2018-2019 Season Notes

Just now, teachercd said:

I think you will see Miles try and steal some rests for guys right before a TV timeout...right before the half...If they get up 15-20 I could see him steal some rest time...

Yeah, that would make sense.

If it were me, I'd probably try to keep four starters on the court most of the time and rotate the subs through.  You probably have to get about 40 minutes out of your bench - that would be all the starters playing 32 minutes each.  If you could put in Borchardt for 5-6 minutes and give Copeland and Roby 2-3 minutes of rest during that time, then put in Allen for 5-6 minutes and get Watson and Palmer a couple minutes each during that stretch and so on, you could minimize it pretty well.

And just hope we don't get in much foul trouble.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like Allen is pretty set as the fifth starter.

Obviously our starting lineup should be pretty good but we're going to have to have some bench guys step up who haven't done much here yet.

Harris is the first guard off the bench, Akenten will play the wing and Borchardt will play down low.  Heiman will probably get a few minutes but that's about the extent of our bench.

so Chan is in line for zero minutes? What is the point of taking him exactly then? 

9 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

this staff wastes scholarships like no other. Take a JUCO big late and he can't even see the floor over a walk on. Good Lord

I agree it is frustrating but Borchardt is a 4th year guy.. Yes a walk on is beating out a scholarship guy but two different spots in their life.

I think Chan is a shot in the dark. 

The Thor move was really bad and came off desperate. 

1 minute ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I agree it is frustrating but Borchardt is a 4th year guy.. Yes a walk on is beating out a scholarship guy but two different spots in their life.

I think Chan is a shot in the dark. 

The Thor move was really bad and came off desperate. 

yeah i don't mean to demean Borchardt when I say that but if you're going to use a scholarship on a JUCO and then your best option at that position is a walk-on instead...

We have no big men and he still can't see the floor. That says something. Borchardt wasn't even playing basketball 14 months ago.

The Thor scholarship is even worse than the Fuller scholarship. I'd love to know how when we're evaluating kids for offers Thor and Chan get the green light but guys like Chang and Wingett don't. Its baffling to me.  

11 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

yeah i don't mean to demean Borchardt when I say that but if you're going to use a scholarship on a JUCO and then your best option at that position is a walk-on instead...

We have no big men and he still can't see the floor. That says something. Borchardt wasn't even playing basketball 14 months ago.

The Thor scholarship is even worse than the Fuller scholarship. I'd love to know how when we're evaluating kids for offers Thor and Chan get the green light but guys like Chang and Wingett don't. Its baffling to me.  

Chan is 3 year guy.  He was brought in to develop.  Thor will be a situational  player, 3 to 5 min. a game.

8 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I would hold off on lumping Chan in with Thor until we see what happens with the season. Not saying Chan wont ride the pine but wait and see.

I think they look at guys like Thor, Nana, Chan and others as guys who will take a few years but they can mold and teach. That is what you would have had to do with Wingett. Chang was a little more ready to help but not sure if he didnt also cool on us.

But to your point, I agree. If we are going to take chances on guys who need a few years to improve, lets stay local instead of going to Iceland or Minnesota. 

Chan has four years to play three so it's possible that he redshirts to get stronger & work on his game. 

Thor should have redshirted last year, but didn't.  Probably should this year, but if he didn't last year he won't this year unless he gets hurt.  From what I saw in the U-20 Euro Championships his game has improved from what I saw in junk time last year.  Will he ever be a starter?  Probably not, but there's nothing wrong with being a guy off the bench and helping out on the scout team for the first couple of years.  If he doesn't look like he's going to get on the floor by the end of next year it was probably a waste.  Here's a quote from his bio on Huskers.com "Thorbjarnarson's opportunities will come as he continues to improve on his long-range shooting and transitioning to the college game."

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

Chan has four years to play three so it's possible that he redshirts to get stronger & work on his game. 

Thor should have redshirted last year, but didn't.  Probably should this year, but if he didn't last year he won't this year unless he gets hurt.  From what I saw in the U-20 Euro Championships his game has improved from what I saw in junk time last year.  Will he ever be a starter?  Probably not, but there's nothing wrong with being a guy off the bench and helping out on the scout team for the first couple of years.  If he doesn't look like he's going to get on the floor by the end of next year it was probably a waste.  Here's a quote from his bio on Huskers.com "Thorbjarnarson's opportunities will come as he continues to improve on his long-range shooting and transitioning to the college game."

I just dont think we will ever see actual minutes from him and that is because of defense. We saw that with McVeigh.

What I think the rotation will be this year:

Watson

Allen

Palmer

Copeland

Roby

Bench:

Borchardt 

Harris

Akenten

Heiman is in for a redshirt but that could change if someone gets in the doghouse. Chan may see the floor this year but if not he will redshirt. Borchardt will get some playing time. Harris needs to play this year and you have to put Nana out there to get guys some rest. Dachon Burke being immediately eligible would elevate this team and give us lots of depth. Next year will be his year to shine. Expect Miles to go to a 7 man rotation if he needs to win and possibly less as there is a lot of talent separating the starters from the backups. I also would not be surprised if we have Allen come off the bench as teams will pick on him with bigger and taller two guards so slot Harris as the two in that instance.