DB Quinton Newsome [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

53 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Newsome Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

If I worked at 247 that is what I would say too. If I admitted we looked at how many P5 programs were after them that would take away from the belief we are great at evaluating in our own right. If that kid picks alabama or georgia his rating will go up. If he picks nebraska, oregon or ole miss it will stay the same. 

• Plus1 7
1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If I worked at 247 that is what I would say too. If I admitted we looked at how many P5 programs were after them that would take away from the belief we are great at evaluating in our own right. If that kid picks alabama or georgia his rating will go up. If he picks nebraska, oregon or ole miss it will stay the same. 

I have to believe that they don't consider the offers because if 8 of 14 SEC teams offer a kid and he's at the same school as a bunch of other really good kids, that means the coaches see something the recruiting services aren't

12 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

I guess you have to ask yourself  who is better at evaluations, P5 coaching staffs or recruiting services? /TongueInCheek

I think it's fair to question what a coach sees in a player when they are the only P5 offer to said player or the only "major" P5 offer.  But when a kid has 20+ offers that include a lot of big hitters, I start to wonder where the disconnect is between coaches and services.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

I guess you have to ask yourself who is better at evaluations, P5 coaching staffs or recruiting services? /TongueInCheek

I side with the coaches 100% of the time. 

Recruiting services evaluators are glorified sports writers. Coaches make millions- who knows what sports writers make- not millions. 

Also i will use 97 as an example. I value the coaches saying Nebraska was national champs that a bunch of dingle berry sports writers picking michigan. Sorry but the opinion of experts in the field means way more to me than sports writers. Those guys went to school for journalism- they are not trained in football.

15 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think it's fair to question what a coach sees in a player when they are the only P5 offer to said player or the only "major" P5 offer.  But when a kid has 20+ offers that include a lot of big hitters, I start to wonder where the disconnect is between coaches and services.

A coaching staff has various motives to offer a prospect as it relates to where that recruit fits on their "Big Board", and since we are not privy to how they fit on that board, it is hard to know how their evaluation lead to the offer. This is obvious but makes it difficult for fans to understand recruiting strategies of a coaching staff.

What if coaches gave a grade or rating with each offer? :sarcasm

25 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I side with the coaches 100% of the time. 

Recruiting services evaluators are glorified sports writers. Coaches make millions- who knows what sports writers make- not millions. 

Also i will use 97 as an example. I value the coaches saying Nebraska was national champs that a bunch of dingle berry sports writers picking michigan. Sorry but the opinion of experts in the field means way more to me than sports writers. Those guys went to school for journalism- they are not trained in football.

Both have blinders. 

Sports writers see the width, but lack the depth.

Coaches see the depth, but with almost no width.

The coaches poll is often done by someone's secretary. :P

It's also worth noting coaches are not scouts. They are two very different jobs with skills that somewhat crossover. See the NFL where many coaches have tried to be GM and failed. Lots of people "know football", including writers and TV personalities, but that doesn't mean they are equipped for every (or perhaps any) job in football.

• Plus1 1

I will say 1 angle I probably over looked. And I think its fair to say we all over look it- including rating services. I would like to know what criteria the rating services are ranking kids. What offensive system are they ranking them based off? Maybe there is a kid who has 5 star value to frost- but to a pro style attack he is a high 3 star. You have spread, option attacks, pro style etc. Many different styles of offense. Its impossible to rate all the kids as they would relate to every style of offense or defense for that matter.

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

To add to this discussion, I'm pretty sure coaches have access to more tape of players, and are able to see players up close with personal workouts.

• 2 weeks later...