JUCO OG Desmond Bland [Nebraska Commit]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

14 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Bland Commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

He will have had 3 years to complete 60ish credit hours....level 100 and 200 courses only.....

I get the convenience of the lazy/partier implication. Especially as we are not privy to the level of information to warrant an informed decision. Though it bothers me when people/posts are dismissive of a kid by oversimplifying the situation. He has made his own bed but there might be a little more to it than that.

To clear the NCAA 40-60-80 rule he would need 60% of a degree completed by the end of his third year. At 120 credit hours for NU graduation that would be 72 hours. Not a giant hurdle but that is the actual number with which he is dealing.

1. All of those have to be applicable to the same major to hit the 60% mark. This can be very tricky if he ever changed majors or started very gen ed and now wants to go a major with a heavy emphasis. Something writing intensive would likely cause just as much problem as something math intensive.

2. All have to be at a grade high enough to be accepted by the transferring institution.

3. All of the courses must actually be transferable to NU. JUCOs are really good at creating "unique" courses that might not fit into the transferring schools curriculum. e.g. A California JUCO might have a 'History of the Southwest' course that Nebraska would not accept because they did not have anything that specific in the current course catalog(personal experience on this one). Usually this is mitigated by local JUCOs tailoring for local 4-year schools. There are large discrepancies from Kansas schools to NU let alone from Arizona schools to NU. I'm sure he would have registered for the semester with some heavy input from NU Admissions folks to try and alleviate this.

So if he took 12 hours a semester for three years he would be at 72 credits. If even one course did not transfer he would not be eligible even if he had a 4.0 GPA. I'm not claiming this is his exact situation but hopefully demonstrating that lack of guidance early in the process or a change of direction can screw a student athlete more than anything else. Even when they are doing everything they are asked.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, zeWilbur said:

I get the convenience of the lazy/partier implication. Especially as we are not privy to the level of information to warrant an informed decision. Though it bothers me when people/posts are dismissive of a kid by oversimplifying the situation. He has made his own bed but there might be a little more to it than that.

To clear the NCAA 40-60-80 rule he would need 60% of a degree completed by the end of his third year. At 120 credit hours for NU graduation that would be 72 hours. Not a giant hurdle but that is the actual number with which he is dealing.

1. All of those have to be applicable to the same major to hit the 60% mark. This can be very tricky if he ever changed majors or started very gen ed and now wants to go a major with a heavy emphasis. Something writing intensive would likely cause just as much problem as something math intensive.

2. All have to be at a grade high enough to be accepted by the transferring institution.

3. All of the courses must actually be transferable to NU. JUCOs are really good at creating "unique" courses that might not fit into the transferring schools curriculum. e.g. A California JUCO might have a 'History of the Southwest' course that Nebraska would not accept because they did not have anything that specific in the current course catalog(personal experience on this one). Usually this is mitigated by local JUCOs tailoring for local 4-year schools. There are large discrepancies from Kansas schools to NU let alone from Arizona schools to NU. I'm sure he would have registered for the semester with some heavy input from NU Admissions folks to try and alleviate this.

So if he took 12 hours a semester for three years he would be at 72 credits. If even one course did not transfer he would not be eligible even if he had a 4.0 GPA. I'm not claiming this is his exact situation but hopefully demonstrating that lack of guidance early in the process or a change of direction can screw a student athlete more than anything else. Even when they are doing everything they are asked.

Good info. Thanks

I mean you also have to include the below instead of just suggesting the 40-60-80 rule, 

• Need to attend a two-year college as a full-time student for at least three semesters (excluding summer terms).

• Graduate from a two-year college (25% of units must be completed at the two year school that awards the degree).

• Need a minimum of 48 transferable units of degree credit.  The transferable units MUST include 6 semester units in English, 3 semester units of Math and 3 semester units of Science

• Need a minimum GPA of 2.50 in transferable units and pass 6 units in your last full-time term.  No more than 2 units of PE courses can be used to meet the transfer degree credit or GPA requirements

**NOTE – Summer School Limitation!! Students entering a Division I college may not earn more than 18 semester units of transferable coursework during the summer and only 9 semester units of transferable degree credit may be earned during the summer immediately before transfer.

They are allowed up to 18 credit hours in the summer as well, so the 12 credit hours per term etc to get the 72 is nice but online summer courses etc really make it not as daunting as you are making it sound....If it is so difficult to navigate how do so many kids make it to campuses from JUCO's? 

All I am saying is a kid has ample time over the course of 3 full academic years to meet requirements to attend a 4 year institution. He has the term that is just starting to finish the degree so hopefully he has actually done what is needed to cross the finish line. In the end the most important thing is getting your dang degree. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

so you want him to walk on and then put him on scholly for his senior year? I doubt the young man gets academically cleared to join NU unfortunately and I hope I am very wrong. 

He seems like a question to qualify. If he qualifies in summer, he initially enrolls as a walk on and can be awarded a scholarship the day fall camp starts. He then counts against the 2020 class. 

That is defined by the NCAA as not having any of the following: an official visit to the school or a letter of intent issued for the student athlete to submit.

If neither of those have occurred, the player is eligible to be a blueshirt beginning the day after fall camp starts. At that point, he may be awarded a scholarship and counted forwarded to the next year’s recruiting class.

https://reignoftroy.com/2015/01/24/football-recruiting-blueshirt/

51 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I believe I read that's only an option when an official visit hasn't been used anyway.

Plus, I would be surprised if more than about five guys in the country did that.

Rivals and 24/7 shows he hasn't taken any officials. Did he official here? It was a completely speculative post. The 2020 class is already small, so I'm not sure the coaches would want to do that anyways. 

2 minutes ago, theknife said:

He seems like a question to qualify. If he qualifies in summer, he initially enrolls as a walk on and can be awarded a scholarship the day fall camp starts. He then counts against the 2020 class. 

Rivals and 24/7 shows he hasn't taken any officials. Did he official here? It was a completely speculative post. The 2020 class is already small, so I'm not sure the coaches would want to do that anyways. 

no he hasnt