just from initial watch of his film, doesn't look like he has a ton of arm strength. Good runner, though. 

23 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Just from initial watch of his film, doesn't look like he has a ton of arm strength. Good runner, though. 

Sounds like he is more athlete than QB right now.

This is sort of what I posted about in the Duggan thread. If he sticks at QB great, otherwise he'd be a good fit at another position.

2 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

This is sort of what I posted about in the Duggan thread. If he sticks at QB great, otherwise he'd be a good fit at another position.

Can he catch?  Maybe he could take after his dad.  He was a decent WR.

Edit: Just looked at his stats.

Sophomore: 5 of 7 passing for 63 yards, 23 carries for 245 yards and 2 TD's, 47 receptions for 717 yards and 9 TD's

Junior: 54 of 71 for 878 yards and 6 TD's 3 INT's, 80 carries for 548 yards and 9 TD's, 19 receptions for 147 yards and 1 TD

He also had 525 KR yards between the 2 years.  I'd say he could probably play WR if necessary.

Edited by HS_Coach_C
  • Plus1 1

2 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Duggan isn't anywhere near the athlete...

7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Duggan isn't anywhere near the athlete...

Ugh. you just aren't following along.

McCAFFREY IS THE ATHLETE.

Duggan would be the pure QB.

I posed the question in Duggan thread about whether or not we thought we would maybe take a for sure QB and then another guy who could switch positions if needed.

6 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

I posed the question in Duggan thread about whether or not we thought we would maybe take a for sure QB and then another guy who could switch positions if needed.

Imo, yes. We will try to take 1 pure QB and 1 ath/QB. 

8 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

deep breath, what you said could be interpreted as duggan could be switched to wr, mainly because you said you posted it in duggan's thread. i mean who really discusses other recruits in another recruit's thread.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, desertshox said:

deep breath, what you said could be interpreted as duggan could be switched to wr, mainly because you said you posted it in duggan's thread. i mean who really discusses other recruits in another recruit's thread.

Me. All the time. 

Haven't had a chance to compare but is there any noticeable difference in ability between a kid like this and Duggan? 

3 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Haven't had a chance to compare but is there any noticeable difference in ability between a kid like this and Duggan? 

McCaffrey is more of an athlete than Duggan. Duggan is the better QB prospect, but we would give McCaffrey a shot at QB, and move him to WR if it doesn't work out.

10 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

McCaffrey is more of an athlete than Duggan. Duggan is the better QB prospect, but we would give McCaffrey a shot at QB, and move him to WR if it doesn't work out.

To expound a bit, Duggan has the better arm, McCaffery has the better legs. 

I do think McCaffery is the better fit for Frost's offense, though, and his arm can be improved more than Duggan's legs can. 

Edited by Cdog923

5 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

And how do you know this?

4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Seems pretty obvious. Don't think McCaffery is our top QB on the board.  Playing it like we did with Tago except this time he should end up with us.

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I am just stating that McCaffrey could be switched to another position if QB doesn't work out. I am not saying McCaffrey won't be a good QB, it is just that Duggan is the better overall QB prospect. I would love to have either of these prospects, and I believe both will have successful collegiate careers.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

I am just stating that McCaffrey could be switched to another position if QB doesn't work out. I am not saying McCaffrey won't be a good QB, it is just that Duggan is the better overall QB prospect. I would love to have either of these prospects, and I believe both will have successful collegiate careers.

What I am asking is how do you know the coaches are interested in your scenario?

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Seems pretty obvious. Don't think McCaffery is our top QB on the board.  Playing it like we did with Tago except this time he should end up with us.

It isn't obvious.  Just because he liked his visit doesn't mean he's going to be willing to switch from QB to WR.

The kid has offers from Michigan, UCLA, Washington, Ohio St....to play QB

12 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It isn't obvious.  Just because he liked his visit doesn't mean he's going to be willing to switch from QB to WR.

The kid has offers from Michigan, UCLA, Washington, Ohio St....to play QB

I don't think these schools offered him a scholarship at QB. I believe they offered him as an athlete.

Edited by The Murphinator
  • Plus1 1

The word is McCaffrey hasn't played much QB due to couple P5 upperclassmen ahead of him up to this point. He really wants to play QB in college, but understands he needs a lot of developing. This is where we are the perfect set up, he'd come in and be behind Martinez, Vedral and likely Gebbia or O'Brien. Most kids would be turned off by this, however it sounds McCaffrey wants a couple years to develop. He also loves Frost and Mario. 

Most/all other offers are at ATH. Ours is truely at QB and he likes that. 

• Plus1 3

33 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I don't think he's as far from the top as you think. He got the treatment this weekend. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I don't think he's as far from the top as you think. He got the treatment this weekend. 

Yep. With Vedral(would start this year if eligible) and Martinez(Hand picked by Verdu/Frost), McCaffery would have ample time to develop and be game ready in the system.

18 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

The word is McCaffrey hasn't played much QB due to couple P5 upperclassmen ahead of him up to this point. He really wants to play QB in college, but understands he needs a lot of developing. This is where we are the perfect set up, he'd come in and be behind Martinez, Vedral and likely Gebbia or O'Brien. Most kids would be turned off by this, however it sounds McCaffrey wants a couple years to develop. He also loves Frost and Mario. 

Most/all other offers are at ATH. Ours is truely at QB and he likes that. 

Where is "the word" coming from?

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Where is "the word" coming from?

247, who had a direct convo with him post- visit. There are quotes that are more telling, but it's premium and ya. 

• Plus1 5

7 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

What I am asking is how do you know the coaches are interested in your scenario?

Goodness, are we serious here?

• Plus1 5

32 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Goodness, are we serious here?

I am very serious.  I’d like to know how some of these people on here know what the coaches think about a specific player and how they would know an intimate detail of recruiting like who they like better as a QB and why, etc

43 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I am very serious.  I’d like to know how some of these people on here know what the coaches think about a specific player and how they would know an intimate detail of recruiting like who they like better as a QB and why, etc

Not sure you can handle the details

• Plus1 5

48 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think most of us are doing these things:

1) Reading tons of Husker information, which mostly includes direct quotes from coaches and in this case, comments from Coach Frost and Verdu.

2) Reading excerpts from recruits who have spoken with Frost and Verdu and relayed what they have said to him, to 247, Rivals, etc.

3) Looking back to last year and the Tago situation, realizing that we were going to take him as a QB to give him a chance and then move him if he couldn’t hack it, up until they didn’t have room for him anymore. (That’s insider info in case you didn’t know)

Then, people are piecing all of these thoughts together to figure out exactly what they all mean. Most of us have come to the conclusion that Frost lwants 2 QB’s in this class. 1 that is a sure fire QB and one that is raw with some freak athletic ability and a crazy high upside at the position, and if it doesn’t work out, can play another position. (Another great dynamic of being back to a DT QB offense I might add, considering Pro Passer QB’s usually wouldn’t play another position)

Could we be wrong? Yes. It seems like this is where we are headed though in this class.

• Plus1 7

26 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

I think most of us are doing these things:

1) Reading tons of Husker information, which mostly includes direct quotes from coaches and in this case, comments from Coach Frost and Verdu.

2) Reading excerpts from recruits who have spoken with Frost and Verdu and relayed what they have said to him, to 247, Rivals, etc.

3) Looking back to last year and the Tago situation, realizing that we were going to take him as a QB to give him a chance and then move him if he couldn’t hack it, up until they didn’t have room for him anymore. (That’s insider info in case you didn’t know)

Then, people are piecing all of these thoughts together to figure out exactly what they all mean. Most of us have come to the conclusion that Frost lwants 2 QB’s in this class. 1 that is a sure fire QB and one that is raw with some freak athletic ability and a crazy high upside at the position, and if it doesn’t work out, can play another position. (Another great dynamic of being back to a DT QB offense I might add, considering Pro Passer QB’s usually wouldn’t play another position)

Could we be wrong? Yes. It seems like this is where we are headed though in this class.

The coaches have specifically commented on these 2 players and have said who they like better and why?  I doubt that.  Because it would be a violation.

8 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Good to see StPaul taking a page out of Landlords book.

I just find it strange that this coaching staff is barely letting media members watch a spring practice yet so many people on here post comments like they are somehow in the know about what they are thinking with a recruit.  This isn’t necessarily specific to this player.  

So I’m curious where they get this info from such a secretive staff.  

sue me

29 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The coaches have specifically commented on these 2 players and have said who they like better and why?  I doubt that.  Because it would be a violation.

damn probation here we come - Can't wait to go to the ole miss boards and hear how dirty NU is....

9 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

damn probation here we come - Can't wait to go to the ole miss boards and hear how dirty NU is....

If you’d like to troll, do it somewhere else.  

Is it really that big of a stretch to say that a guy who has more rushing attempts and catches than passing attempts is not a very polished qb prospect and is probably being looked at as more of an athlete? 

• Plus1 3

40 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Is it really that big of a stretch to say that a guy who has more rushing attempts and catches than passing attempts is not a very polished qb prospect and is probably being looked at as more of an athlete? 

Is he even the starting QB on is HS team? Thought I heard otherwise.

1 minute ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Is he even the starting QB on is HS team? Thought I heard otherwise.

He hasn't been, due in large part to Valor Christian's last two QBs also being D1 guys.  Older brother Dylan (four-star) signed with Michigan two years ago and Blake Stenstrom (mid-three-star) signed with Colorado last year.

• Plus1 1