The Murphinator

QB Luke McCaffrey [Nebraska Commit]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, I am I said:

I love pretty close to Valor. I’ll go check him out a few times. Saw him play 3 times last year. 

i hope that isnt self love and you are doing it in the privacy of your own home.

• Plus1 5

1 minute ago, desertshox said:

i hope that isnt self love and you are doing it in the privacy of your own home.

Ha. I “live” close to Valor 

also, none of your business lol. 

On a side note playing devils advocate ....is this kid a jack of all trades master of none, or is just plug and play cuz he’s that good at it all? 

2 minutes ago, I am I said:

Ha. I “live” close to Valor 

also, none of your business lol. 

On a side note playing devils advocate ....is this kid a jack of all trades master of none, or is just plug and play cuz he’s that good at it all? 

Very raw, very high ceiling. Perfect scenario when you have 3 underclassmen that all seem capable like we do. 

Some articles suggesting we've talked to him about redshirting. If you're an athlete looking to be a QB, but lack in experience and mechanics, that's ideal when you have a QB whisperer like we do. Both parties stand to greatly benefit from this commitment.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Absolutely. Maybe we can right that wrong, in a way.

I nearly ended my post with this sentiment, but didn't really want to get ahead of myself.

7 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I nearly ended my post with this sentiment, but didn't really want to get ahead of myself.

Understandable, it seems like a bold claim, but the numbers put up by QBs in this offense are in that realm. To be really unfair, the bar is set so high that those are the expected numbers in this offense!

11 hours ago, I am I said:

I love pretty close to Valor. I’ll go check him out a few times. Saw him play 3 times last year. 

Where else do you love close to? I want to know where to avoid......

• Plus1 2

10 hours ago, obert1 said:

Official visit to help recruit. Love it

Not being a dick; but that visit will probably be unofficial I’d guess. I’m sure Nebraska will want him to OV for a game day when their is a herd of recruits there. JMO though

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, famoustitles said:

Yes

breakingnews.gif

12 hours ago, I am I said:

Hopefully not on school grounds. 

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, brophog said:

Some articles suggesting we've talked to him about redshirting. If you're an athlete looking to be a QB, but lack in experience and mechanics, that's ideal when you have a QB whisperer like we do. Both parties stand to greatly benefit from this commitment.

Would be ideal, both from a development standpoint, and to put space between him and Gebbia/Martinez. 

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, Warrior10 said:

We told him we're only taking 1 this class. He said if they change their mind he doesn't care, he welcomes competition. However, they seemed very set on just 1. 

That surprises me, figured we'd take two but with one(or possibly both) being a qb/athlete that could always change positions. 

23 minutes ago, Danimal said:

That surprises me, figured we'd take two but with one(or possibly both) being a qb/athlete that could always change positions. 

If the coaches are comfortable with what we have and truely believe in Luke I think it would just create an unnecessary log jam. 

We will enter 2019 with 4 scholly QB's that are Soph or younger. 

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

* .... assuming no one else leaves.

It won't shock me in the slightest if Gebbia leaves if he isn't the starter.

• Plus1 2

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That is the most likely scenario in which the QB room reduces. Otherwise, I would think everyone on the roster stays for next season, and we add McCaffrey.

46 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

If the coaches are comfortable with what we have and truely believe in Luke I think it would just create an unnecessary log jam. 

I'm betting that number will be 3. 

45 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I wouldn't blame him at all. 

I agree with Mavric and CDog. But I'm not sure another un-ready TrFr is the answer. It will take time to build the depth we need in that room. 

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I agree with Mavric and CDog. But I'm not sure another un-ready TrFr is the answer. It will take time to build the depth we need in that room. 

Oh, I definitely agree. I could go either way on taking another HS QB in this class.

I just think trying to say anything about QB depth other than what's currently on the roster is a fool's errand.  That's just how CFB is now-a-days.

I'm comfortable with a QB room of 

Martinez

Vedral

Bunch

McCaffrey 

In 2019 if Gebbia transferred because he didnt win the job. If he stays regardless you have a very healthy qb room with Masker also on the roster. 

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Ya, if AM secures the starting spot I think Gebbia is gone either this year or next. 

• Plus1 1

On 6/4/2018 at 3:18 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I can't wait to see all the McCaffrey/McCaffery misspellings over the next few years (myself included).

McCaffrey.jpg.bf3b802f00fcfd28014a78a56bdadabd.jpg

• Plus1 4

Played well but doesn't mean much against Faith Luthern, they are terrible and dont even play highest div here in Vegas(the smallest school in Vegas and dont recruit like Gorman does as a private school).  Had a nice run and a nice td pass last night.

• Plus1 1

Completed 12 of 13 passes for a cool 92% completion rate last week.

"Only" 149 yards so he wasn't exactly chucking it down the field but not too shabby.

• Plus1 1

Got a bump in 247comp rankings. 

That's an impressive highlight tape, much better arm than I anticipated. Very impressed. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty solid QB #2 on day one. And it only took Martinez 3 quarters to go down for a full game this year, so hopefully that gives McCaffrey some encouragement to stick it out. 

8 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

Pretty solid QB #2 on day one. And it only took Martinez 3 quarters to go down for a full game this year, so hopefully that gives McCaffrey some encouragement to stick it out. 

McCaffrey knows the plan is to RS and develop behind AMart, it's actually one of the things he was excited about.

• Plus1 1

Dylan McCaffrey looks good at Michigan, too. He had a nice 44 yd TD run against Wisky after the game was decided. The whole family is just athletic. Hopefully we don't end up with the Cooper Manning of the family.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

I'm not as afraid of Luke transferring, because he can get on the field in a number of ways. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes his career at Nebraska at another position. 

On his recruiter, quarterbacks coach Mario Verduzco: “I don’t have a perfect way of describing him, but I think he looks at the game in a very similar way that I like to look at, just from a technique and strategy standpoint. I think he’s awesome. The perfect amount of crazy, and the perfect amount of enthusiasm and just everything you want in a coach.”

On all the positions he’s played in high school football: “My freshman year I played quarterback on JV and then I was a backup safety on varsity and returned kicks. And then sophomore year, I did a little bit of everything. I played kick return, punt return, receiver, quarterback, running back, safety, cornerback. Last year I was mainly a quarterback, then got in a few plays at receiver, but mostly just for trick plays, and stuff. And I played cornerback and safety a little bit as well. And this year quarterback.”

LJS

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

LJS

It’s fun to think about how they will work with him. I think Year 1 will be all about developing him as a QB so no tinkering and a redshirt with 4 game availability.

After that, it’s anyone guess.

I'm of the mind that if we're going to have him at QB, he needs to be at QB exclusively. 

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm of the mind that if we're going to have him at QB, he needs to be at QB exclusively. 

That’s my guess for year one.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I would agree but wouldn't be surprised to see him get a trick play or two in there at a spot like WR

4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I agree. I think we are bringing in enough athletes and we need to build solid depth behind Martinez. It would benefit McCaffrey the most if his time was focused on being trained as a QB. As well as benefit Nebraska so if in the future Martinez would get hurt- we could have some solid depth.