JUCO OG Desmond Bland [Nebraska Commit]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

14 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Bland Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm always leery of JUCO offensive lineman, and I'd definitely say I'm a big proponent in general for taking a few JUCO players per year. The big negative for JUCO players is that accelerated clock, they really need to contribute early. Offensive line is a position that doesn't rotate much, and non-starters can therefore have a tough time contributing. It adds to the risk over more athletic positions that can contribute in other ways.

Still, dude has a mean streak. Best of luck.

3 hours ago, brophog said:

I'm always leery of JUCO offensive lineman, and I'd definitely say I'm a big proponent in general for taking a few JUCO players per year. The big negative for JUCO players is that accelerated clock, they really need to contribute early. Offensive line is a position that doesn't rotate much, and non-starters can therefore have a tough time contributing. It adds to the risk over more athletic positions that can contribute in other ways.

Still, dude has a mean streak. Best of luck.

Don't think we will have to worry about this kid being able to contribute.  We will lose both guards next year, and he can play interior and exterior OL

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Mavric said:

They can only leave after one year if they were an academic qualifier out of high school. If they didn't qualify, they have to graduate from the JUCO to be eligible.

So I would guess he redshirted so he had another year to play at the D-1 level.

Injured last year

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

This is great to hear on the talent side of things, but there's a lot to being a great center. They need to be one of the smartest guys on the team.

Maybe he is smart, but considering he didn't qualify academically out of high school, there has to be a touch of uncertainty there. Could be lots of things that led to that.

Still, great pick up.

14 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

This is great to hear on the talent side of things, but there's a lot to being a great center. They need to be one of the smartest guys on the team.

Maybe he is smart, but considering he didn't qualify academically out of high school, there has to be a touch of uncertainty there. Could be lots of things that led to that.

Still, great pick up.

Being smart on the football field and in the classroom are two very different things.

• Plus1 2
20 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Being smart on the football field and in the classroom are two very different things.

I know that very well, but there is at least some correlation. If he struggles in school, then he might have trouble with playbooks, film study, and classroom sessions. I've never had a player that knows the offense or defense inside and out that also struggled to stay eligible. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's not coming. There is some correlation between classroom smarts and football smarts.

THAT SAID, I never said he's not smart. I said there has to be a touch of uncertainty there.

3 hours ago, huskered17 said:

Watched his highlight film. Does it seem like he gets away with a lot of holds on those pan cake blocks, or blind side hits, Maybe they just don't call it as much in juco, but just saying, I don't think that will fly in the B1G.  

GBR!!!

Watching Wisconsin play I have to disagree with this. I think any team that has a oline that performs very well pushes the limits on holding. 

• 2 weeks later...