2018 MLB

53 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I would be interested in knowing how pitching has changed between different eras.  Meaning, have pitchers developed more effective pitches, harder breaking curve balls, faster fast balls....etc. over time?

In Babe Ruth's era, were there pitchers throwing 100+ MPH?

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would be interested in knowing how pitching has changed between different eras.  Meaning, have pitchers developed more effective pitches, harder breaking curve balls, faster fast balls....etc. over time?

In Babe Ruth's era, were there pitchers throwing 100+ MPH?

Fair questions that I don't know the answer to.

I think there are two things aside from type of pitches and velocity.  First, teams are using a lot more relievers than they used to.  You used to see the same pitcher 3-4 times each game a lot more.  Now it's maybe twice for the starter and then a different reliever each time you come up.  So batters are constantly re-adjusting.  Second, guys aren't trying to hit for average nearly as much as they are trying to hit for power.  More of an upper-cut swing instead of a level swing and trying to drive the ball all the time.  More home runs and more strikeouts.

9 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Back to back no-no's could happen.  When I think of things we won't see again, I think of Cy Young's numbers.  815 games started as a pitcher.  511 wins.  316 losses.  He won 30 games five times (36 in 1892).  

Back-to-back would be impressive but possible.

But to BREAK the record, you'd have to throw three in a row.

• Plus1 1