2018 MLB

10 hours ago, MLB 51 said:

I am not a fan of the additional wild card.

What do you mean by "additional wild card"?  You don't think there should be any wild card at all?

PS....last night sucked.  Cubs had all their chances to put it away and couldn't do it.  Oh well....season over.  Time to move on.

Now I'm wondering how long before they ink the deal with Harper.

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What do you mean by "additional wild card"?  You don't think there should be any wild card at all?

PS....last night sucked.  Cubs had all their chances to put it away and couldn't do it.  Oh well....season over.  Time to move on.

There used to just be one wild card.  They would play the best division winner in a series.

Now they added a second wild card.  Those two teams play each other in one game.  Loser goes home.  Winner gets into the same series that the single wild card used to be in.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I meant the 5th team. I'd prefer to see them go back to a 4 team playoff. 

Major League Baseball Teams Lost $93 Million This Season Because No One Is Going to Games

Major League Baseball attendance dropped 4 percent this year, continuing a steady decline for “America’s Pastime.” It’s the lowest league-wide attendance since 2003 and the largest single-season drop in a decade.

What does that mean for a team’s bottom line? Bloomberg News crunched some numbers to get a better understanding. While some clubs saw a jump in attendance, 17 of the 30 franchises sold fewer tickets than they did last year. Using average ticket prices from Team Marketing Report, that comes to about $93.7 million in lost ticket revenue in 2018.

Teams with the largest drops include the Miami Marlins (down $24.5 million) and the Toronto Blue Jays (down $22.9 million). (The Marlins recently changed the way they report attendance, which could account for part of the decline.) The defending-champion Houston Astros were a big winner, with a projected $23.2 million boost in sales.