RB Thomas Grayson [Kansas State - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

35 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Grayson Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, ScottyIce said:

I’m not disagreeing with this system AT ALL, but on the other hand how many National Titles has Wisconsin won doing this?

There are some pretty compelling arguments that you need more high end talent this day and age to win it all more times than not.

I will also add that Wisconsin has recruited some damn good RB over the last few years.  They weren't just some .8000 low 3 star "system" guys.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I will also add that Wisconsin has recruited some damn good RB over the last few years.  They weren't just some .8000 low 3 star "system" guys.

I know it is higher than Thomas Grayson is currently ranked, but 3-star Jonathan Taylor was only the 44th ranked rb (by 247 sports) in May of 2016 when he was committed to Rutgers and Wisconsin offered.  His only offers from "big time" programs were from Wisconsin and Va Tech in May of 2016.  He did not decommit from Rutgers until October of 2016 and committed to Wisconsin a few days later in November of 2016.  It wasn't like a ton of teams were beating down the door for this guy as no one else offered after those two May offers and his rankings kept increasing at Rivals and 247.  So, just because he ended up being a damn good RB and fairly highly ranked by the services in the end doesn't mean everyone thought so at the time of his recruitment.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

I’m not disagreeing with this system AT ALL, but on the other hand how many National Titles has Wisconsin won doing this?

There are some pretty compelling arguments that you need more high end talent this day and age to win it all more times than not.

And it's not mutually exclusive. You can still build the culture, maximize talent through development, etc... But when you have more natural talent to develop it works even better. See Bama, OSU, OU, Clem, UGA now. 

I do think the first part is the first step, and likely the most important. Otherwise you end up like UF, LSU, Texas the last 5-8 years. 

Edited by Warrior10
  • Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

And it's not mutually exclusive. You can still build the culture, maximize talent through development, etc... But when you have more natural talent to develop it works even better. See Bama, OSU, OU, Clem, UGA now. 

I do think the first part is the first step, and likely the most important. Otherwise you end up like UF, LSU, Texas the last 5-8 years. 

You sound like Mike Riley :-)

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I know his rating is not high right now. But for those talking about natural talent right now. The guy says he is running a 10.7 right now as a junior. He could be in the 10.5 range a year from now as a senior track guy. On what planet is that not an elite athlete 

Mars probably, since it only has about 38% of the gravity the Earth does. 

But yeah I agree for an Earthling that’s pretty good. 

• Plus1 5
16 hours ago, yort2000 said:

I know it is higher than Thomas Grayson is currently ranked, but 3-star Jonathan Taylor was only the 44th ranked rb (by 247 sports) in May of 2016 when he was committed to Rutgers and Wisconsin offered.  His only offers from "big time" programs were from Wisconsin and Va Tech in May of 2016.  He did not decommit from Rutgers until October of 2016 and committed to Wisconsin a few days later in November of 2016.  It wasn't like a ton of teams were beating down the door for this guy as no one else offered after those two May offers and his rankings kept increasing at Rivals and 247.  So, just because he ended up being a damn good RB and fairly highly ranked by the services in the end doesn't mean everyone thought so at the time of his recruitment.

I understand what you are saying.  My point is about this mythical story every year that Wisconsin starts 22 Walk ons (exaggeration) and they win their customary 9-10, sometimes 11 games a year by just pure development and coaching.  It's not the case.  Although they have had a lot of success stories over the years.

Jonathan Taylor became the stud back that Wisconsin got out of HS because HE worked at it his senior year.  He went from #44 to #24.  And went from mid 80's to an 88.  That was him.  Not Wisconsin.  

This isn't to take away from what he was able to do his first year there either.  It's just an observation that Wisconsin, while not usually having the highest recruiting rankings, does in fact recruit some positions very well.

Also, this is not a knock on Grayson.  It's understandable that he would be rated low if he only has a year of game film because of an injury.  I suspect he will see a jump much like Maurice Washington did last year.

13 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I know his rating is not high right now. But for those talking about natural talent right now. The guy says he is running a 10.7 right now as a junior. He could be in the 10.5 range a year from now as a senior track guy. On what planet is that not an elite athlete 

Fast 100 does not equate to great football prospect. It may in this scenario but there are plenty of great track guys who would never sniff a D-1 field.

4 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I understand what you are saying.  My point is about this mythical story every year that Wisconsin starts 22 Walk ons (exaggeration) and they win their customary 9-10, sometimes 11 games a year by just pure development and coaching.  It's not the case.  Although they have had a lot of success stories over the years.

Jonathan Taylor became the stud back that Wisconsin got out of HS because HE worked at it his senior year.  He went from #44 to #24.  And went from mid 80's to an 88.  That was him.  Not Wisconsin.  

This isn't to take away from what he was able to do his first year there either.  It's just an observation that Wisconsin, while not usually having the highest recruiting rankings, does in fact recruit some positions very well.

Also, this is not a knock on Grayson.  It's understandable that he would be rated low if he only has a year of game film because of an injury.  I suspect he will see a jump much like Maurice Washington did last year.

The script on Wisconsin is true. While you are right they recruit a few positions well on a consistent basis (e.g., RB), their recruiting classes are not Top 15, or even Top 35, year in, year out. They recruit the second-tier (even third-tier) guy that fits the system, and coaching and culture takes over when they get to campus.

• Plus1 1

Absolutely tickled to get this guy and secure the commitment.  For whatever reason I think NU is going to have a dogfight with Okie Lite for this guy's services until the bitter end.  I've watched enough Oregon and UCF games to know that this type of player is tailor made for NU's offense under Frost but until we actually see it, it's a little bit of 'take our word for it'.  This guy is perfect for Okie Lite's offense too.  Hopefully NU can hang on here because you can never have too much elite speed.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Absolutely tickled to get this guy and secure the commitment.  For whatever reason I think NU is going to have a dogfight with Okie Lite for this guy's services until the bitter end.  I've watched enough Oregon and UCF games to know that this type of player is tailor made for NU's offense under Frost but until we actually see it, it's a little bit of 'take our word for it'.  This guy is perfect for Okie Lite's offense too.  Hopefully NU can hang on here because you can never have too much elite speed.

I agree. His recruitment could start heating up. You see how fast Held moved to get Grayson on campus once Tennessee offered. They are trying to lock him down before more teams get to him on their evaluation, imo. 

1 hour ago, STL Husker said:

Any offers this early are to guys high on the list.  He may not have high ratings, but the staff must think he is pretty good for an offer before his senior year starts.  I would be more concerned if we were offering guys of his rating in December or January before signing day.

This is an insightful comment. There is a lot of time between now a the signing periods, and with the juice this staff has right now nationally, they should be able to make a push for guys they want.

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Fast 100 does not equate to great football prospect. It may in this scenario but there are plenty of great track guys who would never sniff a D-1 field.

I understand that. My point is you look at his skill set and what we would be asking him to do. UCF Killins. 

Plus he has some nice looking film so he is a football guy as well. 

Plus he has an SEC offer. So Nebraska and Tennessee just offered. I am sure more will follow- the recruiting services always start upping guys star ratings soon as they see more big time offers. Which is them acknowledging they missed on evaluating him and are just following the big schools lead. Which shows they dont necessarily know all like some believe.

Edited by Huskers93-97
  • Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to RB Thomas Grayson [Kansas State - Signed LOI]