JUCO OG Desmond Bland [Nebraska Commit]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

14 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Bland Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

I did my doctoral work at Florida State. I would never wish living in Tallahassee upon anyone. They don't call it "Talla-nasty" for nothing. Here's a quick pro's and con's list.

Pro:

1. I could go for a run in shorts and a t-shirt any time of the year. It hit freezing a few times (everyone lost their s#!t by the way).

2. Campus had some interesting historical figures recognizing the Seminole tribe that gave the land to the state for the university

3. Southern Live Oak trees with Spanish moss. Driving down a narrow road with that as a canopy was really awesome

4. Wildlife was great. Very different for a Nebraska boy.

5. Great fishing

6. ...not sure what to put here

Cons:

1. Humidity near 100% all year round

2. Year-round mosquitoes. Multiple species of mosquitoes that have their own peak breeding season throughout the year. 

3. Humidity + mosquitoes in the summer. It was too damn hot that you wanted to sit outside but you had to move around outside or you were eaten alive by droves of mosquitoes.

4. The food was terrible. I have lived many places in the US, and it is easy to say that sans four restaurants (Osaka's, Decent Pizza, Aladdin's, and Whataburger), the food was crap. I remember driving through Missouri back to Nebraska and ate at a Burger King. I realized then that the crap they pass as beef in restaurants in Tallahassee was so terrible words can't describe. And, I am telling you I thought that burger was from heaven (a burger from BK).

5. No wind. The tall cypress and pine trees cut the coastal winds so the humid air just sat on you stagnant.

6. No palm trees...except at the airport (planted to trick tourists that they are in Florida not southern Georgia)

7. 3 hours+ to white sand beaches. Yes, you are 30 minutes from the coast in Tallahassee if you want to stand in the mud. Three hours to Jacksonville, Pensacola, or St. George's

8. When I first moved there, I was told "in Florida the further north you go the further south you are". The panhandle area is southern Georgia not the white sand beaches of Miami-Dade. And, you have a lot of thinly veiled racism. It's depressing to be around.

9. 3 bars a block apart for college students and they are disgusting. No other nightlife (well house parties and the like)

10. Small city, crappy traffic. Tallahassee is way smaller than Lincoln, but as the state capital with two major universities (FSU and FAMU) all downtown with only three main roads out of the downtown area to take you North, East, or Southwest, traffic sucked. I lived in DC, so no it was not that bad. But for a small city, traffic is way worse than it should be. City planning fail.

11. No zoos or interesting attractions. Really boring honestly.

12. Gun crime is really bad around the campus area.

13. You were living with c$%kroaches. Every place had them. No getting around it.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
18 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

I did my doctoral work at Florida State. I would never wish living in Tallahassee upon anyone. They don't call it "Talla-nasty" for nothing. Here's a quick pro's and con's list.

Pro:

1. I could go for a run in shorts and a t-shirt any time of the year. It hit freezing a few times (everyone lost their s#!t by the way).

2. Campus had some interesting historical figures recognizing the Seminole tribe that gave the land to the state for the university

3. Southern Live Oak trees with Spanish moss. Driving down a narrow road with that as a canopy was really awesome

5. Great fishing

Cons:

2. Year-round mosquitoes. Multiple species of mosquitoes that had their own peak breeding season throughout the year. 

3. Humidity + mosquitoes in the summer. It was too damn hot that you wanted to sit outside but you had to move around outside or you were eaten alive by droves of mosquitoes.

4. The food was terrible. I have lived many places in the US, and it is easy to say that sans four restaurants (Osaka's, Decent Pizza, Aladdin's, and Whataburger), the food was crap. I remember driving through Missouri back to Nebraska and ate at a Burger King. I realized then that the crap they pass as beef in restaurants in Tallahassee was so terrible words can't describe. And, I am telling you I thought that burger was from heaven (a burger from BK).

5. No wind. The tall cypress and pine trees cut the coastal winds so the humid air just sat on you stagnant.

6. No palm trees...except at the airport (planted to trick tourist that they are in Florida not southern Georgia)

7. 3 hours+ to white sand beaches. Yes, you are 30 minutes from the coast in Tallahassee if you want to stand in the mud. Three hours to Jacksonville, Pensacola, or St. George's

8. When I first moved there, I was told "in Florida the further north you go the further south you are". The panhandle area is southern Georgia not the white sand beaches of Miami-Dade. And, you have a lot of thinly veiled racism. It's depressing to be around.

9. 3 bars a block apart for college students and they are disgusting. No other nightlife (well house parties and the like)

10. Small city, crappy traffic. Tallahassee is way smaller than Lincoln, but as the state capital with two major universities (FSU and FAMU) all downtown with only three main roads out of the downtown area to take you North, East, or Southwest, traffic sucked. I lived in DC, so no it was not that bad. But for a small city, traffic is way worse than it should be. City planning fail.

13. You were living with c$%kroaches. Every place had them. No getting around it.

I lived in the Tampa area for a while. They liked to call their c$%kroaches palmetto bugs. Don't fall for it, they're just huge c$%kroaches.

Pro:

5. Great fishing

Cons:

2. Year-round mosquitoes. Multiple species of mosquitoes that have their own peak breeding season throughout the year. 

6. No palm trees...except at the airport (planted to trick tourists that they are in Florida not southern Georgia)

Spot on. Tallahassee is basically southern Georgia and deep south culturally. I chuckled about the palm trees because it's true. My cousin went to FAMU and visited him a few times.

Pros: (5) 
<snippage>

Cons:

What a great post! I think we need Husker Fans in all parts of the U.S. (to put together a similar CONS list for all of the schools we recruit against). Then somebody could post a link to it anytime a recruit Tweets that they have received an offer from a competing school. LOL.

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1