DB Quinton Newsome [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

53 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Newsome Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

"It was a blessing for him to receive all these offers — Auburn, Georgia, Stanford, Oregon — he had 20-plus offers," said Newsome. "We got out and started visiting these schools, so the main thing we did, was to evaluate the schools and the programs the way they were evaluating us.

"As parents, we looked at the degree in what Quinton wanted to major in. We also wanted to make sure, whatever school he went to, that the coaches had his best interest. Not only about football, but graduating with a degree.

"That was the main things we were looking at."

They all found what they were looking for in Lincoln. Like his son, coaches were calling Mr. Newsome and recruiting him too.

The closeness of the new staff at Nebraska really impressed the Newsome family.

"The majority of the coaching staffs of the schools we visited were pretty good, but there was something different about Nebraska. It really felt like home there and my wife and I felt like it was a good fit for Quinton.

"You could tell that coach Frost and the coaching staff gel together. A prime example of that was when coach Frost left Central Florida and almost the entire staff went with him to Nebraska. That says a lot right there. It lets you know that those guys get along well and I see them going in the right direction."

Rivals

I don't know if he's an outside guy at the next level, probably will play between the hashes, but I like him. I always look for defensive players that can play outside their area, guys with a lot of intensity and football smarts. Like many in this class, he shows it. Regardless of what position he plays, he's a gamer. 

I think one of the things lost in recruiting with all the ranking systems and scouting is the art of just getting good players on campus and then finding them a home. With the way this staff cross trains all of the positions, and teaches conceptually, I feel they can better find uses for players with the right mindset. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, brophog said:

I don't know if he's an outside guy at the next level, probably will play between the hashes, but I like him. I always look for defensive players that can play outside their area, guys with a lot of intensity and football smarts. Like many in this class, he shows it. Regardless of what position he plays, he's a gamer. 

I think one of the things lost in recruiting with all the ranking systems and scouting is the art of just getting good players on campus and then finding them a home. With the way this staff cross trains all of the positions, and teaches conceptually, I feel they can better find uses for players with the right mindset. 

Example A: Cam Taylor. Nobody knew where to play him, now he's our highest grading CB at the moment. 

• Plus1 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...