QB Luke McCaffrey [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

38 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will McCaffrey Commit?

• Nebraska
    • Michigan
    • Ohio State
    • Stanford

This poll is closed to new votes

I am sure McCaffrey will have the bulk of his training and development at QB.  However, if he's talented and athletic enough to make a difference on the field, I don't see anything wrong with getting him on the field in another position.  As long as he doesn't get hurt, I don't see how it would harm his development at QB.  McCaffrey also may be the type of guy who wants to get on the field and help the team.

20 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am sure McCaffrey will have the bulk of his training and development at QB.  However, if he's talented and athletic enough to make a difference on the field, I don't see anything wrong with getting him on the field in another position.  As long as he doesn't get hurt, I don't see how it would harm his development at QB.  McCaffrey also may be the type of guy who wants to get on the field and help the team.

Practice reps, mainly. Working at other positions takes away from his development at the QB position, both in terms of basic development and development within the offense. 

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Practice reps, mainly. Working at other positions takes away from his development at the QB position, both in terms of basic development and development within the offense. 

He can get his allotted reps at QB, but also work in at WR for a package of plays each week.  I am not saying to put him solely at WR, but backup QB's, especially #3 and #4 aren't getting a ton of reps during practice once the season starts.  Plus, getting reps at WR could benefit him learning the offense, as he will see the offense from a different point of view.

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He can get his allotted reps at QB, but also work in at WR for a package of plays each week.  I am not saying to put him solely at WR, but backup QB's, especially #3 and #4 aren't getting a ton of reps during practice once the season starts.  Plus, getting reps at WR could benefit him learning the offense, as he will see the offense from a different point of view.

I agree with this, this is all so 'hypothetical Tuesday', but if he's a good enough athlete to contribute as a WR and isn't the starting QB they should get him on the field.  Ryan Tannehill showed it can work.

• Plus1 1
Just now, FrankWheeler said:

I agree with this, this is all so 'hypothetical Tuesday', but if he's a good enough athlete to contribute as a WR and isn't the starting QB they should get him on the field.  Ryan Tannehill showed it can work.

The basic question is would you rather have McCaffrey running the scout team offense as QB in 2019, or would you rather have him getting 10-15 snaps a game at WR?  I know my answer.

33 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The basic question is would you rather have McCaffrey running the scout team offense as QB in 2019, or would you rather have him getting 10-15 snaps a game at WR?  I know my answer.

That depends on where he is on the depth chart.  If he can beat out Bunch fairly quickly, you'd have Martinez/Vedral/McCaffrey running our offense and Bunch/Masker running the scout teams.

I would be pretty surprised if McCaffrey gets moved right away.  We backed off recruiting some other guys so he would be our QB in this class.  He definitely needs some development as he hasn't played as much QB as a lot of guys when they come out of high school.  But that's kind of a perfect fit for us as we can afford to let him develop behind an established started.

I wouldn't think they'd look to move him at least until there is another QB who comes later and that guy beats him out.  If even then.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That depends on where he is on the depth chart.  If he can beat out Bunch fairly quickly, you'd have Martinez/Vedral/McCaffrey running our offense and Bunch/Masker running the scout teams.

I would be pretty surprised if McCaffrey gets moved right away.  We backed off recruiting some other guys so he would be our QB in this class.  He definitely needs some development as he hasn't played as much QB as a lot of guys when they come out of high school.  But that's kind of a perfect fit for us as we can afford to let him develop behind an established started.

I wouldn't think they'd look to move him at least until there is another QB who comes later and that guy beats him out.  If even then.

Fair enough, he may not be running the scout team, but even at 3rd string, McCaffrey wouldn't be getting a ton of reps at QB once the season starts.  I think it would be reasonable to get McCaffrey a package of plays he could run at WR.  Of course, that's dependent on all of the other talent at the WR position, but it's not a stretch that McCaffrey could see some time at WR.

44 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Fair enough, he may not be running the scout team, but even at 3rd string, McCaffrey wouldn't be getting a ton of reps at QB once the season starts.  I think it would be reasonable to get McCaffrey a package of plays he could run at WR.  Of course, that's dependent on all of the other talent at the WR position, but it's not a stretch that McCaffrey could see some time at WR.

I know Frost's story was we were going to have multiple stations going so guys were getting lots of reps - a la Osborne back in the day.  I haven't really heard anything more about that lately but the media doesn't get to watch practice so it's tough to know.  

But for how much they talked about it I would think there would be at least two groups running.  So if they are rotating the 2nd & 3rd string QBs in that second group they should still be getting pretty decent reps.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...